“Great Balkan Experience”
Review of Ambar

Ambar
Reserve with OpenTable
Ambar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 954 Restaurants in Arlington
Description: Our aim is to put together the finest products of the New World and Old World for your dining pleasure. Perennially on the edge of great empires, the Balkans owes much of its food culture to its history, geography, and climate. The term Balkan is generally believed to come from the Byzantine word meaning: "a chain of wooded mountains." With a desire to introduce Virginia to cutting edge Balkan cuisine, we created a dining space that will delight and indulge the senses. Primarily featuring "small plates," Ambar also offers wines and spirits from the Balkans not often experienced by the American diner. Ambar showcases the best dishes from the Balkan Peninsula with a modern twist. These dishes are presented artfully, with modern combinations that deliver the flavor profiles in a unique way. Serbian natives Ivan Iricanin and Uros Smiljanic developed the menu with the help of Executive Chef Dejan Pilovic .
Reviewed October 10, 2016 via mobile

This is the first review I ever give. And I felt I had to do it because everything was absolutely great. The food was fantastic! It was fresh, tasty and delicious. We had the small plates menu and each and every one was different in taste and presentation. The slow cooked cabbage and the veal stew were great. The salads were very fresh and the sea food was awesome. I recommend the mussels and trout.
All the staff was very friendly. The manager Uros was very kind and attentive. We randomly had dinner there since we were traveling from NY and I strongly recommend it! Cool place to have a great dinner!

Sanja S, Guest Relations Manager at Ambar, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2016

Hello,

We can’t express how honored we are to be your first review ever. :)

Thank you for all the compliments and we look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Clarendon or Washington DC.

Reviewed October 10, 2016

I have been wanting to try out the Ambar in Barracks Row for a long time, but have never gotten the chance, so when this location opened, we jumped at the opportunity and were Not disappointed! Not only was everything that we tried absolutely delicious, but the staff was extremely attentive (from the manager to the man that never let me see the bottom of my water glass) as well as extremely knowledgeable of all of the dishes and Balkan cuisine in general. Since there were six of us, we opted for the "Balkan experience," which is one price for as many plates as you can eat. Our waiter Valentine threw in his favorites along the way and we left stuffed to the gills and so very satisfied. Everything (and I mean everything, don't skimp on the scrumptious spread selection) was delicious and presented beautifully. I'm a vegetarian and my favorite was the stuffed pepper with olive tapenade. I could've eaten 20 of those. And my omnivorous companions had no complaints about their orders either, which were all devoured. Needless to say at this point, but I highly recommend a visit to Ambar!

Hello,

Thank you for leaving a review on TripAdvisor.

We’re thrilled that you had a great time at Ambar Clarendon and that our location suited you perfectly. :)

We hope you’ll become our regular guest.

Reviewed October 8, 2016

We had the pleasure of dining at Ambar in Arlington during their opening weekend here. It also happened to be our wedding anniversary. What a meal, and what an experience! The food was as authentic, fresh and tasty as any we had when we traveled in the Balkans. You can order any of the items on the entire menu as small plates -- and it's an amazing value for the quality and variety of food. The mezzes of salamis and prosciuttos were excellent; mushroom soup phenomenal. Lots of terrific spreads -- and then the grilled fishes and meats -- especially the shrimp, lamb medallions and calamari -- were all literally lip-smacking! Absolutely make sure to also try the traditional dishes like the cabbage with stuffed pork and veal stew. All in all, the food and atmosphere and service were first-rate, energetic and fun. Stefan, our waiter, had great expertise, enthusiasm and professional flair. He knew the menu and helped make the meal a true experience!

Hello,

Thank you for leaving a review. We made your wedding anniversary even better!

We’re glad you loved our traditional food and our ambiance and we hope to serve you again. :)

All the staff, including Stefan, send their regards.

Reviewed October 6, 2016

My wife and I had a very nice "Balkan Experience" dinner here that involved lots of small plates on the night of its grand opening. The food was delicious and came at a good pace. We enjoyed several delicious spreads, a hearty mushroom soup, the Balkan salad and a Squash salad, grilled brussel sprouts, fried calamari, fried zucchini, and a serving of apple pie. The only negative was the noise level, which made conversation difficult, even across a very small table.

Hello,

Thank you very much for leaving a review. We’re thrilled that you made it over to Ambar for opening day. Regarding the noise, we assume it’s because there were lots of people present on opening night and the energy was high. We will definitely take your feedback into consideration and do our best to improve the ambiance for our guests.

We hope to see you again!

Reviewed October 5, 2016 via mobile

I came to check it out after a grand opening. I ordered rotisserie pork, veal stew and balkan cookies. Evrything was incredibly delicious. Staff was attentive, very informative and efficient. I will definitely come back. Good job Ambar!

Hello,

Thank you for being the first one to leave a review on TripAdvisor and for giving us five stars! We’re glad you loved our restaurant and we hope to see you many times again in the future. :)

Best regards!