“Friendly Staff; Not Exactly The Best Location”

Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria
Ranked #21 of 53 Hotels in Alexandria
New York City, New York
“Friendly Staff; Not Exactly The Best Location”
Reviewed November 1, 2010

My bf and I knew this hotel was going to be a bit out of the way and a bit of a walk from the closest Metro station, but hotels in DC itself were so expensive we thought it'd be worth the substantial savings to stay out in Alexandria. Really the hotel had no problems...the room was huge and clean and came with a big refrigerator to stock with breakfast stuff and snacks from Trader Joe's (two blocks away). Aside from Trader Joe's, though, and a local diner, there really is nothing nearby this hotel. It's a 10 minute walk form the heart of Old Town despite its name. The Braddock Road metro station is also about a 10 minute walk away, and you have to walk through a questionable (possibly unsafe?) neighborhood to get there. The King Street station, really the metro station I think of when I think of "Old Town Alexandria," is a good 25 minute walk away...although a delightful walk through a cute part of town. There is a hotel shuttle, but it runs only every half hour or hour. The hotel pool was big but not that inviting, and the workout room was quite small. Overall the hotel was a good experience considering the low price, but it's really best to arrive with a car and not to rely on public transit or neighborhood stores/restaurants. I will say the barbecue chicken pizza on the room service menu was perhaps the best BBQ chicken pizza I've ever had. Order it.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, November 8, 2010
I am glad you had such a good experience with your recent visit. While some guests enjoy a residential feel in location, others prefer to be around more city friendly conveniences like shops and restaurants. I am happy to say that the City of Alexandria does a phenomenal job making sure that our guests visiting stay in one of the safest areas in the country.
We work hard to make sure our restaurant offers fresh, quality food and I am glad you had a chance to try it. Please do stay with us again, we depend on your return and know you have many choices. Most Sincerely, Steve W.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
  • Arabic first
Duluth, Minnesota, USA
Reviewed October 12, 2010

We used this hotel for our guests for our wedding. We booked a block, and things seemed to be organized at first. However upon checking in the hotel was very disorganized, check-in had over a half hour long line, and no one seemed to be able or even willing to help with issues. Many of our guests complained to the manager. Our biggest fiasco was due to a breakfast reservation. We had established ahead of time that guests were to pay for breakfast on their own. However at the end of the meal, my mother was handed a bill for 23 breakfasts. They refused to split the bill, and when we complained to management they hardly acknowledged our complaint. Although the hotel itself was in okay shape, it's staff wasn't at all. I wouldn't recommend for anyone looking for any accomodations outside of a bed to sleep in.

• Stayed July 2010
1 Thank Lisa M
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, October 18, 2010
Thanks so much for your feedback regarding your wedding event at the hotel. I am always disappointed when our services do not meet expectations. Our staff works very hard to accommodate requests but unfortunately even when we are fully staffed we do not know for certain when heavy activity will occur and I am sorry we could not get to your requests fast enough. As you may know we offered our private dining room at no additional cost to your family, but because your family sat as one group it took time to seperate the individual checks and to determine who to put on the same bill. As you may recall we gave you a significant discount for your trouble even though the hotel was not at fault and your mother-inlaw was very appreciative. Again, I am terribly sorry we did not meet your expectations but you can be sure we have learned from what happened so that others are not disappointed. Thanks again for your comments and we always hope to see you again soon! Best Regards, Steve W.
Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 12, 2010

October 9-11, 2010
We originally planned to go to the Virginia Wine Festival in Old Town and compared hotels in the area close to where it was held in 2009. After booking Sheraton’s Better Tomorrows - Stay One Night and the Next is 40% Off (code ZB4) we found out the 2010 Wine Fest was canceled. There is plenty to do in and around Old Town without the fest, including the Saturday morning Farmer’s Market on the Square, great restaurants and shopping, and seeing the beautiful building architecture.

Sheraton Suites is clean and well maintained. A wedding party was checking in ahead of us. There were two women working the front desk, the one with the accent seemed harsh, we watched her turn two people away from the desk and her voice was not what I consider customer friendly. I thought it was an issue with rooms not being ready (this was at 2:00 pm, official check in is listed as 3:00 pm, but we all know that hotel rooms are usually ready early.) She did say the hotel was fully booked for the weekend. We moved to the other woman’s line and heard the woman with the accent take a phone call from someone who had booked through Expedia and was trying to cancel their reservation. She seemed to enjoy telling them that she could do nothing for them and that she IS the manager. All of that may be true but she seemed to relish the audience in front of her hearing her conversation. Unnecessary drama and unprofessional.

