“OK but won't stay again.”

Virginian Suites Arlington
Ranked #12 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
Reviewed April 18, 2008

If only they'd invest some money into this property, into its upkeep, we would gladly stay there again. The major problem with our room was the ancient mattress. The previous reviewer said that the furnishings seemed newer, so maybe they ARE in the process of renovating, but some of our furniture had seen better days.We agreed that our bed was very uncomfortable & wobbled like a water bed whenever one of us moved around. We didn't sleep at all the first couple of nights. Then I moved to the sofa sleeper & slept better. This was actually the 2nd room we'd been assigned. In the 1st room, I had set down my cooler full of groceries on the dining room table, & it came crashing down. The top of the table was broken & if you set anything down on it, it tilted upwards. So they moved us into a different room. I had mentioned that my eggs had broke from the fall but they could've cared less & made no move to compensate us.

What's right about this place is the kitchen & bathroom, even though the floors look shabby & the spaciousness of the room is a big plus. Unfortunately, our tv went on the fritz & they had to replace that too. Front desk service was rude & terse, the young lady there actually lost her patience with me , spazzing out when I requested help with getting a taxi ("whatEVER you want!" rolls eyes...).

So, you get what you pay for. This place is all about the great location. It's convenient to everything. But this place didn't work for us. Too bad, since my husband & I have to travel to Arlington frequently. Maybe it'd be good for college kids on a bender or perhaps single business people who like hard beds!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business

Reviewed April 12, 2008

We chose to stay at the Virginian Suites based on a co-worker's recommendation and the special advertised on their web site, for Cherry Blossom Festival. The rate was pretty good, at an average of about $100/night over the 6 nights we stayed. We were checking in fairly quickly, even though we did not arrive until nearly 9:00 pm (due to mechanical problems with the plane - and weather from MSP...). Instead of the studio suite I expected,
we were put into a one bedroom suite.
Based on information in other reviews on this site, I asked for breakfast vouchers. We were told that Breakfast is not included with the prepaid reservations - even though we reserved on the property's web site. Unfortunately, the "more information" hot link included in the special rates advertisement included "Full American breakfast buffet, served every morning". Since they do not have a restaurant, nor any mention of an additional cost to this amenity, one would think it is included, right? Nope. We were given vouchers for two days and told we could purchase breakfast for $12/day Mon - Fri and something less ($6?) on the weekend as that was only continental - pastries and bagles. Sorry - no way would I pay that (an additional $110 give or take, for the remaining days) for cold scrambled eggs, sausage, hash browns, (frozen) waffles and pastries. We walked to the Safeway and bought our own food (frozen waffles and pop tarts...) and used the suite's kitchen.
We had to request a third set of towels, even though we had reserved a room for three people. The toiletries are pretty nice - citrusy scented. The walls in our suite need to be recovered. The wall coverings are in pretty bad shape. The carpet could also stand to be replaced - it is stained, and looking a bit worse for the wear. The furnishings are fine -appear to be fairly recent.
The kitchen is relatively well stocked with dishes (place settings for 4), pans, has a toaster, coffee maker and microwave. However, there is only one outlet - so only two of the electronic appliances can be used at a time.
There is a general shortage of outlets in the suite. It was difficult to find an outlet to plug in my laptop and camera battery charger. One of the bedside lights never did seem to work - not by the wall switch or light switch on the lamp - I suspect that the choice was to use the alarm clock or two bedside lights... To use my laptop in the bedroom (my 11 yo slept on the sofa sleeper precluding use of the desk - where you had to unplug the table lamp to plug in a computer...), I had to unplug the floor lamp.
The bathroom appears to have been updated - new sink, maybe toilet, too. However, the tub either needs to be resurfaced or replaced. The shelf over the sink is narrow - things fall off easily.
The walls are thin - we could hear our neighbor's musical choices (not our preference) one evening - fortunately, they turned it down at 10:00.
This property is about 1/2 mile from the Rosslyn station - and easy 10 minute walk. The Safeway is about 2 blocks out of the way - if you want to pick up groceries and are not able to take advantage of the daily grocery run at about 6:00, Peapods also delivers to the hotel, if you wish to do your shopping online.
Should you wish to avoid the more expensive forms of transit - you can get to and from Regan National Airport on the Metro Blue line, and can ride a express bus from Dulles that stops a block or so from the Rosslyn station (ask the Station manager for the exact location) for $3.10/person, and in about 30 - 45 minutes (the Metro plus Washington Flier will cost you about $10/person and takes longer!). You can also walk to the Arlington Cemetery the main entrance of which is about 1 mile away (a side entrance is closer).
Overall, our stay was OK. Very disappointed by the breakfast issues, the property is clean enough but a bit shabby around the edges. The area the hotel is in is quite nice, we never felt uncomfortable walking in the area at night.. There are some homeless in the area of the Metro, but not near the hotel. It is an area of apartments/condos.
We didn't get to take advantage of most of the listed amenities either due to lack of time, timing or availability. (the pool wasn't open yet - no surprise as it was early April). I would recommend the property only if you call them to verify what is included prior to reserving your room.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed April 8, 2008

A suite! At only USD 130 a night! Four of us stayed, and made it well worth the money.

