“Not my choice, It was a business trip”

Amelia Inn & Suites
Panama City Beach, Florida
“Not my choice, It was a business trip”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I had to stay here on business so I had no choice of hotels, Check in went ok, I believe the Owners live on premises and they speak poor English. I Went to the room which looked clean, Bed was OK, They need to upgrade their TV's, The still have the big box TV with no HDMI input for my Laptop. The reception comes and goes depending on weather which was snowing at the time. They have about 45 channels. The big issue is the remote did not function, I had to press 02,03,04 and so on to go through the channels. I asked for one that worked and was told they would bring me one, Never did. Morning came and I went downstairs for breakfast, Her is what I saw, 2 kinds of cereal, Bread for toast, Very small 1 Bite Muffins, A waffle maker, OJ, Milk, Coffee, I went for the coffee and It was Ice Cold, so I went with Milk, which was almost warm. (good thing there is a McDonald's next door) Basically, if you need a place to sleep and nothing else, this is your hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Salisbury, NC
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Checked in by unfriendly staff member. I verified that the room had two beds and asked about it being a smoke free room. She pointed to a sign over her head which said that there no smoking in any room. Now, for the energy it took for her to raise her arm and point, I think she could have said, "yes."

Obtained key card, went to room, opened door and spotted a suitcase on the floor. I went back downstairs, called staff on phone and was switched to another room. I asked staff person shouldn't she re-key key card. She said no. Proceeded to new room, and the key card wouldn't work. Went back down stairs; she got some help; re-keyed key card and I got into my room.

The room was clean, the bed comfortable, and I consider the stay adequate.

I knew that this was not the Ritz when I booked, but the experience would have been a lot better had I been greeted by someone who actually acted like they gave a toss.

Room Tip: I was on the back side of the property away from McDonalds. I heard nothing at night except the sla...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank jah857
Chesapeake, Virginia
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We stayed here one night on our way to Appomattox. The rooms themselves were very clean and comfortable. It was a good place to rest our heads in passing. There is not very many restaurants around this area that you do not have to drive 10+ miles to go to especially on a Sunday when many of them were closed. The service we received wasn't accommodating. We were treated as if they were doing us a favor by allowing us to stay at their hotel. When I arrived, there was no one at the desk, but a note to call a number for assistance. I did, but the number was busy. I assume that they had call waiting because the attendant did come after 5 minutes. She advised us that the hotel was 100% non-smoking and when I told her that it wasn't a problem because no one in our party smoked, she stated "that is what everybody says". Next was the luggage cart in which she asked us several questions before she would allow us to use it to bring our luggage upstairs. Also anytime that you used the elevator, she would comment that we should use the stairs. Anytime we had a question or need, we had to go downstairs and call the number on the desk. Each time we called with a question/request, we were met with a busy signal. The high speed internet only works in the lobby.

Not the worst stay of have had, but I like to be treated cordially and not questioned or ignored.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank dguern1
Mineral Bluff, Georgia
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We checked in on 7/10/12 and found the motel to be very clean, comfortable and affordable. The check-in clerk was very nice, but in the morning, there was no one behind the desk to check us out. You just leave your key at the desk. There is a note at the desk to dial an extension if you need any help, and then a staff member will come out to you. The motel seems safe, & is located near a McDonald's and a Family Dollar store, in case you forget something. The Quick Start Breakfast is a bit sparse, but far better that nothing. Overall, the value is there and I would stay again if I were in the area again. There is no where else to stay in the area, so go ahead and check it out. Traveling west from there, there is no place else to eat until you get to Keysville, so eat breakfast before you head west.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Robert P
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Reviewed April 18, 2012

We chose this particular hotel because of it's location. Just a couple miles down the road is the Morefield Gem Mine and we had plans to get to the mine early the next morning. We did not have any expectations for our stay except to have a bed to sleep in.

The hotel looks nice enough on the outside. The parking lot is in need of repair where it transitions from the parking lot for the shopping strip to the hotel entrance. Otherwise, I have no other comments about the exterior.

The check in process was easy and we had our keys within a few minutes. We prepaid for the accommodations through Choicehotels.com. One thing to note: We purchased a room with a "kitchen" and was given keys to a room that did not have a "stove". When we went back to the front desk to straighten this out, she let us know that you can have a room with either a stove top or a microwave. You cannot have both. We opted for the stove top, but did not use it. The stove top consist of two electric stove top elements. No oven.

The room was ok. Several items needed repairs in the room... the high speed data port could not be used due to being pushed all the way in the wall outlet, and the towel rack above the toilet was about to fall off the wall. I will say, though, that the heat/ A/C unit looked brand new and worked great!. Bed coverings were ok but look they they will need to be replaced soon. I was a little surprised that the bathroom counter was granite! Bathroom sink was nice and deep. Shower pressure and temps also very good.

The continental breakfast was pretty good. Consist of little muffins, make-your-own waffles (my daughter loved this), cold cereal, juice, coffee, and milk. No fruits or danish. We appreciated this free amenity.

Overall it appears the staff are making good attempts to keep the place running as best they can. One last comment I would make... they use copier paper with hand-written notes all over the place. The signs really cheapened the place in my opinion. I would make an investment for more permanent signs.

Being right next to a McDonalds restaurant on a Friday night I was concerned about possible noise during the night, but this was not a problem at all.

I would stay here again if we were to find ourselves in the area.

Room Tip: Have a choice of either a stove top with 2 burners or a room with a microwave.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DonStaten
Williamsburg, Virginia
Reviewed August 29, 2011

We stayed at this Hotel last night due to power outage from Hurricane Irene. I do not normally stay at Econo Lodge but most Hotels that had power were full. This one is brand new so we took a chance. I was very pleased with the Hotel. It was well managed, clean and had all the basic necessities. For the price it was a very good value. One tip though - Avoid the Mario's Italian & Pizza place next door. It was a rip off, the food was of poor quality and the place was dirty.
As for this Hotel if you are looking for clean , basic value this Hotel will suit you well!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Lawrence C
JRWilcox
Reviewed December 19, 2010

The Econo Lodge is clean and basic -seems almost new. No frills but has everything you need. Its small, quiet and offers breakfast (we didn't make it to breakfast in time but McDonald's is just a hop away).

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Richmond - Brandermill - Hull St
No photo provided
Hampton Inn Richmond-Midlothian Turnpike
Four Points by Sheraton Richmond

Been to Amelia Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!