“Disappointing experience”

Residence Inn Arlington Rosslyn
Ranked #7 of 52 Hotels in Arlington
Reviewed March 29, 2014

One thing you notice when you start writing reviews is what a bad deal we sometimes get as consumers — while appreciating the occasional pleasant experience. Unfortunately my experience at the Residence Inn in Rosslyn falls in the first category—an overpriced, under-achieving place taking full advantage of its location in government-contract rich Arlington and offering a sub-par experience to its captive audience of government contractors and meeting participants.

I only had to stay one night, for a total duration of less than 10 hours—late in, early out. I would have certainly moved to a different hotel had my stay been any longer. First, the rate is comparable, if not higher than most full-service hotels in the area. No-one expects service or luxury from this brand; however one would hope for a comfortable, clean room with functioning amenities. Let’s start with the room—or “suite”, which feels totally cramped and tight, with a very narrow sitting area. I did not necessarily mind being assigned a specially configured room for wheelchair users—though when given the choice on the web site I specifically opted for the regular configuration. But I did mind having an ironing board hung on the door of the bathroom, shaking and clanking every time you open the door, and having only low hanging rod that does not accommodate a raincoat (other places I’ve been at have both high and low to accommodate all types of users). When I requested a different assignment I was told sorry we’re sold out—fine for them to not honor the specific room I have booked-- almost suggesting I was lucky to have a room at all.

As noted by another reviewer, you don’t get the sense that the room is particularly well cleaned—especially the kitchen area; while nothing was sticky, you can tell when counters are spotless and fresh. The unpleasantness continued with poorly functioning plumbing—and a poorly draining toilet—for nearly $300 a night you have a right to expect better. I did not bother reporting this—when you’re there less than 10 hours you don’t want to spend two of those hassling with the repair folks.

Malfunctions happen—and one doesn’t necessarily hold it against the brand or even the location. However, as a customer, you cannot help the feeling of being “taken” by a place that is providing cheap-to-produce accommodations (in all the construction finishing details, low staffing, etc...) but is charging you regular hotel rates for the privilege, while not honoring your reservation choices, not offering to do anything about it, and delivering poor quality accommodations. I hope I am never again in the position of having to accept such poor value at this location.

1  Thank foodie019
Flavia S, General Manager at Residence Inn Arlington Rosslyn, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Dear Foodie 019,

Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay at the Residence Inn Rosslyn . I am very sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. Please rest assured that we will discuss all your concerns with the appropriate departments. Our hotel has been recently renovated to meet the new Residence Inn standards so I was surprised to hear that you felt the room was not as spacious as they should be. We honor the room type reserved by our guests but on rare occasions we may be forced to change due to hotel being sold out or reasons beyond our control. I apologize for not being able to honor the room type you had originally reserved.

Please contact me directly to discuss how the hotel can compensate your for not meeting your expectations. Our guests' satisfaction is the very important to us. This was an isolated incident and by no means reflect the level of service we provide to our customers. We were awarded Trip Advisor Excellence Award in 2013 and have passed our annual Marriott Inspection in 2014.

Respectfully,

Reviewed March 28, 2014

This hotel was perfect in every way. Having parking readily available in the building and secured access to each floor made for a very safe feeling. The staff was very attentive and having a full hot breakfast included only made it even better.

Room Tip: If you need more than one room make sure you tell them in advance so you can get on the same floor.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Flavia S, General Manager at Residence Inn Arlington Rosslyn, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a Trip Advisor review about your recent stay at the Residence Inn Rosslyn. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and felt the hotel was safe. The comfort and safety of our guests are extremely important . We hope to be able to serve you in the near future.

Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

I checked in after a long travel and work day. I was met by an elderly gentleman who had trouble checking me in. After a small delay I went to my room. After unpacking, I noticed the bathroom counter was sticky and had powder on it. It hasn't been cleaned recently. The kitchenette counter wasn't much better. After cleaning them myself I went to throw away the paper towel in the trash can (under kitchen sink) only to find the trash overflowing with garbage. This was within 30 minutes of my check in ... Not my trash. They offered to move my room but I had already remedied the issues. I checked out 2 days early and got another hotel. Would not go back just due to the poor cleanliness. Unacceptable.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Flavia S, General Manager at Residence Inn Arlington Rosslyn, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

Dear Jill,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at the Residence Inn Rosslyn. We apologize for the problems you have experienced during your stay. It is our goal to meet all of our guests expectations.
Please rest assured that your concerns have been addressed with the housekeeping department and will be prevented from happening again.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if you would like to discuss this issue further.

