“Good food but not welcoming to Walk In's”
Review of Oak Tree Tavern

Oak Tree Tavern
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Alton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This is the restaurant on the grounds of the Virginia International Raceway
Reviewed October 8, 2012

The family and I have been a few times we always have trouble getting a sit and normally have to sit in the bar (not a place for my younger brother) the food is normally good not always hot when we get it and they say Reservations are recommended but yet when I call I can Never make any and the Hostess is RUDE and basically says we aren't welcomed!

There are newer reviews for Oak Tree Tavern

Reviewed August 12, 2012

Food was very good...we had 4 different entrees and all were good. I had the portebella ravioli with parmesan tomato sauce...very tasty. Crab cakes were big and delicious, pan seared halibut was good and the sirloin steak was cooked perfectly. The cheddar cheese biscuits were hot out of the oven. They make an excellent bloody Mary, too. The Belgium chocolate pie was rich but a hint of bitter to the chocolate...very good! A good evening in a relaxing atmosphere....the house is beautifully restored.....nice bar area and a billiards table available. Felt like we were in the mountains......

1  Thank Jhussey
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Visited on a slow night, there were no activities going on at the racetrack, and paddocks were empty. The service was wonderful, and the food was outstanding. The baked potato was wrapped with a bacon strip, cooked to perfection. The steak was just as I requested, tender and juicy. It is well worth the visit when you are in the area, the decor of the old Mansion house is really interesting.

1  Thank kushmon
Reviewed July 9, 2012

We went to the Oak Tree Tavern to try their $9.99 Steak, Spuds, and Suds special (extra dollar for a house salad). It sounds like a great value, and the Spuds and Suds and Salad were good, but the Sirloin steak was such a terrible cut of meat that it was virtually inedible. I had such great difficulty in cutting the steak, cooked medium-medium rare, that my plate was moving all over the place. I then had to drench it in A1 sauce in order to help force it down - which I NEVER do.

Overall the restaurant atmosphere is excellent and the regular menu makes it look like they have a quality (and relatively expensive) selection during the rest of the week. However, the quality of the meat and the poor service on this Monday night steak special was so terrible that we won't be coming back any other night of the week to give them a second chance. I had very low expectations because of the price, but this definitely came in beneath those low expectations.

Additionally, I have to comment that the service was less than mediocre. Our server completely disappeared from the dining room for more than 25 mins on at least two occasions, leaving us with empty beverages while we waited and waited for our meals to be delivered (over an hour from the time we ordered).

Also, make sure you have reservations for this restaurant. In spite of itself, it does seem to be very popular on Monday nights. We were turned away last week because we didn't have a reservation and this week we had to call four different times to try to make a reservation. We left a message and someone called us back four hours later (and an hour before dinnertime).

I'm rating it 3* because we have only been here once and I'm giving them a slight benefit of the doubt. If we were to come again and receive the same service/food, the rating would be much lower. The atmosphere is excellent, but overall our experience was very poor.

Reviewed April 9, 2012

It is a real nice place, but you pay for the niceness of it