“Great Location to Stay!”

Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria
Ranked #20 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Oakland, New Jersey
“Great Location to Stay!”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

My husband & I stayed the week of Easter. One great plus about the hotel is that you can bring large dogs. You are walking distance ( about 3 blocks) to the Potomac River which has a very nice park that you can sit or play with your dog. Its also connect to a trail that goes along to the river which was really nice to walk along. The hotel is in a great location. You can walk into the Town of Alexandria which is loaded with shopping & dinning. You can also walk to the Washington Monument from the hotel ( its a 6 mile walk) if you're feeling adventurous. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel was clean and spacious. It was nice to have a fridge & seating area. We stayed on the 2nd floor near the pool/ fitness area. Our room faced the inside of the building. We could slightly open the window in our bedroom. They should make a small patio outside of these window for people to sit outside and drink their coffee in the morning.

There are a few things that could be improved. Parking is $22 per day. We frequently stay at the Sheraton in Atlantic city where parking is free. I also wished they had a small continental breakfast. Not sure why they don't as other hotels ( even less expensive ones) are able to have this.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Alfred M, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.
I was delighted to learn that you enjoyed your stay overall and that you and the dogs took plenty advantage of our great location.
Parking is always an issue in urban areas and our rates are competitive with other hotels in the area. I appreciate your other suggestions but it is difficult to do renovations to add a patio to rooms .I trust you will stay with us again in the near future and on that occasion may I suggest our breakfast package that includes full breakfast and is an excellent value.
Alfred Matter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Arabic first
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Well, this is definitely one of my more "incidental" stays. Well typically my hotel stays have no incidents at all and I go along with whatever I get, almost never ask for room service...So nothing is expected to happen and nothing happens.
But at this Sheraton Suites a lot of "minor" incidents happens, which made me have a very much mixed review of it. Honestly, I can't say it's "bad". Since for all of it, there's a "bad" part and there's a good part.
Firtstly, this is almost the first time I asked to change a room in 5 years. I booked a club lounge suite, expecting a nice suite with living area, etc. What I got, however, was a "conference suite". It gives me club lounge access but A, I didn't book it and B, instead of a couch/living area, I got a huge table with six chairs. That's not a leisure traveller asks for. Considering all other club lounge suites are booked out, I had no choice but to "down grade" to a normal suite room with club lounge access -- It's voluntary and I have nothing to complain. There's basically no difference, either. It is just that, I kinda lost the "automatic" priviledge to enter the club lounge, and I had to come downstairs agian to explain that and let them add it for me. It's a little inconvinient, I must say. - 1
The club lounge itself is very crowded that day. Food trays get empty very fast and there's almost no place to seat (in the morning there literally is no place to seat...). But the watress worked very, very hard to keep the place clean and organized. +0.5

The public area of the hotel is a little worn down. Room key some times works only after a couple of tries. May be it's me...who knows...Elivators looks old, elevator buttons sometimes needs a few tries as well and I know that is not me. -1
The room itself, however, is EXTREMELY nice. It's very nicely set up and I had the advantage for a balcony view (though it's a real small balcony....). The bed is very comfortable. The living area space is ok but very well set up. All in all, it delivers as a very strong hard product, quite contrary to the worn down corridoor/elevator. +1.

I tried to get a chance to use the pool but I was so busy to work during the stay so didn't have a chance. It looked nice, though.

So, if a typical sheraton gets 4, I would rate this hotel 3.5. There is, however, another incident that probably should not be related to this review. It came into play anyways, however.
Amex has an SPG card. It works like a coperate sponsorship, and thus card holders are categorized as "SPG Prefered guest Plus". It's still in the original/basic membership tier but gets some substantial benifits, one of which is later check out if the hotel has available rooms. The hotel management, however, seems to have completely no knowledge of this and I was denied even if I showed the manager on duty what's written on SPG webiste in my membership profile. I had to call coperate services to file a complaint later on and I had to sit in another hotels lobby for an hour waiting for "early check in" to be available. It should be a productive time for me, but I was denied my given benifit.
Again, this would not be relevant with this review, but it somehow shows the management of this hotel needs improving.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Alfred M, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. Being an All Suites property there is little difference from one suite to the other. We have only two hospitality suites and I apologize that hat did not meet your needs. With Spring Break and Easter weekend we were indeed overcrowded in the Club Lounge with many families that had Club privileges.
I am sorry that last week we were not able to provide the normally quiet setting in our lounge.
I hope you will give us another opportunity when your travels bring you back to Old Town Alexandria and it won't be Spring Break at the time.
New York City
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We recently stayed at the Hotel for a weekend getaway to the DC area. Overall, it's a great hotel. Our room was a very nice, clean suite with a sitting area and the sleeping area was separated by two french doors. There was a little nook with a sink (granite counter tops) and a refrigerator which was unexpected, but very convenient. The staff was very friendly and helpful, and my 5 year old loved having the indoor pool. We were able to walk to King Street and stroll thru Old Town...and the hotel is a very quick drive to Mount Vernon...we went for an early morning tour and beat the tour bus crowds. The King Street Metro stop isn't far (but probably not walkable for most--we drove and left our car in the parking lot for the day). My only complaints would be that foot traffic in the hallways was pretty noisy in the room...(the hotel was booked full with groups of teens when we stayed). But all in all, it's a great hotel in a good location with reasonable rates.

