“OK for the price”

Ranked #14 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
Peterborough, New Hampshire
“OK for the price”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I traveled to D.C. for business and brought my husband and toddler along so needed a hotel room that would be big enough for the 3 of us to spend a couple of days without bumping into one another and be under the government per diem rate. After reading the reviews for the Virginian Suites I had low expectations and was pleasantly surprised. We stayed in room 321, which had been recently renovated with all new furniture and appliances. They haven't worked out the kinks in the room (i.e. there's no outlet to plug in the desk lamp the way the desk is positioned and the microwave doesn't quite fit on the shelf properly) but whatever. We had an issue with the heating in the room and had to sleep with the a/c, but that was more because we had some unseasonably warm weather in November. The biggest down side for me was that housekeeping started vacuuming the hallways around 9pm. I asked housekeeping why they were doing it and they said because the owners were coming. I called the front desk and asked them about it and they said it was normal for them to vacuum at night. So, overall for the price, the Virginian Suites can't be beat. If they switch to day time vacuuming the prices might go up.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
fom_vsa, Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear JenniferK,
Thank You for your review of Virginian Suites Hotel. I apologize for the housekeeping disturbance that you have experienced and want to assure you that it was properly addressed and won’t happen again in the future. We are working daily on improving our guest’s satisfaction and appearance of the hotel, and we really appreciate all the comments, since it make us notice little things that we sometimes miss and to become a better place. Thank you again for taking a time to review our property and we hope that you will choose as again in the nearest future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Turkish first
Addison, Texas
Reviewed November 13, 2012

My boyfriend and I (we are 27 and 33) were pleasantly surprised when we checked into The Virginian Suites for our weekend visit to explore DC. We got a great deal and were just expecting a place decent enough to sleep in and clean up between excursions. The hotel definitely surpassed our expections. A nice 7-10 minute walk to the metro eliminates the need for a car and the hotel itself was very clean with great service and knowledgable reccomedations from the front desk. We had a great view from the 8the floor, a full kitchen with plates, wine glasses, etc and and oven that worked great to heat up our leftovers. Plenty of space, comfortable bed, nice TV, big windows, and again a great view and location. We will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Meagan222
Thank you for the great review of the Virginian Suites Hotel. I am very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay. I will share your comments with the whole team. We look forward to seeing you again and thank you for choosing Virginian Suites
Reviewed November 11, 2012

The staff is incredibly friendly, accommodating and helpful.
No D.C. cab really wants to take you there do they should use the parked shuttle vans to transport guests.
The hotel itself smelled stale, our room was less than clean, and while eateries could be within walking distance because of hotel's awkward location nothing is walkable.
Lots of random questionable folks just hanging out in front.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank MamiNgwa
Dear MamiNgwa
Thank you for the review of the Virginian Suites Hotel. I am very happy to see that you enjoyed the friendly and helpful staff. I will share your comments with the whole team.
We also appreciate all comments about the hotel condition and will defiantly work on the necessary improvements.
We look forward to seeing you again and thank you for choosing Virginian Suites
virginia beach,va
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed here for the MCM weekend which was perfect since the start/finish was practically right outside the door (well about a block away.) Anyway, our room was clean and serviced every day. Breakfast was provided every morning for free. I checked in early and the staff did all they could to get me into my room ASAP. Staff was friendly. WiFi signal was good in room. Shuttle to metro was nice though it is only about a five min walk. I like that they gave us a list of grocery stores near buy since every room is equiped with a kitchen. If you are planning to stay here in warmer weather, they do have an outdoor pool. We were going to through Monday but with hurricane Sandy bearing down we decided to leave early. Even though there was a three night minimum stay, the hotel offered us a refund for the third night because of the hurricane. Excellent PR guys! I will definately book here again for next year. Just hope the secret does not get out as the price is way below the other hotels we looked at. I do agree that the hotel would do with a bit of updating but I was in no way put off by our stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear o301mom,
Thank you for your review of the Virginian Suites Hotel I am happy to read that you enjoyed the location, room, and continental breakfast. We hope the next time that you travel to Washington DC you choose to stay with us again
Fayetteville, Arkansas
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I'm going to try posting videos of my room. I can overlook all the negative except for the fact that now I'm cranky from lack of sleep. I've never heard more banging in all my life. I've read the reviews and agree with most of the good and the bad. If you choose to stay here, DO NOT LET THEM PUT YOU IN ROOM 325. It is across the hall from an employee only area and people are going in and out of that door every five minutes and the door bangs. You also have to walk by this room to access the pool and fitness center so you get a ton of people walking by your room and their voices carry and it sounds like yelling (even though they're probably just using a normal voice). People make it seem like it is a good price. It's average at best ($250/night). I could go on but I'd just sound bitter, which I am.

Room Tip: Stay away from 3rd floor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank asorenson
Warrenton, Virginia
Reviewed October 28, 2012

Hotel room was dirty - glasses in cabinet not clean, ice taken from freezer and not refilled, bathroom not clean - pubic hair on floor, kitchen had crumbs on counter, hair on bed comforter. Bathroom and kitchen was painted very sloppy and paint mess was all over the place. It looked like painter never cleaned up and housekeeping never cleaned either. Carpet was dirty all over too. Wifi did not work in bedroom. Bathroom tile was filtly... Looks like never cleaned.

Stay away from this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We've just returned from 5 nights in DC and stayed in this hotel.

It's in a good location for walking into DC by the Lincoln memorial or into Georgetown. Next door (almost) is the USMC Iwo Jima memorial or the Arlington National Cemetry. Good regular shuttle to the nearby Rosslyn Metro station which is only a ten minute stroll away.

Hotel staff were excellent. The room was huge. Good kitchen attached, good bathroom, air con etc all worked. The laundry off the reception area did the job. My only criticism of the hotel was that it was tired. Not dirty, our room was serviced every day and was spotless, as was the rest of the hotel, just tired.

It all needed a couple of weeks off and a good coat of paint. Other than that, it was all good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank simon o
fom_vsa, Manager at Virginian Suites Arlington, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear Simon o,
Thank you for reviewing the Virginian Suites Hotel. Our location is certainly convenient for our guests. We appreciate your kind review and look forward to having you return to the Virginian Suiteson your next trip to DC!