“Good HQ for a Memorial weekend wedding in DC”

Virginian Suites Arlington
Ranked #11 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were attending a wedding over Memorial Day weekend on the grounds of the Jefferson Memorial, with a reception to follow at the Top of the Town reception hall a block from this hotel. So this was the official suggested hotel for the wedding, so we stayed here. Given Washington hotel prices I thought this was an excellent value for around $120 a night. We got a spacious room with a queen bed, walk-in closet, couch, upholstered chair, large desk and desk chair, and a full kitchen -- full size refrigerator, four-burner stove, oven, microwave, sink, and all necessary utensils. The view wasn't much -- despite being on the 9th floor, all we couild see was trees. (The hotel is built into a hill, so the entrance on the back of the hotel is the 4th floor.) The room was scrupulously clean. Big flat planel TV with good selection of channels. So-so water pressure and as others have noted it takes a few minutes for the water to get really hot. Didn't use the small exercise room. Outdoor pool was scheduled to open Memorial Day, the day we checked out. Location was very convenient, walking distance to Arlington Cemetery, the Iwo Jima memorial, and Rosslyn's business district (BAE, etc.). It's a quick 10 minute walk to the Rosslyn Metro station, which takes you quickly to all the National Mall tourist attractions. Good crab shack style restaurant called the Quarterdeck just up the hill behind the hotel, a five minute walk (there's a good convenience store there too to stock up your room). We would definitely stay here again for a DC visit (especially since hotels close to the National Mall run $300-$400 a night). My only complaint was that it was Memorial Day weekend, when tends of thousands of Harley riders converge on DC for something called Rolling Thunder, and they started firing up their obnoxiously loud bikes at 6:30 or 7 in the morning...

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank madmatthew
Brittany B, Guest Services Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Greetings to you, and thanks for the great comments on your stay at the Virginian Suites Arlington! It sounds like our hotel was the perfect venue for you and your wedding party guests. I had heard from one of your guests about the wedding taking place at the Jefferson Memorial, I bet that was a beautiful setting! That memorial is one of my favorite places in DC, you are more than welcome to send us pictures if you'd like!

I'm glad that you enjoyed your suite, like you stated they are a great size for both short term and long term stays. Thank you very much for your kind words regarding the cleanliness of the suite, our housekeeping staff does everything they can to ensure you are comfortable during your stay. My apologies that you had some issues with the water pressure and temperature, I hope our engineering staff was able to fix those for you! Also, I love our location, especially since we are so close to the Metro, and some of DC's best memorials, restaurants, and shops!

I am sorry that you were disturbed by some motorcycle noise during your visit. We are a popular destination for Rolling Thunder on Memorial Day weekend, so we get a large amount of motorcycle riders that stay with us during that time period. I know they had to get up early on Sunday morning to start the rally at the Pentagon, I hope that the additional noise didn't distract you from your amazing wedding weekend!

Thanks again for your great review, and we are looking forward to your next visit here at the Virginian Suites.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Should I ever return to Arlington, the Virginian Suites Arlington, will be my first choice! The price is right, the location is convenient, the hotel is totally satisfactory, and the entire Staff is wonderful! Our room was exceptionally clean and spacious, with a kitchenette and the essentials to cook and serve if needed. The daily service was outstanding and provided by very friendly and professional house keepers. The staff manning the front desk were fantastic! There was nothing beyond their capabilities and they were some of the friendliest and most personable representatives I have had the pleasure of meeting. They provided very accurate information on the location of points of interest, gave maps as needed, and made several very helpful suggestions to aid us in our travels to the many different sites. Parking is plentiful and distance to the metro subway station is only four blocks away. Their suggestion to use the metro vice driving my truck, to see the Smithsonian, zoo, etc., was a great suggestion as it saved many headaches and provided an easy means to move around the area. Also a great breakfast in an easily accessible area with plenty of seating. It's just a good place to stay on all counts! This will definitely be my first choice if I return to Arlington! Re-emphasis: The staff is absolutely outstanding!!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Norris C
Brittany B, Guest Services Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Hello there, and thank you for that amazing review! Here at the Virginian Suites Arlington, we pride ourselves on our great staff. Thank you for the nice comments you gave on the front desk and housekeeping staff. The staff is very knowledgeable about the area, including the best attractions, restaurants, and ways to get around. I'm glad that you were able to take advantage of DC's great Metro system, it makes getting around the city so much easier! Our location helps too since it is only a 10 minute walk away from the Rosslyn Metro. Also, thanks for the comments on our breakfast, I am glad that you enjoyed it! We appreciate your kind words, and we are looking forward to your next visit here at the Virginian Suites.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

