“Hidden jewel”

Ranked #30 of 51 Hotels in Arlington
New York City, New York
“Hidden jewel”
Reviewed October 25, 2012 via mobile

Great hotel at a great price
Room was modern and clean
Pool was nice size and clean
Close to restaurants and downtown streets within walking distance
Close proximity to Georgetown and GWU- if you have the car
Will stay again

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 13, 2012

My husband and I made this reservation a month in advance, We even called ahead from the road and when we arrived at night the room was not clean. But, the staff was very courteous and cleaned while we went out,We finally got into the room about 11 PM. The room was large but seriously lacking, no glasses. Bed very hard, pillows remind me of a very small bag of marshmallows, sheets very scratchy, hence the reference to hay and the comforter extremely thin like a spread from the 1960s. Antiiquated, noisy ventilation system. I never do these reviews, I am not a complainer, but this was quite a surprise for a chain such as Marriott. Sorry Courtyard, we won't be back, back to Homewood.

Maryann - Philadelphia

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
West Orange, New Jersey
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed here for two nights in October 2012. The staff at the front desk were friendly and helpful, and the room was as comfortable as could be. Everything was clean and well-maintained, and it was clear that the hotel pays close attention to the little details (e.g. easily-reachable power outlets, adjustable viewing angles for the TV). The complimentary wireless internet worked just fine, and our room even had a balcony. The king bed was more comfortable than our bed at home. There were decent breakfast options in the lobby, and there is a Starbucks across the street. The hotel is a five-minute walk from the Rosslyn Metro stop (keep in mind that it’s all downhill), and it’s about a ten-minute walk to the Courthouse area. There is a complimentary shuttle that will take guests to/from those Metro stops as well as other nearby places, but it’s on a first-come, first-serve basis. The parking garage is safe and underneath the hotel, so the elevator enables guests to go from their car to their room without having to go outside (and at ten dollars per night, it’s a great deal for the area). I would definitely stay here again when visiting Arlington and DC.

Cons: Very few… the toiletries provided by the hotel seemed cheap (and they didn’t provide lotion), and the indoor pool hours make no sense (it opens at 10AM, but I like to take a dip to wake up in the morning… and it closes at 9PM).

Room Tip: There is ongoing construction on the other side of Clarendon Blvd. Shouldn't be an issue at nigh...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank bassplayer55
Brasilia, DF
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I travel frequently on business. This is a great hotel the rooms are clean and modern. Most of all what I appreciate is the staff. Very friendly and helpful. The breakfast is outstanding as well. I recommend it next time you need to stay in the DC area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Old hotel, rooms but clean & quite. TV is displayed in a weird area next to the closet which causes bit of inconvenience till you get used to it otherwise, Good hotel & very good & safe area, close by everything.

Room Tip: High floors are always quite....
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Chicago
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Very nice hotel. Room was clean, (queen beds) staff was pleasant, location was reasonable, price was good for the area. But very short on details. The hotel does have WiFi, but my IPhone worked much faster when I turned the WiFi off. The TV was new and terrific, but every night when the Olympics began the stations broadcasting the Olympics scrambled and became unwatchable. The man sent to fix the problem could only agree that, yes they were scrambled, and promised to return, which he never did. The restaurant offered only a few hamburgers after breakfast and they would have to find the person who makes them. All of this made it seem like alot of expenses were spared, and made the hotel less desirable to be in when between events.

The location was good, a couple of blocks to the Metro which is a great way to get around the Washington DC area. Just know that the walk back is almost all uphill, which can be a challange after a long day.

Nothing real bad, but came up short in too many areas.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Cranbury, New Jersey
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I was very pleasantly surprised with the service in this hotel. I have not stayed in a Courtyard in 20 years. We chose this hotel for a long weeked to see the DC sights with our three young kids.

Every single employee with whom we came into contact was cheerful, friendly, helpful, professional, and efficient. The hotel provides a shuttle to the Metro stop. We didn't have any cash on us, but had a 4 year old who almost wet his pants on the return to Rosslyn from DC. We called the hotel upon ascending the escalator in the station and the van pulled up outside just as we walked out onto the street! We didn't have any cash with which to tip the front desk employee who drove us (just in the nick of time!), but she smiled at us and was very gracious despite that. I tipped her the next day and she was just as pleasant and wonderful as can be. This spoke volumes.

We used our Marriott points to book 3 nights. I was nervous when we booked because it seemed as though 2 Queen rooms were standard and there was not an option for a rollaway or sofa bed. When we arrived at the hotel, we were cheerfully assigned to a 1 bedroom suite with 2 Queen beds in the bedroom and a sofa bed in the living area. Whew! I was so relieved that no one would have to sleep on the floor or crowd 3 to a bed.

I don't think I have ever been in a hotel room this clean. The rug didn't gross me out (ahem, Ritz Carlton ... ) and not once did I shriek at my family to wear their slippers or socks or admonish them for going barefoot. There was not a speck of dust anywhere. I even looked at the tops of picture frames, top of the shower curtain rod, in corners and windows, and could not see any dirt. The wallpaper was clean and not a single seam showed. There was not a single spot of mildew in the bathroom. None. Nor did I see any cracked or shrunken caulk. The housekeeper did a great job. She was so sweet. I asked her to leave us extra towels and extra tissues. There was a little bit of a language barrier, but we had TONS of extra towels and extra boxes of tissues for the rest of our stay. I wanted to bring her home with us. She worked alone and she worked hard. She was so nice and provided service above and beyond my expectations. I have not seen such diligent housekeeping in a hotel in years. I was very impressed.

The beds were very soft, but not because the mattresses were of poor quality. More like they are very, very plush. This was a little disconcerting at first because our mattress at home is very firm and akin to sleeping on a concrete slab. Both my husband and I were agreed that we slept well.

We ate breakfast downstairs one morning. There is a Safeway on Wilson Blvd where we purchased yogurt, fruit, Krispy Kremes and milk to have on hand for our little ones and lessen the sting on the wallet.

The good:
Excellent staff
So, so clean!
Short walk to several restaurants
Easy walk to Safeway and CVS
Short ride or manageable walk to the Metro
Safe, residential area with some high-end condos around

The bad:
On-site parking is $10, but the sign says $8 (which is a total joke to anyone who has parked in NYC!)

Listen, I tried to be fair, but that is the worst complaint I can muster. If you are OK with staying outside of DC, or if your travels bring you to Arlington specifically, do not hesitate to book your stay here. The room is scrupulously clean and the service is top-notch.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank ShopaholicBex