“Comfortable "home" while on vacation”

Virginian Suites Arlington
Ranked #14 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
Gainesville, FL
“Comfortable "home" while on vacation”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a week-long trip to Washington DC. The metro is a 10-15 minute walk away (but we generally used the free hotel shuttle to/from the metro), and the ride into downtown DC was quick and easy. We loved having the full kitchen in the suite, and we saved a lot of money making meals in our room rather than eating out every meal. The room was clean, comfortable, and quiet. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful, and we liked having coffee, tea, and lemonade available in the lobby.

The hotel isn't especially close to eating/shopping, but we tended to go to DC for those things anyway. The Safeway grocery was a quick (but entirely uphill) walk, and we ended up taking a cab back to the hotel rather than carry our groceries back. The hotel shuttle does go there once daily, but just not at the time we were going.

I would recommend the Virginian Suites to others looking for a spacious, clean, comfortable, and affordable place to stay in the DC area.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Brittany B, Guest Services Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Hello! Thank you for choosing our property for your visit, it sounds like you and your boyfriend had a very nice time with us! Our location works out perfectly for those that want easy access to DC, I'm sure you two are pros at using the Metro system now! Our hotel shuttle comes in handy to get to the Rosslyn Metro station. As you stated, the shuttle also goes to the Safeway grocery store at 6:00pm Monday through Friday, I'm sorry to hear that that particular time didn't work out for your shopping trip. Our suites are much larger than most others in the area, it's great that you were able to cook many of your own meals in our full sized kitchens! They are amazing for trips on a budget. Thanks again for your great feedback on your stay, please stop by and see us again sometime!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Turkish first
Denver
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We just spent a great week at the Virginian Suites. I was a little concerned about a quiet room after reading some of the reviews. The front desk let us look at 3 rooms and decide which on we wanted. Our 10th floor room was not on the Arlington street side or the pool side, but was very quiet and very clean and updated. Since our reservation came through Interval International, we were not included in the free breakfast. Not sure about the equity here, as we paid about the same per night as a regular reservation. We did check out the breakfast one time and it was very good for a continental breakfast. We did find that both restaurants near by ( Lido's and the Quarterdeck) were very good. The Quarterdeck was a little more expensive, but both had great food. They did have a pizza night on Wed, but it wasn't publicized and we missed it. Those travelers used to Interval International stays will miss the handout of what is going on during the week. It was more similar to a hotel stay than an Interval stay. The pool was a great relaxing time at the end of long days. The metro is close by and very convenient to use. The shuttle does run on weekdays, but was a little unreliable some days. Overall, we enjoyed the stay and would recommend it as a close place stay for a D.C. visit. The staff was great. Very friendly and helpful.

2 Thank kwhdenver
Greetings to you! Thank you so much for your great review on the Virginian Suites Arlington! It's great that our staff helped you in getting the perfect suite for your stay, it sounds like it worked out very well for you. You are right in that some guests do have our continental included with their reservation (if they opted for it), while others choose to add it on upon arrival or have it day by day. We get a lot of compliments on our breakfast, I'm glad that you enjoyed it. The restaurants nearby are very convenient to our guests, we get great reviews on them all the time! I apologize for the fact that our Wednesday evening pizza party was not promoted to you, we are currently working on ways to better communicate that event to our guests. It's great that you were able to enjoy our additional amenities, such as our hotel shuttle and our pool. Both are great ways to relax during your time with us! Thank again for choosing us for your visit to the DC area, we hope to see you again soon at the Virginian Suites!
La Mesa, California
Reviewed September 1, 2013

The hotel was about what I expected. The front desk people are all very pleasant. The rooms are good sized. It's about a 10-15 minute walk to a CVS, Safeway, many restaurants and a Metro. There's a tiny market about 2 blocks away. There's a very good Pho restaurant about 20 minutes away walking. The area is very safe, even late at night. Unfortunately, the cleaning staff are very inattentive. They left a discarded bottle on our floor, forgot to replace our coffee, gave us only hand towels one day and only floor mats the other. There was a grease spot on the side of our tub that they never cleaned. Also, many of the lights in the parking light were out, so it was very dark walking back to the hotel at night, and easy to trip on things. Also, the property has two small elevators, and there is sometimes a long wait. This would be a problem for someone disabled who can't climb stairs.