Sincerely

Reviewed March 25, 2014

As you as you enter through the front doors you will be met by smiling, energetic, professional employees. The hotel has recently been completely renovated. The lobby area is fresh, well lit, and inviting. The rooms are spacious, immaculate, and well appointed to include; bedroom, sitting area, two flat panel TV's (bedroom & living room), couch, computer work station, dining table, kitchen with full refrigerator, microwave, sink, coffee maker (Keurig) and all the dishes and utensils you'll need for an extended stay. But the most pleasurable aspect of this hotel if by far the staff. From the check-in clerks to the housekeepers they will all make you truly feel welcome. They are always polite and take any steps necessary to make you feel welcome and appreciated regardless of length of stay. As a business traveler spending 150+ nights a year and a minimum of one trip a month to D.C. I will not stay anywhere else as I know an outstanding operation when I see one. Breakfast is served daily and dinner (evening social) Monday thru Wednesday. Good food and outstanding kitchen staff !

One block away; grocery store, CVS pharmacy, Dominos Pizza, 7 Eleven, numerous restaurants, DC Metro Rosslyn Station (two blocks) which serves the orange and blue line. The only way to travel in DC.

On site - ATM, washers/dryers, parking, snacks, beer, wine sodas. Free 24 hour coffee & tea. Starbucks & Jimmy Johns sandwich shop directly across the street.

Business or pleasure, you can't go wrong at this hotel !

Tom

Room Tip: I prefer a high room and have always been accommodated.

Dear Tom,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review about your recent stay at the Residence Inn Rosslyn.
We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the hotel amenities suited your needs.
We look forward to accommodating you in the near future if your travels bring you back to Arlington, VA.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

The hotel is just like.a place away from home. The staff especially the dining staff make you feel at home and belong to one big family. Room is clean, nice and functional. Bed is queen size. Two TVs for my room, one in the living room and another in the bedroom. There's a door separating the living room with the bedroom, which makes the AC cools the room a lot faster. Breakfast is good and complete. Dinner were also delicious. Lots of sturdy styrofoam boxes provided for those preferring to pack out food and eat in their rooms. Location is 3 minutes leisurely walk to Rosslyn Metro station. Lots of restaurants within easy reach from the hotel. Laundry rooms are scattered in different floors within the hotel. There's also a 4-piece gym machines in their exercise room. Will stay here again next time.

2  Thank Ebigo
Flavia S, General Manager at Residence Inn Arlington Rosslyn, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay at the newly renovated Residence Inn Rosslyn. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated our value added amenities such as the complimentary breakfast , evening special and our spacious suites. Our location at walking distance to the metro and our friendly staff are some of the reasons why we are popular choice in the Rosslyn area. We look forward to seeing you on your next trip to the area.

Reviewed March 3, 2014

Freshly renovated Residence Inn so the rooms are sparkling and comfortable. What makes this hotel so great is its staff. After not having been there in over two years I did not expect anyone to remember me. Much to my surprise I was immediately welcomed back by everyone from the manager to the house keepers. All the staff strives to make you feel welcome and at home. It starts with the friendly front desk staff but the highlights are the wonderful ladies who take care of the breakfast area (and make a wonderful breakfast). Whenever I come to the DC area I do my best to get a room at this wonderful hotel.

Room Tip: Odd number rooms face the back and are quieter.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business

Dear Barbara,

Thank you for writing such a positive review about your last stay at the newly renovated Residence Inn Rosslyn. We are glad you noticed the positive changes after our renovation. Our hotel was updated with the latest Residence Inn package to provide our guests with a more comfortable, relaxing and productive stay. We work hard to train our staff to provide our guests with memorable service and recognizing our past guests is one of our priorities. We appreciate your preference and look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Arlington, VA.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

We are a family of five, including three kids ages 7 to 15. This is the second year in a row that we stayed here with a group of families attending the March for Life. (See my previous review.)

We were scheduled to arrive on a Tuesday, but when snow was forecast for DC, we decided to drive on Monday night instead, and by phone I changed our reservation to arrive Monday night. We arrived at around 12:30am. The check-in as super fast, and within minutes a roll-away and extra towels were delivered to our room. Very much appreciated when tired and traveling with kids!

The hotel is completing major renovations. They were doing a great job of minimizing the disruption to the guests. We had a renovated room, and it was are beautiful. The lobby and dining area also look great.

The hotel was very busy with families, many of them large families, for the March. Despite being full, they did an absolutely amazing job at keeping the breakfast re-filled. There might be no empty chairs, but the breakfast was constantly refilled. And, as soon as a seat became vacant, the staff was watching and quickly cleaned off the table. I was very impressed. There was an evening meal as well, also excellent.

They hotel staff was very friendly to the families and kids. They made us feel truly welcome.

The hotel is also very conveniently located only a short walk from the Rosslyn Metro Station.

We would stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank family1991

Dear Residence Inn Rosslyn Guest,

Thank you so much for a positive review despite the fact that your stay was during our renovation. We are glad to report that our renovation has been completed and our 176 suites and public space are completely renovated. You are correct that our suites are very spacious and able to accommodate large families, especially our two bedroom/two bathroom suites. The staff does a great job trying to make our guests more comfortable and productive. We are glad we were able to take care of your needs. The snow is behind us and we are now enjoying spring temperatures.
We are looking forward to accommodating you and your family on your next trip to Arlington, VA.