“Hidden Gem in DC” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
Washington DC
“Hidden Gem in DC”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

I try to book this property when coming to DC. Yes the hotel is not a 5star Ritz, and its not in front of the White House. For those familiar with DC rates you know that everything is above $300 if lucky. This hotel offers great bang for your buck. It has an affordable rate for a full suite and not a 50sq ft box, and location is good. Roslyn, in Arlington Va, is closer to downtown than many parts of DC. You have no not know DC to say your far from DC. I use metro for sight seen and hotel is 5 minute walk to metro and also offers an hourly shuttle. Hotel has onsite (very affordable) parking.

Hotel has received some mayor renovation, it still needs some work but its in good condition. Staff is very nice and called me by my name all the time. They really try hard to make you feel welcome.

Conclusion: great rates, big rooms, onsite parking, and free breakfast. Need a little work on some rooms but you can always go pay $500 a night at a branded hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank jcmontys
fom_vsa, Front Office Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear Guest! We greatly appreciate you taking the time to write a review about your stay at the Virginian Suites and sharing your thoughts and experiences onTripAdvisor. Thank you again and we hope to welcome you back in the nearest future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

I really like it! It's conveniently located, and has everything I need to be comfortable.
The Internet, cable tv, comfy beds and pillows,
Close to most places I need to go. Friendly staff and reasonable price.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank MaryMontoya
Dear MaryMontoya! Thank you for writing us a great review. I am very happy that you have enjoyed our great location and friendly staff. Hope to see you soon!!!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

My job requires me to travel every week of the year except my vacation and some holiday weeks. I have experienced more than my fair share of hotels throughout my career. Ranging from 5 star to 3 Star hotels. However, I did not experience service like this hotel ever in my life. Starting from the front desk to housekeeping to engineering to breakfast ladies everyone was so in tuned that it was truly unbelievable. I stayed in this hotel little over 2 weeks. I never came in the hotel without a greeting. Cookies in the lobby every night was always fresh and warm. I enjoyed little touches like water with cut fruit. Room was clean spotlessly. I even received notes from housekeeping checking my needs. I ran into several managers during my stay and all of them personally asked me about my stay. It is just unbelievable to even imagine how you can synchronize such a big staff to perform a flawless act. Special thanks to Will and Mohamed at the front desk, Rosa and Maria at the maid service, Jose and Ana for checking on me all the time. This hotel might not be the newest hotel in the area but delivery of service, cleanliness, and comfort will put any 5 star hotels in Arlington to shame. Management should take a look at the breakfast and add some more variety. This is the only observation I want to add. My breakfast was free so I should not complain but I think the hotel can serve more variety without adding extra expense. Servings at this time seem very expensive considering they are all individually wrapped. I think the hotel should consider serving bulk items and more variety. The location was outstanding. It was a few minute walk to Rosslyn Metro station and a hotel shuttle also took me there and brought me back. Overall the staff of this hotel made me feels at home. I think it is the best kept secret in the DC area.

Room Tip: Get a room in the higher floor. The view is amazing if you can get a room overseeing the city.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Natasha F
Dear NatashaF. Thank you for your kind review. I’m very glad that you found our staff friendly and accommodating, something we strive for! I hope that for your next trip to Washington DC you will choose Virginian Suites again, we will be very happy to welcome you back.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

The Virginian Suites is truly lacking. I could have looked past the old carpets, worn walls and 80s bathrooms, had the room been spotless. But it had marks down the walls, a dirty bathroom sink and a filthy kitchen. While its nice to have the kitchen with full sized fridge, a small dish washer and a stove, the cupboards were dirty with grime I could scrape away with my fingernail. The toaster hadn't been cleaned in ages, the walls were peeling and the "clean" glasses in the cupboards had lipstick on one, and crusted on crud on the bottom of the other. What cutlery we were given was mis matched and missing; no forks, knives or spoons, a spatula and pancake flipper, a couple of other random items.
The bed was pretty good, comfortable with clean sheets, and the TV in the bedroom was a new 32 inch LG, while the lounge had a much older one.