Room Tip: Choose a high floor only if you're a good stair climber.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hello there, thank you so much on your feedback about the Virginian Suites! I am really glad to hear that you enjoyed interacting with our front desk staff, and it sounds like our location and what's around the property worked out for you during your stay. I am saddened to hear that there were some aspects of your time with us that did not please you. The issues you had regarding the cleanliness of your suite are not common at our hotel, and they have been reported to our housekeeping staff to ensure that those items are not overlooked for our future guests. Our engineering staff is aware of the lights issue in our parking lot and are currently working to take care of it. Also, I do apologize for the delay with our elevators. Our hotel is quite large, and both of the elevators are in constant use by our guests throughout the day. I do hope that these issues do not prevent you from returning to us someday! Please give us a call at 703-522-9600, we would love to arrange a new reservation for you. Thanks again for your review, we hope to see you again here at the Virginian Suites.
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I enjoyed the front desk staff Karen. She checked me in immediately, she was very nice, and mde sure my stay was most comfortable. I would come back anytime i visit. She made me very comfortable. She was very soft spoken. My visit was most fortunate. The rooms are amazing with great views. This place makes me feel at home. I love The Virginian Suites. I will not visit another hotel when i come back and visit. Thank you very much.

• Stayed August 2013
Brittany B, Guest Services Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Hello there! I am really glad to hear that you felt right at home here at the Virginian Suites Arlington! Karen is one of our senior front desk staff members, she is a real pleasure to work with! She is just one example of our amazing staff and their great customer service skills. Thank you as well for your nice comments on our suites. There's so much space in them, and the kitchens are great for if you want to cook. I am so happy that you plan on returning to us again sometime, we are looking forward to your next visit! Thanks again for the great review, keep in touch!
whitneywh
Reviewed August 19, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for one night to attend a Washington, DC concert. Our experience was amazing. The location can't be beat—it's right off I-66 and right next door to Arlington National Cemetery and very close to the Rosslyn Metro Station.

Calling the rooms "suites" isn't accurate here; they are really apartments. I would estimate them to be around 600 - 700 square feet, with a full (but very small) kitchen, a large dining area, a living room area, a separate bedroom, a office desk, and a full bathroom. I only have one complaint about the room and that's that the bathroom only has a pedestal sink so there's no counter space at all, which is very tough for two people who need to get ready. But otherwise, the rooms had huge windows overlooking lovely high-rise buildings, and there was a lot of light, and everything was very clean. There were 2 large closets, so really, staying at this place for an extended stay would be great! We are seriously considering coming back for a week to enjoy more of what D.C. has to offer and staying here!

This building is older, I'm not sure when it was constructed (maybe mid-20th century?) but it's newly renovated and very modern and pleasant. There was heating and A/C in both the main dining/living room and also in the bedroom, which was very nice.

There is no breakfast at this hotel to speak of, which is a little odd. The front desk said there are "breakfast sandwiches we can heat up" but we slept too late to visit the 3rd floor breakfast area to grab them. Oh, well.

Parking was $9 per night which isn't too bad I suppose. We got a very good night's sleep and the area and the building were not noisy or anything. But we also stayed on a weekday night so it may be different over a weekend.

There is a pool but we didn't have time to visit it. There was also free coffee and lemonade in the lobby, but we also never got around to partaking.

This was a top-notch experience and I will definitely stay here again! I am telling my parents about the Virginian Suites so they can plan a D.C. trip and enjoy these large "apartment" sized suites and this great location themselves.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to be the same large size; like all city hotels I imagine rooms are quieter on the hi...
2 Thank whitneywh
Brittany B, Guest Services Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Hello to you! I am so glad to hear that you and your boyfriend enjoyed your evening with us at the Virginian Suites Arlington. Our location works out very well if you are planning to go into DC. whether you drive, take the Metro, or even walk (Georgetown is only a 20 minute walk away)! You are right in that our hotel used to be an apartment complex, so that's where all that space comes from! We do have a lot of long term guests who are with us on extended stays, so for them our property is home.

