“Very Moving”

Ranked #1 of 93 things to do in Arlington
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Veterans of every American war from the Revolution to the country's most recent conflicts are buried at Arlington, which was officially declared a military cemetery in 1864. Among the more than 260,000 dead are three unidentified service members, buried at the Tomb of the Unknowns, and John F. Kennedy, whose gravesite is marked by an eternal flame.
Saratoga Springs, Utah
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Very Moving”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I over planned my day and didn't make it to Arlington until 5:30 on a day it closed at 7. Fortunately, I did make it in time to see the eternal flame burning at Kennedy's grave and to watch the last changing of the guard at the Tomb of the Unkown. Both are well worth visiting.

The sheer number of gravesites is sobering and I have seldom felt such gratitude and patriotism as I did walking the grounds at Arlington. I recommend it to any and all.

Visited July 2013

• Turkish first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“An Absolute Must See”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Chilling and awe-inspiring, I can not imagine anyone visiting ANC and not being affected by its vastness, beauty and historical importance. The first thing I felt when we actually entered the grounds were chills and this quiet respect on a level I have never felt before. The Changing of the Guard at the Tomb of the Unknown was probably the most memorable experince I have had. There are no words to really convey the experience because all in all it feels very personal. A must see.

Boston
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“The Most Beautiful and Dignified Resting Place”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Take your time to appreciate the calm and the beauty of this National Cemetery. The attention and care of the grounds are amazing. I am fortunate to have a relative who lives several blocks away and was able to take several walks here. It is a beautiful arboretum, along with a dignified resting place for our fallen service men and women. There is no running or cycling in the Cemetery and this keeps the peace.The Iwo Jima monument is especially magnificent during late afternoon and early sunset.

Towson, Maryland, United States
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Extremely overwhelming”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This site was huge! It's an overwhelming place to walk around and just be in the presence of our nation's fallen heroes. We unfortunately wore sandals and flip flops so we didn't get far. We did see Kennedy's grave but it was a far walk to the tomb of the unknown soldier. I guarantee we'll visit again and next time we'll were our sneakers!

Lexington, Kentucky
105 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Worth the trip”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This is definitely worth the trip (it's accessible by Metro, but much easier to get to by taxi if you don't mind the extra cost). We particularly enjoyed visiting the JFK gravesite and, of course, the Tomb of the Unknowns. The latter is treated as a separate attraction on TripAdvisor so this review is for the rest of the park. The rolling hills covered with gravesites makes quite an impact and it reminds you just how many men and women died to defend this great country. A wonderful place for remembrance and reflection.