“Nice, and convenient”

Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria
Ranked #17 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed July 21, 2009

Stayed here in July 2009 while visiting a friend. I was a little apprehensive given some of the mixed reviews here on Tripadvisor (especially the ones saying the hotel was dirty).
Fortunately, I found the hotel to be perfectly pleasant.

The room was quite nice - it had a desk, microwave, fridge, coffee maker (with free starbucks coffee!), sleeper sofa, and two flat screen tvs. Everything was in reasonable shape and I had no issues with "cleanliness".

As others noted, the room is technically a suite in that the sleeping area is partitioned from the rest of the room, but it was really no larger than a regular hotel room. It might be useful to separate out the bedroom from sleeping kids, but don't think you can cram a large family in here because it is a "suite" - the room could not fit more than two adults and two kids.

Two tips I found:
Breakfast at the hotel restaurant was pricey; we never ate there but instead ate at the diner across the street. This diner was great; it's been around for about 100 years! (no joke!)
Second, parking in the hotel is pricey at $22/night. We opted to park on the street. There is free parking overnight from about 5pm to 8am. After that, you need to feed the meters, or, do what we did and go to the Alexandria visitors center where they will give you a free one-day parking pass!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JamClam
There are newer reviews for Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria

Reviewed July 20, 2009

Had a very enjoyable stay. Shuttle drivers Jay and Abraham were extremely hospitable, friendly, helpfull and always willing to assist. This hotel could be excellent with a liitle hospitality training for some of their other staff.

Reviewed July 12, 2009

I booked 2 rooms on Priceline, each for $60/night. If I had paid more than that the title of this review would have been much different. The front desk staff was very nice. The lobby of the hotel is very nice, but also misleading. The rooms themselves are worn out and need to be updated. The carpets are filthy. I did not realize how dirty until I noticed that my 16 month old daughters feet were black. After originally attributing it to maybe her shoes, we washed her feet and 10 mins. later they were dirty again. The beds were clean and comfortable though. They probably reserve their crappiest rooms for Priceline customers, so maybe the other rooms are much cleaner and nicer. I will never find out, however, because there is no way that I would pay more than I did to stay here.

We had dinner in the restaurant in the hotel as well. It was later and with 2 small children and a long day of driving, we did not want to venture out to find food elsewhere. Big mistake. We were, literally, the only customers in the place. Yet, we hardly ever saw our waitress and our food took 45 minutes to be served. I thought this was a tad excessive given the lack of other customers and the fact that we ordered sandwiches. When the food finally arrived, it was pretty good, but not worth the time.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
sheratonsuitesva, Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2009

Thanks very much for your comments and I am sorry that our cleaning program failed. We will go back and reinstall a full carpet shampoo for the entire building and although the rooms carpet is a little worn we will look into replacing it throughout the building. We do not set aside better rooms for guests based on the rate or method of booking and I hope you know that I am not aware of any hotels that practice this. We truly do want all of our guests to have a great experience and we will follow up on all your concerns especially why the restaurant service was so slow and unattentive. Your comments are very helpful and I hope the next visit we have a chance to serve you better. Respectfully- Steve W

Reviewed July 11, 2009

We recently stayed at this hotel and at first the room set up was very lovely. We liked the fact that there was a seperate room with french doors. However the room was not cleaned. I learned that the hotel was built in 1991 and it diffenetly had some wear and tear. The carpet was soo dirty, the furniture needed to be cleaned. The remote control was dirty. The couch was old. My mother found a stain on her bed sheets. We noticed that the bathroom needed to be cleaned. My daughter was grossed out. I can say that they came quickly to see the condition of the room. They were very polite and apologitic. I just believe the placed needs to be spruced up and it will match the beautiful lobby area.

1  Thank anniern

Thanks very much for your comments. We want all of our guests to be completely satisfied and I am sorry that our cleaning service failed. I prefer to hear of these things when guests are on the property but you can be sure we will follow up on your concerns so that others are not as disappointed as you were. Feel free to call me direct should you ever visit the area again so that I can personally see that everything is in order the way it should be. Sincerely, Steve W

