“Moving Experience”

$45.00*
DC After Dark
Ranked #3 of 97 things to do in Arlington
More attraction details
Owner description: Commonly called the "Iwo Jima Memorial," the statue is a depiction of the famous raising of the U.S. flag on Iwo Jima and is dedicated to all Marines who have given their lives defending that flag.
Arlington, Virginia
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“Moving Experience”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Visiting the Iwo Jima memorial is a very moving experience. When you think of all the sacrifice that led up to the placing of the flag depicted in the memorial, the statute represents all the men and women who served in WWII. I have been there many times and the memorial never fails to impress me.

Visited March 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Easley, South Carolina
93 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1,052 helpful votes
“Must see when visiting DC...”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We visited on Sunday morning, July 28 (we arranged for a "DC by foot" walking tour ahead of time). We arrived around 9:15am in time to find the location of my Aunt's grave through their on-line system. We were able to do this and visit her grave prior to our 10:00am tour. Tour was great in that lots information was gleaned about the specifics of the cemetary. A separate review is posted on TA about our tour.

The thing to me that is so overwhelming about Arlington Cemetary is the size of it. It is so beautiful. The way the headstones align is almost eery. The sacrifice of so many people does my heart good. While it is sad, in reflection, it is something to be so very prideful about.

Our country has so many good people who are willing to sacrifice everything for us and our country.

The view looking down from General Lee's old house back at the city is amazing. Our 3 sons really understood the magnitude of our visit to Arlington. That, too, serves one's heart well.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank abcjjl
Niagara Falls, Ontario
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 153 helpful votes
“Awesome”
Reviewed August 7, 2013 via mobile

Loved the Iwo Jima memorial. It is a spectacular sight, especially at night. Not a lot of parking and difficult to drive to.

Visited August 2013
Melbourne, Australia
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“My favorite”
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

I love this monument. I couldn't wait to see it. It was so much bigger than expected. The information boards are a must read....take the time as it explains the monument in detail. I did not see the parade unfortunately. A moving experience. Don't miss out!

Visited August 2013
Flagstaff, Arizona
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Inspiring”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I had an uncle who served and made it back from Iwo Jima and it depicts the bravery and dedication of those marines whom I respect so much! Also see the FDR memorial another inspiration.

Visited July 2013