Like another reviewer we had trouble with our room key working in our electronic lock but after 3-4 tries it would finally unlock our door. The suite was laid out well and very clean, we had a nice view across the Old Town skyline. We searched around and found the ice/vending machines, the pool and work out room are on the second floor, there’s a verandah outside the pool where you can sit and have drinks or lay out in the sun. The pool is huge for a hotel pool and enclosed for year round use. There was also a Jacuzzi beside the pool. The bar was a good place to have an evening drink before heading downtown, bartenders were very accommodating. The morning breakfast buffet is a great deal, only $5.00 for hot and cold selections, coffee, juices. We didn’t have any other meals here but only because we were on the go and away from the hotel during mealtimes. Their advertised specials sounded very reasonable and the atmosphere in the restaurant is as nice as the Loews Hotel in Annapolis.

We used the hotel’s shuttle service to take us downtown for shopping and to National airport to catch the metro. Very convenient and friendly service by their drivers. The hotel’s underground parking ($22/day) was protected at night with a chain door. You need your room key to get in and out of the parking but if you forget it, there’s a button to push for the front desk to open the gate. Close by is a Royal Restaurant where friends who stayed in another nearby hotel ate and said was reasonable and had good food. Trader Joe’s is within walking distance, you can get bottled water, sodas, and anything else grocery related. We bought a few bottles of wine and had one out on the hotel patio one evening along with a cheese plate. They also have beer, import and domestic. Giant has a store nearby, as well.

Overall, I’d recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Old Town Alexandria. We’d gladly return next year if the VA Wine Fest 2012 was up and running again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cornertown
I really appreciate the detail within your comments as it is very helpful. I am glad you had many positive things to say and will certainly follow up on the staff that demonstrated a negative attitude. We want all guests to be treated by friendly staff no matter by phone or in person and I am sorry you did not see us at our best. While often we do have rooms ready early not all days does this occur and please remember on busy days like on the weekends we have many people arriving early so getting in before 3pm is not always possible. Again, thanks for your feedback on your stay and your Alexandria experience. We hope you will visit us again and really appreciate your recommendation of our Hotel! Best Regards, Steve W.
Ajijic, Mexico
Reviewed September 15, 2010

This hotel is in beautiful Alexandria, 7 blocks fron King Street. 2 blocks from the jogging path on the river, with a few restaurants within a block and dozens within 7 blocks. The hotel is well-maintained, and has the usual suite's amenities. There were a couple things that caused me to rate it slightly lower on some points. First, upon checking in, my room key did not work; front desk gave me a new key which did not work either; then they sent me up with a front desk employee and a new key and again it didn't work; then we tried that one more time -- finally, after 4 attempts, I pushed them to give me a different room. Staff was nice enough, but a weak battery on the door should have been given more salience than I was just incompentent at opening my door. Second, we had a power outage one night, and the staff left all the clocks just blinking rather than resetting them. Both of these are minor points -- otherwise everything was OK.

I saw a few dogs in the lobby -- I love a liberal dog policy; it does make the place seem homier.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, September 20, 2010
Thanks so much for your feedback on how we can do better. You are absolutely right that the key should work properly especially before you even have a chance to get into your room and we have to fix this problem so others are not disappointed as you were. I really appreciate your understanding about the power outage. As you know the storm was very damaging to the surrounding area and we are thankful our guests were so cooperative. I am glad you had a nice stay and you can be sure we will work on the things that make our hotel one of Alexandria's favorite places to stay when visiting the area. Best Regards, Steve W.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 5, 2010

My husband and I stayed here for one night. This is a great Old Town location and is walkable to many attractions. The parking garage is secure. We arrived past midnight and the man at the front desk was nice and our room was ready. The room was smallish but it is a suite. This means that there is a small living room with sofa, desk, coffee table, tv, microwave, sink and small fridge. There was also a coffee pot with Starbucks coffee. These amenities were nice. Then there was a set of French doors leading into a tiny bedroom that also had a tv. The room appeared to have recently been renovated. The bath was also nice. So while it would have been a bit cramped if we were there more than one night, the room was nice and well equipped. The glitch was that the air conditioning was not working. Checkout was easy. This wasn't the best Sheraton I've ever stayed in and it was a bit pricey compared to other hotels in the area. However, it's a nice place and in a good locale.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, October 5, 2010
I am so sorry that you were not able to stay and enjoy more of Old Town Alexandria. While it is rare to have our A/C not work we are always quick to fix any problems and thanks for letting us know of your concerns. I agree our all-suite hotel has a great Old Town location and convenient to many things from Washington DC, Historic Old Town, and Reagan National Airport. For those driving, our secure and very spacious underground garage that you can park yourself is very convenient. The suites provide more room than your average hotel and for those traveling with others having 2 TV's is a plus. We always appreciate feedback and we hope to have our guests visit us often, we depend on it! Best Regards, Steve W.
Atlanta
Reviewed August 5, 2010

