WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #16 of 50 Hotels in Arlington
Hillsdale, New York
“Want to feel at home?”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

If you want to be treated like a snobby guest, go to the Arlington Palomar (STUNNING and wonderful property; two blocks away), but if you need comfort and a home-like feel, THIS is the place. High rating for relaxation... not the five-star kind, but the "real" kind.

At one time the was an apartment building. For an apartment, the units are a nice size, but for a hotel, it is incredible. I've been here over six times in the last ten years. I've shared this treasure with friends, and they too have loved it. One more perk, as it is in a residential area, it is much more quiet than any inner city hotel. Route 50 is night next to the hotel, but more like the sound of a distant ocean. NO sirens.

Aside from a very nice kitchen (not just a wet bar), I guess I like the beds the best. They are firm, hefty and warm. Wonderful, soft linen. They really did a great job on the beds. I was coming here before they got the new beds. VAST improvement. GOOD job!!!

This stay I was in the room with a separate bedroom; I think I like the studio better. Still a nice kitchen and lots of closet space, but it is just easier when it is all in one room.

The staff is friendly, but not stuffy. They are more earthy and sincere. Certainly not as polished the five-star hotel. But frankly, I'd prefer the gentleness over the crisp coolness common to upscale properties. And the staff do well. I know that it mattered that I was comfortable.

Metro is a 10 minute walk, and they have a shuttle if you are too lazy to enjoy the walk. The views of the city are worth the walk. The path goes right by the Iwo Jima Memorial.

Value. While I am sure I've come at the best times for low rates, I think they are seriously competitive. Just something to keep in mind.

Cons? Well, the HVAC is fine, but in the winter, I found it to be a bit warm. You can choose low, medium or high... no temp control. I CAN live with this... I just turn it off entirely and open the window a little if I get too warm. And secondly, I almost hate to say it because it is clear they are trying their best, I'm thinking it might be time for some new carpet. It is clean and attractive, but it is showing some ware.

Room Tip: Not sure the rooms by 4th floor entrance is so good. Studio is just as comfortable as the separate...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank NSteele
fom_vsa, Front Office Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Dear NSteele,

Thank you for your review of the Virginian Suites . I am happy to read that you enjoyed the hotel amenities, guest rooms, beds and the friendly staff. I hope the next time you visit Washington DC you choose to stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Turkish first
Israel
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

The suites are large and spacious, with kitchens (a plus if you want to save on expenses) but that's where the good things end. Had mice in my room, carpets are 50 years old, and the feeling is you are staying in some old 19th century building. It needs a renovation badly!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
fom_vsa, Front Office Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Ronger5

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. Your response will help to shape the future of our product and our overall guest service. The Virginian Suites team appreciate the unique opportunity to view ourselves through the eyes of our guests and are eager to gather ideas on how we can improve. We hope to hear from all of our guests such as yourself and will carefully review everyone’s feedback.We are currently working on some renovation projects and hope that you will give us anothe chance in the future.Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with us.
Batavia, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

Overall, the room was huge, had a kitchen, and a separate bedroom; however, this place has seen better days. Alright for a one night stay, but I wouldn't want to put up with the dated stuff for more than that. Hopefully they will do some renovations and get rid of the bubbled up ceilings, wallpaper, and rusty bathroom appliances.

As far as service goes, I was a little early for my check in and was told they were cleaning my room as I was trying to check in and that it would be approximately 15-20 minutes. However, after I used the restroom and came back after a conference call, the representative I was working with had left and was replaced with a new customer service person. She informed me that my room was still not ready and would be approximately 2 -3 hours before it was ready. I ended up changing in the bathroom and leaving for my local meetings for the day, but I was very disappointed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear NIUshibbyman61

Thank you for your review of the Virginian Suites. Please accept my apologies for the for the incovenience that you have experienced during your check in.We currently working on changing our carpet and improving our public areas. We hope you will give us another chance in the future. Please contact me at 703-522-9600 and I will personally make your reservation. Thank you for staying at Virginian Suites.
Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

