“Great Location with Amenities to Add to your stay”

Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria
Ranked #18 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
dayton
“Great Location with Amenities to Add to your stay”
Reviewed May 22, 2014

We stayed at the Sheraton recently when we went to a graduation. We picked it for the location and shuttle service from the airport. Firstly, I can say the shuttle services were excellent and timely. From check in to check out the professionalism, yet friendly, service was excellent. We had a suite. Our bedroom area was excellent. The other room could use some updating but was clean. It was nice to have an area to sit and all of this was at a reasonable price considering the DC area. There were restaurants and a grocery nearby (there is a mini-fridge in the room). We could walk to the water. We will definitely go back and stay here again. The pool looked wonderful but unfortunately we did not have time to swim.

Room Tip: No real suggestions on selecting rooms. While we were close to the elevator, it did not seem noisy...
Green Features: There was a recycling bin in the room for papers and bottles.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Alfred M, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Good afternoon,
thank you for taking the time to rate your experience on TripAdvisor.
I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and in particular our great location with the transportation that we offer. I trust you will visit us again when your travels bring you back to Old Town Alexandria.
Alfred Matter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Arabic first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 16, 2014

It is hotels like this that make me keep within the SPG Platinum programme. All public areas of the hotel were clean, well-presented, and the staff provided a friendly welcome. There is a shuttle service to Reagan airport, which is very convenient to provide transportation to the hotel, or also access to the DC Metro via the airport. All rooms are suites, with ample amenities, and enough room to feel 'free'.

What the hotel doesn't tell you is that it is VERY close to Old Town Alexandria, and the entertainment that is there. The Potomac River is nearby, which has access to various parks, an art centre at the Old Torpedo Factory, and general areas where people come to relax. Trader Joe's is also closeby, if you would prefer to have snacks rather than eat something heavy.

Overall, I'd recommend this hotel to business and leisure travellers.

Room Tip: As for a room facing the Masonic Temple.
Green Features: There were ample recycle bins in various places in the hotel. Well done, Sheraton!!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Jason H
Alfred M, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Thank you for rating your stay on TRIPADVISOR. I was glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay and everything Old Town Alexandria has to offer.
Please come back and see us when your travels bring you back to Northern Virgina.
Fremont, Ohio
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Friendly staff w/indoor shallow pool & sun deck. Walking distance to the waterfront & a bit further to King St. to fabulous shops & restaurants! Computers available in lobby to use for free (daily charge for WiFi in rooms). Free shuttle to the airport. TVs in both bedroom & suite area along w/safe & mini refrigerator.

Room Tip: We were on the 7th floor overlooking the sun deck. Very quiet.
Green Features: Plenty of towels even though the used towels were still available to use the next day.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Alfred M, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed our hotel and all it has to offer to make a leisure stay more enjoyable.
I trust you will stay with us again when your travels bring you back to Alexandria and we are looking forward to be of service again.
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed May 13, 2014

My husband and I along with 4 other couples spent a very nice weekend at this hotel. We stayed on the 6th floor club lounge floor. The amenities on that floor was awesome! The suites were clean and well suited for us. I was especially impressed with the cleanliness of the bathroom, that's VERY important to me along with the carpets!! The hotel is located so close to everything including the water. Plenty of many quaint restaurants to walk to along with parks & other places to sit by the water. This is a great choice other than the expense to park in their lot daily. There are spots you can find to park close by.

• Stayed April 2014
Good morning,
thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on TripAdvisor. I was delighted that you and a group of friends enjoyed your stay with us; in particular our great location to stroll into Old Town Alexandria or along the Potomac River.
I trust you will stay with us again when your travels bring you back to Old Town Alexandria.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 10, 2014

Management told shuttle driver to kick our family off of the airport shuttle for a flight crew even though we were there well in advance for a first come first serve shuttle. The hotel promotes its shuttle to guests because it is inconveniently located for metro and King street shops and restaurants but the management company does not keep it staffed appropriately and won't fix the larger shuttle so it leaves guests standing. Keys don't work properly. Carpet needs replacing badly. Even with a lifeguard on duty for a 3 ft. pool, they require a parent to stand next to the pool even though a terrace with sliding doors to the pool is available and promoted as a nice way to watch kids swim while adults enjoy a drink and snack. Not so much. The staff is half able to help but clearly feels frustrated and unmotivated because of the management company policy and lack of resources. Sheraton should pull this license and start over.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank ErinS757
Alfred M, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Hello Erin,
thank you for taking the time to complete our survey. We have two hourly shuttles that go to the airport and airport metro station and 4 shuttles a day that transport airline crews. I apologize that there was some confusion, but unfortunately the airline crew van is priority for the crew and other guests if there is additional room.
One of our vehicles is having an engine replaced but the back up vehicle has only two seats fewer then the one that is in the shop.
Please accept my apologies for the confusion with the transportation and the miss understanding what our life guards can do for families.
I hope you will give us another opportunity when your travels bring you back to Northern Virginia.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed May 9, 2014

My room was clean, the staff was helpful and friendly, and there is a free shuttle to and from the airport, so this hotel covers all the basics for a business trip nearby. I also ate in the restaurant and had very good salmon. Downsides are that there is a daily charge for WiFi and the pool is only 3 feet deep and appears very murky. However, there are other fitness machines available.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Poppler-Powell
Thank you for taking the time to complete our survey. I was glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay overall. Sorry for the pool being cloudy, we have a professional service that keeps track of this and sometimes the pool gets out of chemical balance that gets corrected by the life guard immediately.
I hope we will have the pleasure to see you again in the future when your travels bring you back to Old Town Alexandria.
Carrollton, Texas
Reviewed May 3, 2014

Clean hotel, nice facilities, comfortable room etc. But this is a 'nickle and dime' business hotel, which violated two of the cardinal principals of contemporary hospitality: a charge of $6.95 per 24 hours of internet access in room (lobby free), and worse, NO free morning coffee in lobby (extra room coffee packets marked $3.00 each).

The food prices were high (luckily a grocery store was a 5 minute walk), and the 'eco- friendly' "cooler" in the room was just that...a cooler ($25.00 charge for a real refrigerator (unless needed for meds)).

Others in my meeting were staying at a Holiday Inn Express a short 4-5 minute walk up Saint Asaph St. (by the grocery store) and they were perfectly pleased there, with included breakfast, coffee, and internet, and thus missing the revenue-grab issues at the Sheraton Suites. I certainly would have moved had I not been so busy.

Sheraton Suites, I doubt I will be back.... By the way, your incremental revenue from me (food, beverage, vending, internet, etc) was zero, due to your pricing structure.

Also, you may wish to reconsider booking the NAIA Student Leadership Development Council. The teenage delegates were apparently taking sessions on Hallway Running, Door Slamming, and Room Screaming. I hope that was some good revenue for your hotel, since I heard several other disgruntled business and flight crew guests wondering how you could possibly book to this group.

Room Tip: Away from elevators, ice, and vending.
Green Features: I'm not a "greenie" and don't really care. By the way, 'eco-friendly' is just code for 'saving the hotel money.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Alfred M, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete our survey. I was sorry to learn that you found our prices excessive, we are competitive with similar hotels.
I realize that student groups sometimes are a nuisance but a necessity for most hotels. I am sorry to learn that you will probably not stay with us again, should you change your mind please contact me personally and I will look after your comfort.