Enjoyable stay here for the first time.
Spacious rooms with lounge area as well as separate sleeping area.
Friendly staff - Zack, Nida, others at the desk all helpful.
Courtesy shuttle makes it an ideal place to get to from National Airport, and a walkable distance from the Metro. Thus didn't need a car.
Included breakfast offered plenty of choices.
Downsides : Gymnasium really needs some more space - Perhaps some workout mats could be available in the pool area, along with "kettle" balls and another incline board. Two treadmills, two ellipticals, two recumbent cycles and one seat station. Out of water cups on second AM when worked out, the last cup when worked out after arriving on the first day.
Internet: Should be free / like some of the other chains.
Govt rate was $174 plus 20.05/night of taxes.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, August 10, 2010
Thanks so much for your comments about your recent visit. We want all of our guests to be completely satisfied and your feedback is very important to us. Interestingly we are looking into expanding our fitness room and we do have exercise matts and exercise balls that are even available to take to your suite for your own private workout. I agree Zach and Nida do a great job as our guest service agents and I hope that all of our guests get a chance to enjoy the area and our great location. Hope to see you again soon!

Steve W.
Stafford, Virginia, USA
Reviewed July 25, 2010

Ha! For my party and me - far from it. What bothered me most about this experience was that they charged extra for everything. I should have seen what I was in for when they charged me $22 per car to park at this place. Charging your guests to park at your hotel? Absolutely preposterous! Internet service, wifi, you had to pay for - most hotels I'm familiar with this is usually free, not at this place.

Pool and fitness centers were advertised as guests having 24 hour access. Nope, big lock on the pool when my party wanted to swim.

One of the amenities I was supposed to get and one th enjoy this breakfast, I was greeted by an employee that said - no that's $16. Since wheat I paid for when I booked this room was a COMPLIMENTARY breakfast. It was one of the amenities advertised, but yet when I woke up early ton do you pay $16 for something that was supposed to be complimentary? Going to the 'desk' did absolutely no good - the customer service at this hotel for my party and me was non-existent.

Also I found that the rooms were a lot smaller than one is led to believe, they were stuffy and less than comfortable, actually I found it to be quite uncomfortable. And the fact that I woke up itchy and had to scratch like crazy left me more than curious and upset.

This had to be the WORST hotel experience of my life. I've gotten better service and had a better night's sleep at what were considered one star hotels/motels. This particular occasion was supposed to be a get away for my birthday. Oh I got away - got away with losing a lot of money for nothing! If you like having an awful experience and feeling like you've been ripped off - by all means stay at this place - for those of you with a head on your shoulders - STAY AWAY!

I only wished that I could have indicated less than one star on this review!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank RAllen1st
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, July 27, 2010
I wanted to immediately respond to your comments about your recent stay as I am always disappointed when our hotel cannot meet the expectations of our guests and for that I am truly sorry. A good stay starts with receiving exactly what you expect in a quality hotel such as the Sheraton Suites. A clean crisp room, friendly service, and at a price that is fair. This hotel typically keeps it's rates and services lower than the competition but as an urban hotel we do charge for items such as parking, internet, and breakfast. These things are complimentary at most suburban limited service hotels and cannot be assumed to be free. Our other challenge is that we have many different packages and promotions that must be booked when they are available as well as group rates. We even take the time to email confirmation numbers that explain our services. It is always very difficult to explain to guests that we cannot offer a package or group rate after they arrive because it is no longer available and they missed a deadline.
Our fitness room is open with key access 24 hours a day and the pool is open from 10am until 10pm during the summer. The only closures to our pool occur during thunderstorms for guest safety.
As you know our rooms are all suites with a seperate bedroom and living area and they are all equipped with the famous Sweet Sleeper bed and plush white bedding that gets great reviews. Most people find our rooms very spacious and comfortable and the pictures on our web site are very accurate so guest can have a good basis of what to expect.
We really do try hard to make every guest stay a positive and memorable experience. You can be sure we will redouble our efforts and hopefully you will give us another chance. As the General Manager you can always call me directly. Best Regards, Steve W.