Room Tip: If a room with a view is important, check with the Hotel before you make a reservation so that you c...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank EVArcht
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback from your recent stay. I was glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay overall and in particular our excellent staff.
Our location is indeed great for strolling to Old Town or sight seeing in Washington DC or Mt. Vernon.
April has been a very busy month for us with several school trips, Cherry Blossom Festival as well as Spring Break in different area of the country.
I hope you will visit us again in the near future and you will experience Old Town and our great hotel during a quieter time of the year.
Charlottesville, Virginia
Reviewed April 8, 2014

I struggled with the rating here. It is a good hotel for what it offers - all divided (doors separate the bedroom and living room) suite rooms at a price and location that is competitive to the area. The hotel rooms are a bit dated, but were clean, beds were comfortable, and the staff was friendly. The lobby drinks are expensive, but its a big city so to be expected. I have stayed here a few times and always treated well and would consider a 4 or 5 star rating.
...BUT...
One of the elevators was down on our recent stay (early April 2014) and the other elevator did anything but inspire confidence - it bounced as it reached the designated floor and took numerous minutes to open. An occasional elevator issue is understandable, but read through the reviews and you will see that this hotel has been having problems with the elevators since at least August, plenty of time to have it resolved. Further, when the elevators are out (or the wait long because only 1 is working in a large hotel) the stairs are virtually inaccessible. From above, you can walk down and then through the "private" staff only office section of the hotel. Unfortunately, you cannot walk up the hotel because the only stairs are behind an employee only key card door from the lobby.
What's more, as you are walking in the office section, they have the elevator certificates on display by the lobby exit door. Those showed a certificate check in March 2014, meaning the elevators were again experiencing issues within 1 month or less of being inspected. This seems like a problem that requires investing in new elevators and/or creating walk up/down stairwell access.
Once an elevator upgrade is complete and service is reliable, the hotel will deserve a 4 or 5 star rating. But when you have a 10 story hotel and only 2 elevators in the entire building which either fail or don't inspire confidence, then an average rating is not possible

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Mark T
Alfred M, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to complete a survey. I understand your concerns with the elevators, I can assure you that we have an excellent maintenance company and they are perfectly safe. As you indicated, the elevators just passed their annual inspection. Having said that we are planning an upgrade of our elevators which is a normal occurrence in any high rise building.
Unfortunately we do not have the ability to make stairs easier accessible as that is the way the building was designed.
I hope you'll continue to be a loyal guests and experience our great staff that is our best asset, please do not hesitate to reach out to me for your next visit so I can look after your comfort.
Warm regards,
Grove, Oklahoma
Reviewed March 15, 2014

Excellent staff, helpful and friendly. Clean room with great amenities. Super pool and workout facilities. Nice conference room. I just cannot say enough about how very helpful the staff was to my family when planning with sightseeing, arranging for transportation and recommending places to eat and visit. I also appreciated the free airport shuttle which had metro access.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Alfred M, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Hello Julie B,
it is always nice to hear from a fan like you!. Thank you for taking the time to give us you feedback, I will make sure to share your great comments with our staff.
I trust we will see you again when your travels bring you back to Old Town Alexandria.
Houston
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I was pleased to find this nice, updated hotel with a great location. My room, although more traffic noise than I would like, had a beautiful view of the river and was clean and comfortable. Very nice amenities, including a living room with doors, granite countertops, Starbucks coffee, a microwave. No free breakfast, however. Room service chargedme for coffee, but the front desk gave a refund. Puzzling that the "frig" was "not guaranteed cool" to save energy costs. If you are going to provide a frig, then please just leave it unplugged if you don't want to spend the money on elecrticity to run it, and let guests plug it in if they need it. All you are providing is a box with a door; not clear why. Overall, a good deal and I will stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the river
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Hello loves2garden
thank you for taking the time to get us feedback from your recent stay. I appreciate the suggestion for our refrigerators and we will try your suggestion in a few rooms and measure the feedback we get.
I am not sure everyone is as energy conscious as you are and we may get more complaints about the refrigerator not working. Maybe a friendly note inside the refrigerator will do the trick.
I hope we will see you again next time your travels bring you to Old Town Alexandria.
Regards
Milan, Illinois
Reviewed February 18, 2014

We had the need to travel to D.C. for a somber occasion. We chose the Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, based on its convenient location, proximity to King Street and the descriptive info provided. What we found was FRIENDLY, HELPFUL, COURTEOUS Staff, a lovely room (suite), a sumptuous bed, terrific shower, super underground parking, hi-speed internet & great (in room) coffee. These folks could not have been more helpful and friendly. It made for a very pleasant stay (2 nights). Quick drive (or Metro) to D.C. City-Center. Quiet neighborhood, a great Italian Restaurant 9just across the street and a neet little cafe nearby for breakfast. All-in all...our stay left no room for improvement. HIGHLY Recommended!!

Room Tip: Does not appear that there are any bad choices. We stayed on Floor 6 at the end of the hall.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank edwkiely
Alfred M, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from you last stay with us. We appreciate any comments to help us improve our service levels.
Please tell all your friends what a great find we are.
I was glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay and I hope your travels will bring you back to the Sheraton Suites Alexandria in the near future.

Respectfully yours,