“Very Moving”

Ranked #1 of 105 things to do in Arlington
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Veterans of every American war from the Revolution to the country's most recent conflicts are buried at Arlington, which was officially declared a military cemetery in 1864. Among the more than 260,000 dead are three unidentified service members, buried at the Tomb of the Unknowns, and John F. Kennedy, whose gravesite is marked by an eternal flame.
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I over planned my day and didn't make it to Arlington until 5:30 on a day it closed at 7. Fortunately, I did make it in time to see the eternal flame burning at Kennedy's grave and to watch the last changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unkown. Both are well worth visiting.

The sheer number of gravesites is sobering and I have seldom felt such gratitude and patriotism as I did walking the grounds at Arlington. I recommend it to any and all.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

My wife has two relatives buried at Arlington (an uncle who survived the Bataan Death March and an aunt who served in the Army Nurse Corps). Whenever we're in the Washington D.C. area we try to stop here to pay our respects. The staff has always been very helpful in giving directions and the grounds are very well maintained.

It's a sobering experience to visit Arlington and see the graves of so many fallen service personnel.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Chilling and awe-inspiring, I can not imagine anyone visiting ANC and not being affected by its vastness, beauty and historical importance. The first thing I felt when we actually entered the grounds were chills and this quiet respect on a level I have never felt before. The Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown was probably the most memorable experince I have had. There are no words to really convey the experience because all in all it feels very personal. A must see.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Take your time to appreciate the calm and the beauty of this National Cemetery. The attention and care of the grounds are amazing. I am fortunate to have a relative who lives several blocks away and was able to take several walks here. It is a beautiful arboretum, along with a dignified resting place for our fallen service men and women. There is no running or cycling in the Cemetery and this keeps the peace.The Iwo Jima monument is especially magnificent during late afternoon and early sunset.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

This site was huge! It's an overwhelming place to walk around and just be in the presence of our nation's fallen heroes. We unfortunately wore sandals and flip flops so we didn't get far. We did see Kennedy's grave but it was a far walk to the tomb of the unknown soldier. I guarantee we'll visit again and next time we'll were our sneakers!