“Just what I needed” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto
“Just what I needed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Stayed here 1.5 days when my flight was cancelled at DCA. They had a good rate available, free Internet and breakfast and a shuttle to pick me up at the airport. After arriving Firday evening I checked out at 4:15 am to go to the airport. Once at the airport I found out that my flight had been cancelled yet again and had about 13 hours to kill. I called the hotel back and asked if I could come back to my room (it was still only 5:30 am) and was told that they would offer me a day rate. While I agreed(I was quite stressed about trying to get home), I later thought it was a bit cheeky that they charged me for a half day in order for me to stay until 3pm considering checkout is noon. $69 for 3 hours seems excessive. Since I am an elite member I would have thought that they could have allowed me to come back to my still available room and maybe extend my checkout by one or two hours. I did request to stay until 4pm, to which they happily agreed. It is for this reason that I only scored this as average. However I will say that all the staff were very friendly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
Glenn W, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Arlington Pentagon City, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Residence Inn at Pentagon City. I'm glad that you found our hotel and staff friendly and welcoming. I was sorry to hear about your experience with checking back in. If you would like to discuss your experience in further I would welcome that. 703-413-6595

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
Hackettstown, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

I booked this hotel based on reviews and the access to DC via Metro. We stayed here from 7/17-7/20. I cannot say enough positive things about this hotel. We had a great room, on the fifth floor of the hotel. It was roomy enough for my family of four. The room/bathroom were clean, the beds were clean and comfy too. The hallway noise, was minimal. The breakfast was crowded, but there was always a large amount of food choices. The staff was very friendly, we were greeted every time we entered or left the hotel. They were very helpful with any questions we had about getting around DC. The proximity to the Metro was ideal, it was a great way to get around the city. We would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• 5 of 5 stars
Glenn W, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Arlington Pentagon City, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for recommending us on TripAdvisor. I'm happy that ourhotel met your needs so well. I hope that you will remember us if your travels ever bring you to Arlington again.
houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I was in Baltimore for the 4th of July holiday and my cousins decided that in order for us to have a nice D.C. experience that we should stay the night and I completely agreed. She chose the hotel and it was perfect for what we needed! Pullout sofa for our kids, great rate and very close to all that we wanted to do in D.C. The rooms have a full kitchen which I didnt use, nicely updated finishes and very clean. Some of the cons are the $100 deposit I had to pay that I was unaware of because I was payimg for my room in cash But no biggie as they returned it upon checkout(after loss prevention had to check the room). Parking is also expensive at $28 a day, but since no parking is really available on the street, it was a no brainer. At least you could come and go as you pleased although the smell of garbage was very pungent in the garage area elevator and hallway. But overall, for $100 a night, it supplied everything we needed. The rooms were actually better than most resorts I've stayed at.

1 Thank razin3kids
gpwee738, Front Office Manager at Residence Inn Arlington Pentagon City, responded to this review, September 25, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with your fellow TripAdvisor readers. The 4th of July is a magical time in our Nation's Capital, and I am glad you were ble to experience it with us.
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Originally I had booked at another Marriott, but whilst in New York I started doing some research about transport, meals, getting around etc.
After booking bus tickets with DC2NY.com which provided a deluxe coach service with wifi, water and movies in 4.5 hours I changed my accom booking to the Residence Inn.
It was about a $20 taxi fare from Du Pont Circle but that was it!
We checked in and got a room with a view overlooking the Pentagon - unreal!
There were 2 Metro stations nearby, 1 at the Pentagon and one at Pentagon City.
You can use the Blue and Yellow lines to get to all the major attractions, memorials and museums around DC.
It cost $14 for an all day pass (adult or child) and you could use the metro unlimited for that day.

Back at the Residence Inn, breakfast was provided daily downstairs, on the Sunday it was a mess with a large Scout group staying in house. Following days was more civilised.
Mon-Wed they provide dinner and 3 alcoholic beverages, Thursday there was something offered but we were not there for that.
There is a huge shopping mall opposite the metro station, CVS pharmacy, Costco and everything else you would need.
Being self contained, we opted to cook a home cooked meal the first night before the onslaught of the tourist thing the following day. Good move, especially with the heat, once we got back the kids spent the evening in the indoor pool.
Overall, totally glad I changed the hotels, this property met all our needs, they also arranged for a taxi driver they recommend {a former employee} for the early morning taxi ride to Dulles - cost $65. If you are flying in/out of Reagan they provide shuttle service.

My only complaint, as with all hotels I have stayed at on this trip in the US is they have an affinity for feather pillows, and I despise them, I like foam pillows!

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the Pentagon. Can also see the 9/11 memorial on the North side of the Pentago...
1 Thank Craig_Baker
Rosenberg, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

The RI Pentagon is a great DC option. Directly across 395 from the Pentagon, One block from Pentagon City Mall and Metro stop. One Metro stop away from both Reagan National and Arlington Cemetery. Tremendous property! Went with the 2 bedroom suite and had plenty of room. Large bedrooms and bathrooms. Comfortable beds. Free buffet breakfast (although very crowded!) and nightly reception. Free shuttle to local locations. We were on the 10th floor with a view of the National Mall And of the Reagan National approach. Site advertised a $25/day parking fee...but we were not charged for our van. When you consider being close to the Metro, the $200 night was a virtual steal for summertime DC rates. A definite must see!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor for a better view. Elevators can be a little slow...so be patient.
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Have little negative to say about this hotel. Friendly staff, great and comfortable room, nice pool and hot tub, etc etc.
The breakfast was fine as was the evening snack with drinks.
The only negative thing I found about this hotel was the coffee. It was horrible. Not sure what brand they are using but it isn't working.

