I've stayed over the past four days and have mixed reviews of the establishment. Let me address some of the previous concerns as a meteorologist who worked closely in aviation. Rosslyn, along with the rest of Arlington County is in DCA's flight path, well because DCA is in Arlington County. Not to sound smug, but there isn't a hotel within Arlington County that is not somehow impacted by DCA operations. Before booking any hotel within five miles of an airport, call it to ask if it is soundproofed or has sound dimmers. It was obvious this hotel did not but the jets were not that constant. Route 50 didn't bother me and I was on that side.
As far as my stay, I didn't have any major problems. Room was very spacious and I didn't have any issue with the bed. Decent size on-site laundry which was reasonably priced. Free wired and wi-fi service was very reliable. DIRECTV and nice LG TV (more on that later). Shuttle bus driver, a jovial African-American kid was very respectful and kind to his patrons. The staff tries really hard to make a very old building somewhat new and are better than most chains, although one of the front desk ladies did rub me the wrong way during the morning/noon hours. One in every crowd.
All of the vending machines were out of order for most of my stay and did report it. That night, they had cold soda and bottled water for purchase at the front desk. The Metro station is about a ten-minute walk and can be very dark at night, so be careful crossing Route 50. It's no different if you were walking from the Metro to Iwo Jima. A bit isolated from the shops and restaurants but a limited shuttle does make an occassional trip there too. Disappointed that the shuttle terminates at 7:30 PM and no service on weekends. While the TV was HD, signal is in analog.
The biggest issue I had was that the furnishings in the room really show their age. It's a very clean hotel and the housekeeping staff works with pride but you can tell that bedding, towels, sofa, kitchen appliances have seen better days and are rather worn out. A/C must have been 40 years old but it did work.
Bottom line, do some shopping. It is a functional place and easily beats the chain motels (Super 8/Red Roof/Days/Comfort) but if there is a Courtyard, HGI, Best Western for the same rate or for $10-15/night more, I would probably stay there. During this time of year, it's was the value and the review that made me try it. Good for a business trip/budget-conscious person but I'd have a hard time bringing my girlfriend to this place or recommending to a friend.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Meet Virginian Suites Arlington. Loaded with personality, this exceptional hotel features one-bedroom and studio suites in a highly desirable location, just minutes from downtown DC and closer to Arlington National Cemetery than any other hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Hotwire, Expedia, Orbitz, Choice Hotels, Travelocity, Odigeo, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Virginian Suites Arlington reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Virginian Suites Arlington Hotel Arlington
- Virginian Hotel Arlington
- The Virginian Hotel