Reviewed July 8, 2009

As a frequent traveler and regular customer of Sheraton I was very suprised and dissapointed with just the reservation experience I had with this hotel. Checked pricing online before calling hotel to check availability for suites. Salesperson was a little pushy making the reservation but I accept they are doing their job. However, upon receiving confirmation via email the reservation was not was we discussed. The rate offered was not what they reserved. I called immediately to correct and was connected to a customer service agent who was rude and disresctful. They were uprofessional and told me the reservation quoted was an internet rate (I booked with agent) and it was not refundable even though they did not give me the rate discussed. I told them I was going to call my credit card company and dispute the charges and they told me I can do whatever I wanted but they had enough documentation to win the dispute. I could not believe how unprofessional they were. Instead of trying to facilitate and correct a problem they took the low road and became a obstacle to resolving the issue. I stay at Starwood Hotels regularly and have NEVER had such a bad experience. The issue finally got resolved but not until I called SPG Corporate to get involved. I would never stay at this hotel. I think they need to learn what being in the hospitality business is all about. After reading this site (after the fact) I see many others have had similar experiences. Too many other options in Alexandria Old Town to be aggravated. Be careful and read your confirmation carefully. By the way, the previous reader is correct, parking is NOT included and will be an additional $18.00 per day

Stayed: July 2009
1  Thank Newman1515

Thanks so much for your feedback. This hotel participates in a central reservations system so often times we are not aware of the problems guests are having when making reservations. We also offer many different packages for guests including a nonrefundable prepay package which provides a discount for paying in advance and accepting the terms. These rates are not offered in all channels so that is why you cannot always get the same offer by calling direct.
I know this sounds confusing but there are so many ways that we have to offer our hotel to the public that sometimes it gets confusing for us too. Thanks for your patience and if you ever need help I always recommend asking for the property reservations manager or even the GM. We are glad to clear things up and see how we can make things better.
Sincerely, Steve W

Reviewed June 29, 2009

My family stayed at this hotel for a local high school sports tournament. We were part of a fairly large group, which had reserved a block of rooms. However, whenever any of our party called to reserve a room from the block, they were given the run around. They received completely different answers from every Sheraton representative --from group sales to reservations--sometimes told "yes" there were rooms, other times told the hotel was completely "sold out" and there were no rooms available (even when there WERE still rooms available in our block). Several folks in our party (including my husband), when trying to reserve a room, were actually yelled at over the phone by a Sheraton group sales representative-- that we should have reserved the rooms back in May (which we had), etc., etc. I say, if you don't want to be one of the tournament-recommended hotels, then don't offer your property for this purpose. It should not be up to the customer to figure out the hotel's reservations policies and procedures--it is up to the hotel to courteously guide the customer through the reservations process. Also, parking was $20 a day, there was a charge for internet use (who DOES that anymore?) and to get one beer in the bar was $8. Seems to me like they have more business than they need. Skip this place and stay at the Hampton Inn in Old Town Alexandria--it's nicer, has more cordial service, and is right across the street from a Metro Station.

• Stayed: June 2009
sheratonsuitesva, manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2009

Thank you very much for your comments and my apologies for the trouble. Unfortunately, we had 2 seperate lacross groups staying in the hotel with reserved room blocks and some of the team reps also held multiple rooms and filled the block to protect there space. They did not make this clear and when parents called to book they were not properly informed by the reps what they needed to do and each sales associate had to try and put the puzzle together. To make matters worse we had an entire team cancel and that opened the hotel up in the last minute. We have learned alot about how this works and will be more proactive next year. With regard to pricing, we are positioned competitively in the area even though it seems like a lot we are the only hotel with self park underground covered parking. I am sorry that the charge for beer was $8. We actually have pitchers available for just $7 and draft beer for just $4 so you must have requested one of our premium brands.
Again, I am very sorry that we could not provide the service you expect and you can be sure your comments will be a great learning lesson for us all.
Sincerely- Steve W

Reviewed June 27, 2009

This hotel is in a good location at a reasonable rate but you will be nickel and dimed TO DEATH. After repeated phone calls to the hotel with reference to our group of budget minded travellers, I was appalled to discover a $22/night parking fee. (It was never mentioned and is not on their website) The advertised refrigerator doesn't work and when I called maintence to have it repaired I was told that it was NOT a refrigerator, it was a "cooler". Rather than fix the broken refrigerators, the management has renamed them "cooler!" Clever! The bottled water in the rooms was $3.50. The "included" continental breakfast cost $12.00. The nightly room rate might initially seems like a good price but I would suggest staying elsewhere where you are not hit with endless fees and add-ons. Bring your extra cash if you are playing on staying at the Sheraton Suites in Old Town Alexandria!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family