1 Thank thumper114
Norton Shores, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

The rooms are pretty much what appears online. Don't plan to use the sofa bed for extra sleep space unless you have kids that can just as easily sleep on the floor. Very uncomfortable. There was only one person finishing check in when I arrived at about 10:30 am. They allowed early check in. Big plus! But by the time I was done there was a big line up behind me. This flustered the desk clerk and she really could have used some help. I asked for an upgrade and was told they didn't have anything available as they were very booked. I was okay with that and understand. But then they gave us a room on the second floor I had requested an upper floor with Capital View so we could watch the fireworks from our room My husband is disabled and uses a mobility scooter because he can't stand and walk for long distances. I was not happy about the room assignment but there wasn't anything I could do about it. The desk clerk told me we would have a great view from that room. However, the hotel itself was blocking the view. Once in the room I checked the sofa bed and found goldfish crackers all over it and smeared food on the top edge of the couch. Opening the refrigerator I found specks of food all over it as if it hadn't been cleaned properly in a while and a half pitcher of what I think was water along with a half empty bottle of gator-aid. Oddly, the King bed had some foreign item between the top coverlet and the bedding that looked like a piece of whisk-broom. I checked for a room with two beds online and it showed there were some available. So I went to the desk and again requested a room with two beds. Was told they didn't have any. Breakfast was included with the room. It was okay. They had make your own waffles, if you wanted to stand in a very long line for them. It was crowded and hardly a place to sit. Eggs were from power mix, sausage was microwaved, "fried" potatoes were tasteless. But I guess, what can you expect. They had yogurt, oatmeal, some cereals and fruit. It was adequate. Our first morning was July 4. The breakfast card they gave us at arrival said breakfast started at 6:30 am. Monday through Friday. The desk clerk also mentioned this when she gave me the card. However, at 6:30 am, it was not yet open and did not open until 7:00 due to the holiday. There were no posted signs and we were not informed of this. There were several families in the lobby area also expecting breakfast to start at 6:30.

It took me over an hour to go down the elevator and back up on July 5 and 6. Seems only one of the three elevators was in operation. I asked about taking the stairs and was informed that you can't access the hotel from the stairs, they are for exiting only. Tried it once and yep, you can go down and out of the hotel but it does not lead to the lobby and the doors to the floors are locked with no card access. I have no patience for this and was extremely frustrated. On July 5, we ended up taking the up elevator to go down because by the time the one elevator reached our floor on the way down it was already overcrowded. This is something that management really needs to look into correcting. Even installing card access to some of the lower floors would be helpful.

A minor thing, but still irritating was that none of the doors shut properly. Maintenance told us this was because when they re-did the rooms they put all the doors in the hallway and didn't match the correct doors back up to the correct frames.

Most of the staff were friendly and helpful but did not go out of the way to be helpful. When I asked for a room with 2 beds on 7/4 I was told there was one and that they would have housekeeping move us to that room while we were out for the day. So we packed up everything and put it by the door to our room. However, when we returned we were told that they were sorry but they didn't have any other rooms. The next morning the same desk person told me that they gave away the room because he thought we were coming back earlier and they didn't want to hold the room. Maybe a miscommunication but.....I really don't know what to think about it. I am pretty sure I didn't misunderstand.

I asked for a fan because my granddaughter and I both use it for "white noise" to sleep. One was delivered in a very short time. Not very many hotels will do that. When I told them of the mess of crackers in the couch and the items in the frig they said they would send up housekeeping but I cleaned it myself as I didn't want to be bothered.

The sheets looked clean, the towels were fluffy, the water pressure was great. I do wish they had an adjustable nozzle for the shower head but the rain shower type they had was good. Bed was very comfortable but the pull out sofa, terrible. It was quiet and we slept well. Don't expect the shuttle to be able to take you anywhere you want when ever you want. I asked once for a ride to the nearby grocery and was told I had to wait for two other groups ahead of me. So I walked the 5 blocks or so in 95 degree heat and back again toting 3 six packs of pop. I had to have my diet coke fix! They carry Pepsi products at the hotel and I did buy one bottle of Mountain Dew earlier but it took me 20 minutes of waiting in line at the desk to buy it. Had I not already opened it, I would have put it back. Not worth the 20 minute wait. Did I mention I have no patience?

The pool on the 2nd floor is small but was fine for us. It was clean as were all areas at the property (except for items mentioned in our room)

I talked to the Manager about all of this and was pretty dissatisfied with his lack of response. Understand they were very busy that week but they really need to address the lack of help at the front desk, the breakfast lines, promising a room and then not delivering and my top complaint, the elevators. Really, three elevators and only one in working order during a very busy time is a big inconvenience and frustrating for their guests.

I debated greatly in my rating and I'm still not sure. The hotel itself is clean and nice but for the items I mentioned about our room. The elevator situation and promising a room that wasn't delivered were my chief complaints. We checked out early due to the elevator situation. My husband on a mobility scooter makes it impossible for us to exit the hotel without using the elevator and it was just too frustrating to waste my time standing around waiting for it.

If you stay here, bring a very big dose of patience.

Room Tip: You may not have a choice, we didn't. If you have more than two people, book a room with two be...
    • 2 of 5 stars