“Clean & Bright”

Lighthouse Tofu Korean Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 121 Restaurants in Annandale
Cuisines: Korean
Reviewed November 27, 2013

This was our first visit to this place. We arrived about 6PM on a cold Sunday and were seated right away. It did get crowded around 7PM. We were served with hot tea right after we were seated. We did not know what to order so the waiter suggested Korean Beef short ribs ($20) & Tofu soup with seafood ($10). The sides came out right away about 6 different dishes (kimchi, pickled squash, tofu, etc). The rice comes in a hot iron croc, after they serve 2 bowls, they leave the crisp rice on the edge of the croc and pour tea into it. The beef came out and was very tasty & delicious. Soon after we finished the beef, the soup arrived in a hot iron croc. It had shrimps with the head on it, small clams and mussels. The croc kept the soup HOT. Great for a cold night! They refill the sides for free and no charge for tea. We thoroughly enjoyed it and had leftover soup & sides to take home. We had a Groupon coupon and will definitely come back at regular price. We did notice an egg pancake dish looked interesting and may order next time.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Hearty, delicious tofu soups make you keep wanting to come back here. The BBQ meat dishes are good, although not as good as at the special BBQ restaurants. Overall, a very satisfying experience, without the long waiting lines typical of good Korean restaurants in the area.

2  Thank Lam N
Reviewed June 1, 2013

It has been years since we last visited because we hated the cranky service we got then. Took a chance again when Living Social offered deals for this place.

Went last week on a Thursday evening and the restaurant was not too crowded. The service staff who took our order was very courteous, nice and friendly. And even the lady who served our food was very approachable. We had the medium spicy tofu soup (mixed seafood) and the beef bulgogi. Quite yummy! We were also given the usual Korean side dishes of kimchi, and pickled chayote squash that was yummy and crispy, and the cold kimchi soup plus steamed rice. The hot pot that the rice was dished out from had the crusty rice left on the pot and they poured some of the tea, an interesting side dish. We loved the chayote pickles that we requested for seconds!

Around the restaurant, there were several areas where they placed takeout containers making it easier for the servers to give this to us instead of going back to the kitchen. We took home our leftover soup, and even on our way out, we were solicitously offered a plastic bag for our takeout without us asking.

This is certainly a great way to come back. Sure hope that they continue to get their service staff to be smiling and friendly, as it gives a great impression.

1  Thank cja
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I have to admit that I've not been a fan of Korean food, partly because I don't understand what I'm eating or how to eat it. Finally though, after a 'tutorial' by a nice young waiter who could see that my friend and I were completely out of our element, I have overcome my fear and would definitely return to this or other Korean restaurants. I ordered the Bibimbap, which was AMPLE - enought to bring home for a second meal. The seafood pancake was also very good. The waiters and staff were very friendly, and I liked the ambiance - light and airy. There was a positive energy about the place which causes me to want to return. My only hesitation in giving this restaurant an 'Excellent' rating is that I haven't had enought Korean food to know if the food was excellent or not. i can say that the Bibimbap had a very tasty meat at the bottom that was a bit of a tease. I wish there had been a little more of it. Other than that minor detail, thumbs up all around for Lighthouse Tofu!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

We eat a lot of Pho Soup in Northern Virginia and we love it but yesterday I did not want something heavy and packed with noodles. I wanted something smooth and silky and boy did I find it! Lighthouse Tofu/Vit Goel had tasty and fast Korean tofu soup. The price for 2 people was under $30 and while their menu is not huge they have all the favorites like the kalbee, bulgolgi, tofu soup options at different temperatures, Korean pancakes, etc. I had the vegetable soup while my husband opted for the seafood soup. Both bowls came out bubbling hot and upon cooling off were really tasty. Our little one (19 months) loved the potato Korean pancake that we ordered and portions of our brown rice. The service was good and friendly and they offered us a loyalty card so we'd come back and earn points with each visit. I had a feeling that this would be the real deal when I looked around and saw that we were the only non-Korean diners in the restaurant.

2  Thank beckar00