“Virginian Suites - Impressed”

Virginian Suites Arlington
Ranked #13 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
Reviewed February 10, 2013

My wife and I just stayed at the Virginian Suites in Arlington, Va. We received an email from Choice Hotels, talking about the Virginian and their Romance Package, Valentine’s Day is next week, so we booked the room. We were very happy with our stay. The front desk staff was very welcoming, especially Edwin H. They were very excited to hear about our reaction to the room when we walked in. There was a bottle of Champagne, red roses, a full box of candy on the bed, cheese and crackers on the table, free breakfast the next day, a suite, with separate bedroom, kitchen and dining room/living room combo. The rooms were clean, had free Wi-Fi and the Metro is about a 5-10 minute walk to get into D.C. Sure you can stay “IN” D.C, but why not get a 10 minute Metro ride and enjoy a few good meals with the savings! We will be back!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank TravelersWeR02
fom_vsa, Front Office Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2013

Dear Guest! Thank you for writing about your great experience at the Virginian Suites on TripAdvisor.And even more thanks for choosing our hotel for you romantic getaway. I am glad to read that you have enjoyed your room, special amities and free breakfast. We hope to see you back soon.

There are newer reviews for Virginian Suites Arlington

Reviewed February 2, 2013

I booked this reservation several days in advance by phone, Will was very patient as I had several questions about travelling on foot in the area. Due to bad weather, our flight was delayed until very late. The staff were kind enough to hold our reservation until we arrived at midnight. The room was spotless and the view was beautiful. The beds were comfortable and the pillows were inviting. Since we had travelled to be at a funeral at 11AM the next day, the office was kind enough to hold our lugggage until we could get back to retrieve it. The employees, Will and Mohamed were particularly friendly and helpful. The hotel was very convenient to the Roslyn Station. We didn't even use the shuttle service. I plan to return to DC for a "tourist trip" and will definitely book The Virginian!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank AndreaTN

Dear Andrea TN. Thank you very much for taking your time on writing such a great review. I am very happy to read that you have enjoyed your stay with us and I will share your comments with Will and Mohammed.

If we can assist you with anything in the future please don’t hesitate to contact us at frontdesk@virginiansuites.com. Our customer service dedicated team is at your service 24 hours. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

I try to book this property when coming to DC. Yes the hotel is not a 5star Ritz, and its not in front of the White House. For those familiar with DC rates you know that everything is above $300 if lucky. This hotel offers great bang for your buck. It has an affordable rate for a full suite and not a 50sq ft box, and location is good. Roslyn, in Arlington Va, is closer to downtown than many parts of DC. You have no not know DC to say your far from DC. I use metro for sight seen and hotel is 5 minute walk to metro and also offers an hourly shuttle. Hotel has onsite (very affordable) parking.

Hotel has received some mayor renovation, it still needs some work but its in good condition. Staff is very nice and called me by my name all the time. They really try hard to make you feel welcome.

Conclusion: great rates, big rooms, onsite parking, and free breakfast. Need a little work on some rooms but you can always go pay $500 a night at a branded hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank jcmontys

Dear Guest! We greatly appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your stay at the Virginian Suites and sharing your thoughts and experiences onTripAdvisor. Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back in the nearest future.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

I really like it! It's conveniently located, and has everything I need to be comfortable.
The Internet, cable tv, comfy beds and pillows,
Close to most places I need to go. Friendly staff and reasonable price.

• Stayed: July 2012
3  Thank MaryMontoya

Dear MaryMontoya! Thank you for writing us a great review. I am very happy that you have enjoyed our great location and friendly staff. Hope to see you soon!!!

