“Not as good as expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Overwood - CLOSED

Overwood
Cuisines: American, Bar, Seafood, Grill, Pub
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Old Town
Des Moines, Iowa
“Not as good as expected”
Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

Thought I would give it a try. Other reviews seemed to rave about it. I found the menu very limited, that was the first disappointment. I opted for the chicken over greens salad, and the salad seemed to me to have been made up in advance (cut grape tomatoes were going opaque, lettuce was browning, telltale signs). Would expect FRESH for a pricey restaurant with a limited menu. Was willing to pay for fresh!

Maryland
“Good French Toast”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

I went for brunch/lunch with a group of about 20 people to this very peaceful spot. We were seated in a private room, which was great (we're a chatty bunch). Most in the group parked on the street and later found out that it would have been better to park on the lot conveniently located across the street from the restaurant. We pre-ordered the brunch items several days in advance, as requested by the manager. However, upon arrival the two waiters that were assigned to us went around the table and asked for our order. It wasn't a big deal, because after seeing the menu - many chose to pick something else. I stuck with my original order of the Grand Hotel French Toast -$12. It was encrusted w/ cornflakes & cinnamon, a side of Grand Marnier whipped cream, maple syrup and accompanied with bacon. I was pleased, but I'm easy – I’m a true "breakfast” person. I would note that if you love bacon, you may want to have a chat about ordering extra. The description read "smoked bacon" - not any that I've had. There were just two little, sad strips of regular crispy bacon - not impressive. It would have been better served with some type of thick cut, maple wood smoked bacon - yum. I did mention that I love breakfast!

If like me, you're from a state that is known for seafood/crab cakes, you may want to avoid the $17 Jumbo Lump crab cake sandwich. I don't know why, but several people ordered it and didn't like the flavor and were disappointed by the size of the crab cake. A few asked the waiter for Old Bay seasoning (a Maryland breed seasoning). Hello, you're MARYLANDERS people - stick to getting your crab cake from home! It's hard to measure up to local places that offer great crab cakes priced competitively. Anyway...it's conveniently located in walking distance of the National Harbor and other shops, etc.

Overall, the food was good, the place was clean, the staff was nice, and the location is in a great area.

• Visited June 2014
Reno Nevada
“Two Blocks Off the Main Drag, Totally Worth It!”
Reviewed June 14, 2014

I had the bbq shrimp and grits ($14). I love grits but live in the west so don’t pretend to be a connoisseur, but the cheesy, garlicky grits at the Overwood were perfect, and topped with bacon wrapped, bbq sauced shrimp and a mushroom gravy. You would think that would be a mess, it wasn't. Or if it was that was some kind of good mess! Because it was morning and we were on vacation, we were forced to wash down brunch with bloody mary’s ($7.50) which were equally awesome. The Wife stuck to eggs, potatoes, bacon and toast. Not much room for mistakes or creativity, but the potatoes were good and, at her request, they overcooked the bacon perfectly. As if that were possible. (She doesn’t read my reviews, so I can critique her food faux pas). We were very happy we left King Street to find the Overwood!

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank 3barblues
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Decent food, reasonably priced”
Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

We stumbled across this restaurant, a couple of blocks off the main drag of King Street in old town Alexandria. The food is not particularly unique, but it is generally well-prepared and the prices are pretty reasonable. My son and I ordered the surf and turf special - lobster tail and a thick cut of sirloin for about $25. The steak was prepared to perfection; the lobster tail a little bit overcooked but still very good with lemon and drawn butter. Homemade fries and coleslaw on the side – not fancy, but tasty and very filling.

Visited May 2014
Baltimore, Maryland
“Coupons”
Reviewed April 11, 2014

We were drawn in that evening by coupons that Overwood had mailed. Typical coupons of 'buy one entree get one free' up to $12 value. We were two couples at the same table, however only one coupon would be honored. What difference does it make if we sit at the same table or opposite sides of the restaurant, or dine at different times? Give us two checks, if you must, to keep your bookkeeping straight. Or how about listing "only one coupon per table" on the coupon. Both the waitress and manager missed a chance for completely satisfied customers.
Food was okay.