I don't think I am a very picky guest, and for the price it was tolerable, but its not walking distance from anything worth seeing in DC except the Iwo Jima monument and Arlington cemetery. 10 min walk to the metro system, and around the corner is a great DC initiative: the bikeshare system, where you can rent a bicycle for 7 bucks a day, and if you ride over to the Lincoln Monument within 30 minutes your ride is free. We discovered this on our last day and enjoyed the ride through the mall, but we still spent a lot on taxis while in Washington. If you have a car it would be better.

If I were to book in DC again I would try and stay in Georgetown area, but at just under $100 per night Virginian Suites was tolerable. Had it been super clean I would probably recommend it just for the spacious rooms.

As for customer service we saw very little except from the fellow working nights, Edwin, who was fantastic and very helpful everytime we spoke to him. Had it not been for him this rating would be a 1 instead of a 2.

Also, they do not have a restaurant attached, so no room service or breakfast, which is difficult with nothing close by to walk to. We found ourselves ordering takeout at night if we came home early and having to taxi somewhere for breakfast, which was a hassle.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Donovan M
fom_vsa, Front Office Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear DonovanM,
Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. Please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenience you experienced. We want you to know that the comments and suggestions we receive from our guests are taken very seriously.Your response will help to shape the future of our product and our overall guest service. If I can be of further assistance please feel free to contact me.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

This property is a real gem. It is truly underrated for the DC area. The rooms are a real value and very spacious. THe staff was SUPERB. I was really impressed with this hotel. I look forward to my next visit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Vincent M
fom_vsa, Front Office Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Dear Vincent M,

Thank you for your review of the Virginian Suites . I am glad that you enjoyed the hotel guest rooms, beds and the friendly staff. I hope the next time you visit Washington DC you choose to stay with us again.
Loveland, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed here on one week end. We got good deal of free parking and breakfast. (Otherwise also $9 for parking is cheap as compare to DC area). Rooms are good. Fully equipped with kitchen. Breakfast was good. Rosslyn metro station is walkable (10 minutes). so we didn't had to take our car around. Also one monument of "US Marine Corps War Memorial" is 5 minutes walk from hotel.

Only improvement, I would suggest is, shuttle which they provide to Metro is only on week days so if you are going on week end, be ready to walk to metro stations.

will go again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mandar D
fom_vsa, Front Office Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Mandar D,
Thank you for the review of the Virginian Suites.I am glad to read that you enjoyed our location , your room and breakfast, and the most important thing to us is that you will come back. Thank you again for choosing us and we hope to see you soon.
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

Although I've lived in the area on and off for years, I had no idea what a great gem Virginian Suites is. When I came back to the DC area for 2.5 months of training, I did a lot of research in to different options for my per diem stay. I really feel like I scored big time by staying at Virginian Suites. You absolutely CANNOT beat the location. The hotel offers shuttle service to the Rosslyn Metro Station. But, if you miss the shuttle, just walk. It only takes 7-8 minutes. Just steps from Arlington Cemetery and the Iwo Jima Memorial, the hotel feels so close to DC and yet is still surrounded by green. For people taking classes at the Foreign Service Institute, the hotel runs a shuttle for you too. The only thing that beat the location was the staff. I cannot say enough about the staff at this property. I feel like they are my friends as well as the people who run this property with grace and friendliness. From housekeeping, to the front desk staff maintenance staff to the management, everyone seemed to genuinely want to do what was in their power to help. They staff responds quickly to any issues that come up and, when possible, resolve them.

Yes, the property is a bit old but the staff is in the process of replacing common area carpeting and wall paper. The fact that this used to be an apartment building means you're going to get a kitchen with gas range and full sized (apartment) fridge, not some bar fridge. And, the rooms are HUGE.

I got here after the pool closed so I never got to use that. The gym is fairly minimal but if you're just looking for some cardio and a limited selection of free weights, you won't be disappointed.

The pet friendly aspect of this hotel is outstanding. Sometimes I think people are more upset that my dog is leaving than me. The location is perfect for walks and jogs with the dog. The staff, not just the hotel is dog-friendly too. The staff all call my dog by name and talk to him in the halls!

As for value, ask about special perks for per diem travelers. You WILL NOT be disappointed.

As I've told the staff, I plan to be back when I return to DC!

Room Tip: If you are very sensitive to noise, ask about rooms that do not face Arlington Boulevard. I was in...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Hello Dear JSTrip_77

Thank you for a great review! All staff members at the Virginian Suites wish you happy holidays and best of luck . We are looking foward to welcome you back in our hotel.