For a week in the area I like the Residence Inn in Courtyard but to get a 1 BR rather than a studio there, it was over $300 and a studio for a month is a bit annoying (we are two + dog). At the Virginian Suites for under the per diem we had a big 1 BR apartment. The advantage of the Virginian Suites is that it used to be an apartment complex, not a hotel. This means lots of closets everywhere and a real kitchen with stove and a regular size fridge - furnished like a holiday place, with everything you need. You still get hotel services of cleaning and doing the bed.
Breakfast is free, pizza is free for dinner every Wednesday for all. Then we had a special rate which also included a regular buffet dinner 3 more evenings of the week! Talk about excellent value.
The staff was very friendly at every level, reception, restaurant, pool, maids. Some weeks we were swamped by 100 kids but they kept their cool and we were lucky to not be near the noisy kids.
There are shuttles to the metro and FSI. Frankly, the Rosslyn metro is less than 8mn walk so it is very practical and a good location.
The pool has a good size (but not huge), the only problem is that it doesn't open until Memorial Day even if it is 100F outside, the gym had some equipment broken (in June) - never got fixed in 1 month, the carpet is very tired especially in the elevator (hence 4 rounds, not 5).

Room Tip: Best rooms to me are 809-810-829-830 (we were on the 8th floor) because they are the furthest from t...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelingCat22
fom_vsa, Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear TravelingCat22, Thank you for the review of the Virginian Suites. I am happy to read that you enjoyed the room, location,Shuttle service, and friendly staff. The renovation of our fitness room is now complete and it looks great with all new equipment. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope to see you again.
Peterborough, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

I traveled to D.C. for business and brought my husband and toddler along so needed a hotel room that would be big enough for the 3 of us to spend a couple of days without bumping into one another and be under the government per diem rate. After reading the reviews for the Virginian Suites I had low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. We stayed in room 321, which had been recently renovated with all new furniture and appliances. They haven't worked out the kinks in the room (i.e. there's no outlet to plug in the desk lamp the way the desk is positioned and the microwave doesn't quite fit on the shelf properly) but whatever. We had an issue with the heating in the room and had to sleep with the a/c, but that was more because we had some unseasonably warm weather in November. The biggest down side for me was that housekeeping started vacuuming the hallways around 9pm. I asked housekeeping why they were doing it and they said because the owners were coming. I called the front desk and asked them about it and they said it was normal for them to vacuum at night. So, overall for the price, the Virginian Suites can't be beat. If they switch to day time vacuuming the prices might go up.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear JenniferK,
Thank You for your review of Virginian Suites Hotel. I apologize for the housekeeping disturbance that you have experienced and want to assure you that it was properly addressed and won’t happen again in the future. We are working daily on improving our guest’s satisfaction and appearance of the hotel, and we really appreciate all the comments, since it make us notice little things that we sometimes miss and to become a better place. Thank you again for taking a time to review our property and we hope that you will choose as again in the nearest future.
Addison, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

My boyfriend and I (we are 27 and 33) were pleasantly surprised when we checked into The Virginian Suites for our weekend visit to explore DC. We got a great deal and were just expecting a place decent enough to sleep in and clean up between excursions. The hotel definitely surpassed our expections. A nice 7-10 minute walk to the metro eliminates the need for a car and the hotel itself was very clean with great service and knowledgable reccomedations from the front desk. We had a great view from the 8the floor, a full kitchen with plates, wine glasses, etc and and oven that worked great to heat up our leftovers. Plenty of space, comfortable bed, nice TV, big windows, and again a great view and location. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Meagan222
Thank you for the great review of the Virginian Suites Hotel. I am very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay. I will share your comments with the whole team. We look forward to seeing you again and thank you for choosing Virginian Suites
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

The staff is incredibly friendly, accommodating and helpful.
No D.C. cab really wants to take you there do they should use the parked shuttle vans to transport guests.
The hotel itself smelled stale, our room was less than clean, and while eateries could be within walking distance because of hotel's awkward location nothing is walkable.
Lots of random questionable folks just hanging out in front.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank MamiNgwa
Dear MamiNgwa
Thank you for the review of the Virginian Suites Hotel. I am very happy to see that you enjoyed the friendly and helpful staff. I will share your comments with the whole team.
We also appreciate all comments about the hotel condition and will defiantly work on the necessary improvements.
We look forward to seeing you again and thank you for choosing Virginian Suites