We only spent one night but would definitely stay there again. The rooms were clean and the staff was friendly and very courteous. The only issue we had was that there was a strong odor of food in the hallway, but I guess that is too be expected when there are kitchens in the suites. The shower was great, there was plenty of hot water and the bed was comfortable. I was very pleased with the breakfast--it was the usual fare of cereal, yogurt, bagels, etc but everything was better quality than you usually get in a continental breakfast and nicely presented. The breakfast room was exceptionally clean and welcoming. There was no "hot" food but there were what appeared to be breakfast sandwiches to heat up although we did not try any. The hotel is conveniently located to restaurants and attractions. The Iwo Jima monument and Arlington National Cemetery are very close and the Lincoln and Washington Memorials are within walking distance. You can even walk to the Smithsonian if you don't mind walking a little further. Of course, taxis and other public transportation is abundant. I would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to D.C.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Pat175

Greetings to you, and thank you for the great review on the Virginian Suites of Arlington! I am so glad to hear that you fully took advantage of the hotel's great location! As you stated, we are extremely close to the Marine Corps Memorial and Arlington National Cemetery, as well as the monuments and memorials of the National Mall across the river in DC. If guests get too tired of walking, the Metro subway system and taxis are the next best way to go. Thank you for the great compliments on our staff and the cleanliness of the suites. My apologies for the strong food odor in the hallway, as you said it is primarily due to our guests taking advantage of having a full kitchen in their suites! Also, I'm glad that you enjoyed the continental breakfast, the quality of the food and beverages that are provided is exceptional. We hope that you will be able to stay with us for more than one night during your next visit to the DC area! Thanks again for the review, please keep in touch!

Reviewed May 22, 2013

This is so conveniently located for touring D.C. and Arlington ... literally moments from Arlington Cemetary and two blocks from the Iwa Jima monument ... and quick trip to D.C.. While the hotel is a bit dated they are improving things. We can only speak for room 115 and the breakfast room ... the bed and pillows were very comfy and all was clean! I have food allergies and cannot eat in restaruants so the mini-kitchen was a godsend. My husband really enjoyed the breakfasts there too ... and they had a large selection and it was very clean. We usually stay at Hilton Gardens when we travel ... but we missed nothing by not staying there. The STAFF at the Virginian make you feel like you are the only visitors there (but they were busy). If I had a problem (forgot a medication, left my phone in a cab ... they jumped right in to find my pharmacy and reach my cab driver (who returned my phone). The laundry room was equipped with nice appliances at a resonable price (recently updated). On our wedding anniversary (the reason for the trip) we came "home" and there was champang on ice! I cannot say enough about how positive our stay was but most importantly the caring staff (I booked by calling them directly ahead of time and to let them know of some special needs I have and they prepared everything for my stay). If you stay here you will be blessed to meet Eda, Anna, Sara, Brittany, Mohamed, Edwin and Conor. Also, it was in a beautiful safe neighborhood ... on site easy parking too. I can hardly wait to go back and I will always stay at the Virginian Suites.

Room Tip: "Loved room 115 and the staff."
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dgtootles

Hello there! We all remember you, you were great guests to talk to! We are so glad that you and your husband enjoyed your time with us. It's nice to hear that you loved utilizing the kitchen for your dietary needs, and that you liked our continental breakfast. As you indicated, we have an amazing staff that will go above and beyond to help our guests. Thank you very much for recognizing so many of them! Also, I'm glad that the staff helped you enjoy your wedding anniversary even more by providing a bottle of champagne. We are very much looking forward to you and your husband staying with us again, we'll be sure to keep suite 115 saved for you! Thanks again, and we hope to see you again soon at the Virginian Suites!

