“just celebrated their 238th birthday”

U.S. Marine Corps War Memorial
$55.00*
Morning DC Small-Group Bus Tour
Ranked #3 of 107 things to do in Arlington
More attraction details
Owner description: Commonly called the "Iwo Jima Memorial," the statue is a depiction of the famous raising of the U.S. flag on Iwo Jima and is dedicated to all Marines who have given their lives defending that flag.
Reviewed November 20, 2013

be respectful here. this is a memorial honoring all marines and their battles and losses. google the story of this from james bradley, whos father was the only non marine. he is on the backside and a navy corpman. james also wrote Flags of our Fathers. There is an amazing story of this iconic statue from ww2. block, gagnon, strenk, hayes, sousley and bradley. Dont go with the urban legend of the 13 hands. the hand of god. that part is not true. and though the flag was raised twice, it was not staged for rosenthal. read the story first

Write a ReviewReviews (2,019)

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Seen pictures but to see the monument was awesome especially at night. The Marines and the sculptor did the original picture justice. It is very moving and is a great tribute to our fallen Marines.

Semper Fi!

Reviewed November 18, 2013

The Memorial is one of my favorites during the day, but it is absolutely breath-taking when viewed at night.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

As a Marine the monument is a must do. I do wish it was in a better location. But for all of us who proudly wore the Eagle, Anchor and the Globe it is an honor to stand before it and honor all those who have gone before us and currently serve.

Reviewed November 8, 2013

I walked round to this monument via Arlington cemetery. I didn't find this very well sign posted, I only really found it as I followed some people from the cemetery via this side gate as I had a vague idea where the monument was so I guessed they'd all be going to see it too, fortunately that was the case.
I was really surprised how big this monument is, it was a lot larger than I'd imagined it to be. When I got there I was interested to read about the monument and the battle for Iwoa Jima in WW2. It made me think how brave these fellas were, I also found the fact all the campaigns are listed on the monument interesting too, although rather ominously their is a lot of space left for future campaigns to be added. While I was there a few coaches of veterans were visiting, from Wisconsin (I was told). I took some photos of them with the memorial and their guides. The guides told me they were with marines from Korea and WW2 - again it made me think what these fellas had seen and how brave they all were. In a way speaking to the guides made me appreciate the memorials more so. Once they'd all moved on I got some more photos and left, just as another coach turned up. Again it's a long walk from any metro, but that seemed to be a general consistency with a lot of memorials I visited in my time at DC.