Reviewed January 30, 2013

My job requires me to travel every week of the year except my vacation and some holiday weeks. I have experienced more than my fair share of hotels throughout my career. Ranging from 5 star to 3 Star hotels. However, I did not experience service like this hotel ever in my life. Starting from the front desk to housekeeping to engineering to breakfast ladies everyone was so in tuned that it was truly unbelievable. I stayed in this hotel little over 2 weeks. I never came in the hotel without a greeting. Cookies in the lobby every night was always fresh and warm. I enjoyed little touches like water with cut fruit. Room was clean spotlessly. I even received notes from housekeeping checking my needs. I ran into several managers during my stay and all of them personally asked me about my stay. It is just unbelievable to even imagine how you can synchronize such a big staff to perform a flawless act. Special thanks to Will and Mohamed at the front desk, Rosa and Maria at the maid service, Jose and Ana for checking on me all the time. This hotel might not be the newest hotel in the area but delivery of service, cleanliness, and comfort will put any 5 star hotels in Arlington to shame. Management should take a look at the breakfast and add some more variety. This is the only observation I want to add. My breakfast was free so I should not complain but I think the hotel can serve more variety without adding extra expense. Servings at this time seem very expensive considering they are all individually wrapped. I think the hotel should consider serving bulk items and more variety. The location was outstanding. It was a few minute walk to Rosslyn Metro station and a hotel shuttle also took me there and brought me back. Overall the staff of this hotel made me feels at home. I think it is the best kept secret in the DC area.

Room Tip: Get a room in the higher floor. The view is amazing if you can get a room overseeing the city.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Natasha F

Dear NatashaF. Thank you for your kind review. I’m very glad that you found our staff friendly and accommodating, something we strive for! I hope that for your next trip to Washington DC you will choose Virginian Suites again, we will be very happy to welcome you back.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

The Virginian Suites is truly lacking. I could have looked past the old carpets, worn walls and 80s bathrooms, had the room been spotless. But it had marks down the walls, a dirty bathroom sink and a filthy kitchen. While its nice to have the kitchen with full sized fridge, a small dish washer and a stove, the cupboards were dirty with grime I could scrape away with my fingernail. The toaster hadn't been cleaned in ages, the walls were peeling and the "clean" glasses in the cupboards had lipstick on one, and crusted on crud on the bottom of the other. What cutlery we were given was mis matched and missing; no forks, knives or spoons, a spatula and pancake flipper, a couple of other random items.
The bed was pretty good, comfortable with clean sheets, and the TV in the bedroom was a new 32 inch LG, while the lounge had a much older one.

I don't think I am a very picky guest, and for the price it was tolerable, but its not walking distance from anything worth seeing in DC except the Iwo Jima monument and Arlington cemetery. 10 min walk to the metro system, and around the corner is a great DC initiative: the bikeshare system, where you can rent a bicycle for 7 bucks a day, and if you ride over to the Lincoln Monument within 30 minutes your ride is free. We discovered this on our last day and enjoyed the ride through the mall, but we still spent a lot on taxis while in Washington. If you have a car it would be better.

If I were to book in DC again I would try and stay in Georgetown area, but at just under $100 per night Virginian Suites was tolerable. Had it been super clean I would probably recommend it just for the spacious rooms.

As for customer service we saw very little except from the fellow working nights, Edwin, who was fantastic and very helpful everytime we spoke to him. Had it not been for him this rating would be a 1 instead of a 2.

Also, they do not have a restaurant attached, so no room service or breakfast, which is difficult with nothing close by to walk to. We found ourselves ordering takeout at night if we came home early and having to taxi somewhere for breakfast, which was a hassle.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Donovan M
fom_vsa, Front Office Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Dear DonovanM,
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. Please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience you experienced. We want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken very seriously.Your response will help to shape the future of our product and our overall guest service. If I can be of further assistance please feel free to contact me.

Reviewed December 30, 2012

This property is a real gem. It is truly underrated for the DC area. The rooms are a real value and very spacious. THe staff was SUPERB. I was really impressed with this hotel. I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Vincent M
fom_vsa, Front Office Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Dear Vincent M,

Thank you for your review of the Virginian Suites . I am glad that you enjoyed the hotel guest rooms, beds and the friendly staff. I hope the next time you visit Washington DC you choose to stay with us again.