P.S. Thank you for letting Conor and I try the food that you made, it was delicious!

Reviewed May 19, 2013

I spent one night here last week. The Virginian Suites appears to be a converted apartment complex of some sort... the hotel is clearly geared towards long term stays. I stayed for one night, just to try in out in anticipation of a future stay. The rooms are worn out, as are the hallway carpets, etc. The hotel is definitely in need of an update.

The location is so-so. It is actually closer to Rosslyn than Arlington (about a 10 minute walk to the Rosslyn Metro station). It sets close to a busy intersection, and you have to cross the busy street to get to mediocre restaurants. Overall, a decent location, but nothing spectacular.

Internet was provided, with decent connection speeds. The staff were friendly, and service overall was very good.

While prices are reasonable, the somewhat dated decor definitely needs an update.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Brittany B, Guest Services Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

Hello to you, and thank you for your review on the Virginian Suites! I am glad that you decided to try us out on your one night in the area. You are correct that our building used to be apartments, and our guests love all the space that this provides (especially those that want to use our kitchens!). The location is convenient, especially if you want to get into DC easily. Since we are situated in the Rosslyn neighborhood of Arlington, there are some good grocery options and restaurants nearby (my apologies that you didn't find one that appealed to you, however). Also, as you mentioned the Rosslyn Metro stop is only a 10 minutes walk away, and our guests can also use our complimentary shuttle to the station during the work week.

Thanks for your comments regarding our staff and service, we aim to please our guests in any way that we can! Again, I am glad that you chose us for your stay, and we hope to see you again sometime at the Virginian Suites of Arlington!

Reviewed May 10, 2013

The Virginian Suites was a great spot for our fifth grade trip to DC. The Suites enabled small groups of parents and children to share rooms/suites.

The location near Rosslyn Metro and practically across the street from the Iwo Jima Memorial could not be beat. Suites were quiet, spacious, and clean. Breakfast was plentiful, wifi worked. What more could we want?

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Brittany B, Guest Services Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2013

Greetings to you, and thanks for your review on the Virginian Suites! It sounds like our hotel was the perfect spot for your school trip! We get a lot of tour groups that stay with us, the location and accommodations seem to work out very well for them (especially with how large our suites are!). This way, parents are never too far away from their children. Our location is a plus for various reasons. We are close to the Metro station, which provides easy access to DC. Also, we are just steps away from the Iwo Jima Memorial, as well as Arlington Cemetery! If you ever want to come back to DC, please give us a call at 703-522-9600 to check on some dates and rates; we would love to have you back! Thanks again for your comments, and for choosing the Virginian Suites.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I was very happy with my stay at the Virginian Suites. I had to make a last minute reservation for a business trip in DC. The places I usually stay during my trips, were not able to give me a room. I called around other hotels and was not getting a good vibe. When I called Virginian Suites I spoke to Mohammad (spelling!) who was very helpful. However, I was not sure about this hotel. I was worried about location and the kind of room I was getting. While in DC, I do not have access to a car. So the location is very important to me.

I was surprised as I got inside the room. The room was big and had a great view. The night view looking over DC and the river was so good. Comute to DC is very easy from the hotel. They even provide shuttle services to and from metro station. I was so happy with my stay all together, I wrote a thank you letter to the hotel manager as soon as I returned to Michigan. If you want to feel like you are at home when you return to your room, this is the place for you. This hotel would be my number one choice whenever I am in DC!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Hello there, and I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Virginian Suites! It's funny that you referred to us as your "home away from home," because so many of our guests feel the exact same way. I'm happy that you found Mohammad to be very helpful, he is one of our front office supervisors. He, along with the rest of our staff, is always on top of ensuring our guests enjoy their stay! I understand when you say that location is very important to you. Our hotel has an amazing location, with easy access to the Rosslyn Metro via our Monday-Friday shuttle and on foot (only a 10 minute walk!). We are looking forward to reading your letter about your stay, that was so kind of you! I am so happy that you found your new "home" while in DC, we are looking forward to your next visit!