I am sorry to hear that our breakfast was miscommunicated to you. Yes, we do have some breakfast sandwiches that can be heated up in a microwave, but by no means is that all our breakfast provides! We have a great variety of fresh fruits, yogurts, pastries, and cereals, as well as your choice of coffee, tea, and juices. You may either opt to have our breakfast included with your reservation at booking, or you may add it on at our front desk by purchasing a voucher.

You are right in that our parking is $9 a night. That is actually a very good bargain in the Arlington area! Most hotels in DC charge at least $34 a night for parking, so for that reason alone it is much more worthwhile to stay with us.

It's a shame that you weren't able to visit our pool, it is open until Labor Day if you'd like to visit us again! We are looking forward to hearing from you and your parents, we hope to see you again here at the Virginian Suites!
Reviewed August 18, 2013

We had the chance to go to D.C. for a couple of days, the Virginian was an excellent choice. Rooms clean, staff super attentive, and the location is great. The hotel provided free shuttle service to the metro station. You can take the orange line to see the national museums, and all the sites easily. The hotel has free breakfast and free beverages and refreshments in the lobby. Rooms have a small kitchen to prepare meals and best of all there is a grocery store reasonably priced close by. If you don't have a car, the hotel provides a shuttle to the store at 600 pm. All in all very convenient and reasonably priced, unlike hotels in the D.C. area which cost anywhere drop 300-600$/night!. You can't go wrong here.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank lpriante
Greetings to you, and thank you for the great review! Our property is in a great spot in Arlington, especially with being so close to the Metro (either a 10 minute walk or a short ride on our hotel shuttle). From there, you have all of DC at your finger tips via the blue and orange lines! It's great that you had breakfast included with your reservation, it is a nice healthy continental that we get a lot of compliments on. Guests are raving about our new Pura Vida coffee, available in the breakfast room as well as in our lobby's drink station! The lemonade is also nice for those hot summer days. The kitchens in the suites come in handy, especially during a family stay or for those guests who simply enjoy cooking. Being so close to both a local market and a Safeway grocery store helps a lot too! We thank you so much for choosing us for your visit, please stop by and see us again at the Virginian Suites Arlington!
South Park Township, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 18, 2013

I would like to thank the entire staff at the Virginian Suites Arlington for making our visit very relaxing and enjoyable. As we were traveling with 4 dogs (crated at night and when we were away from the room), I had to make sure we were all welcome. Michael Gray answered all of my questions and accommodated ALL of our needs by allowing us to stay in a room that was usually not rented out as it was not yet renovated. It was a perfect room as it was one of only two in the complex that had a door that opened directly to the outside and was not surrounded on all sides by other rooms. As Michael indicated it was not yet renovated, but it was VERY clean and ALL appliances worked. I enjoyed the comfort of the suite. I was especially relieved when he stated that we did not have to be with the dogs 24/7 while we were there. Michael certainly gave us the opportunity to enjoy the wedding we were in town to attend. All the staff were friendly and professional, and the breakfast was quite good. When were checking out on Sunday morning, I again encountered two very pleasant young ladies working at the front desk who even asked if we would bring the dogs into the reception area of the hotel so they might see and pet them. I would highly recommend this hotel to all guests. The next visit to Washington, D.C. will see us staying here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Greetings! I am so glad to hear that we were able to accommodate you and your pets during your stay. The Virginian Suites Arlington is a pet friendly property. Guests that want to bring their pets may do so, as long as they provide a non-refundable $150 pet deposit. It sounds like the suite you were placed in worked out perfectly for your stay! They are great if you need to step outside often. We also appreciate your nice comments on our breakfast and our staff! I am happy that Michael Gray was able to assist you with your reservation, our staff always goes above and beyond to help our guests. Please come back and visit us again soon! We would love to hear from you again here at the Virginian Suites.