The place was huge! It was afterall, a suite - bedroom with two double beds, two closets, dining area, kitchen (furnished, inc. dishwasher, stove, oven, microwave), TV area.

WIFI provided; ethernet point available as backup as well.

No complaints - everything was clean, everything was provided. The best thing was the excellent price.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
1  Thank Andrew Y
Reviewed March 24, 2008

When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by friendly staff that quickly checked us in, which was great after a long day of walking. the staff were also very helpful in giving us directions around the area. if you ask, they provide a "walking" map with local restaraunts, attractions and the metro. there are a couple of restaraunts within short walking distance and if you walk a little farther there are many more. we ate at the rhodeside grille on wilson blvd. the food was good and it was only about a 10 minute or less walk. there were several other restraunts around there including a dominos pizza and a subway. the metro station is also only about a 10 minute walk or less. the hotel itself was nothing fancy but it wasnt bad. the kitchen was full of everything you may need (we didnt use it) the bathroom and the other rooms were clean. the view from our room on the tenth floor was amazing. from one window we could see the buildings of arlington and from the other window we had an excellent view of the monument and the capital building. the hotel provides complimentary breakfast (which we didnt eat due to lack of time) but it is available on the third floor (they dont tell you where you can get this unless you ask). they also charge a parking fee per day, however i guess they didnt enter that we were parking there when we checked in so we never got charged that fee. overall the hotel was a good place to stay. the surrounding area was safe and away from the craziness of the city, yet still only a short walk to everything you need. I would stay at this hotel again-the price is too good to beat for a good hotel.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank bwatergirl2010
Reviewed March 24, 2008

Hotel is older but clean. Price was awesome for Washington DC. Booked on hotel's website - under $100 with free continental breakfast and parking - can't beat that. One block from Iwo Jima memorial. Staff was very accomodating - recommended a fantasic restaurant (Orient Cafe) within walking distance. Kitchen was well equipped although we had no need to use it. Room was quiet although heater ran all night but it was soothing more so than annoying. Not much of a view but we weren't in the room long. Nice water pressure and hot water plentiful. Bed extremely comfortable. Towels very plush. Free Washington Post outside the door in the am. Great location and easy to get to. Went with my 7 yr old daughter and felt completely safe walking in the neighborhood to dinner. Would definately recommend and will stay there again myself.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank PAWaterskier
Reviewed February 2, 2008

EVERYTHING was great. Loved the walk-in closet with dresser inside. Loved the plush towels, the top-quality toiletries provided in the bathroom, the fully-stocked (dishes, pots and utensils) kitchen that even had a dishwasher and full-size fridge with icemaker. The premises were quiet and peaceful, yet I had a beautiful view of the downtown Arlington skyscrapers skyline. The check-in was quick and EVERYONE that worked at the hotel was courteous and friendly toward me. I took my DVD player and some movies along so I could watch some movies since I was on vacation, but because the hotel already offered in-room movies, due to the way their system was hooked up, I couldn't watch my DVD's. Consequently, and reluctantly, I called the front desk and explained my plight and even though they had in-room movies that guests had to pay for and were probably hoping that guests would patronize, they still sent a technician up to my room right away and he quickly rewired the television hookup so that I could watch my own DVD's on my DVD player. Now how cool is that? I was probably most impressed with that one single act of customer-pleasing. To say the least, this hotel bent over backwards to give me everything I could ask for. I can't forget to mention the ultra-comfortable pillow-top mattress that my body just melted into every night, the daily and thorough housekeeping and the suite had a comfortable couch (that turned out to be a sofa-sleeper) and a very comfortable chair, a coffee table as well as another dining table, and no less than 6 (that's right SIX) lamps in the room/suite along with a free Washington Post newspaper at my door daily. Location was also a plus too. I was 10 minutes from downtown DC and most of the attractions, Reagan National Airport, Alexandria, SW DC, NE DC or SE DC. Only about 20 minutes from Maryland. Breathtaking view of the U.S. Capitol and Washington Monument as you're coming down the hill (14th St.) from the hotel. Hotel is just steps away from the Iwo Jima Memorial, in fact, I used the memorial as my landmark to know where to exit off of Route 50 everytime I returned to the hotel. I've already decided this will be my home the next time I go to DC. Very well-kept and well-managed property that I'd highly recommend in a heartbeat. Thumbs WAY up on this secret jewel.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo
5  Thank travelover45
Reviewed January 21, 2008

Handicapped accomodations are minimal. Stationary shower head, removable shower chair in tub and slippery tile. Staff was curteous and prompt in bringing extra linen and a hand held mirror, as mirror was not positioned low enough to see from a wheelchair users height. Although the bathroom was very roomy and gave clerance for turn around access, the toilet had bars on right and in back.. but no option for bars all around. Also although there is handicapped parking in front of the hotel it is misleading. There is NO wheelchair access in the hotel for check in, rather the handicapped access is only in the back of hotel -- which CAN NOT be accessed without driving around to back of the hotel. Also -- it isn't that well lit. I would not recommend this hotel for solo traveling by a handicapped individual.

Stayed: January 2008