“Hotel is good but the restaurant Fin and Hoof leaves a lot to be desired”

Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria
Ranked #18 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel many times and found it to be very adequate. But this time I want to review the restaurant in the hotel Fin and Hoof. Last night after a very long day I stopped in the bar and ordered a drink. When my change came there were $3 on top of the check and $3 underneath. Clearly the bartender was "suggesting" a $3 tip for a $12 drink. The change was short $1 as well. This was corrected but left me with a very negative impression.

Tonight I stopped in the restaurant at 7:30pm. Very few diners. I decided to order a bottle of wine. One glass at the table and the rest to take to the room. The menu listed the bottle @ $44 on one part of the wine list and $48 on another. The bartender who was also the server said it was an error and would charge $48. When the bottle arrived the server/bartender opened the bottle and poured without showing me the label. He served me a 2011 Malbec not the 2009 that was listed. When I called this to his attention he simply apologized but did not offer to correct it or to adjust the bill.

There are other restaurants nearby but when you are tired its nice to feel that your hotel can offer good service, honest service. Maybe this is just an honest mistake twice but being that the bartender and server are the same two days in a row it leaves me feeling ripped off.

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank CAgirlqt
Alfred M, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from you last stay with us. We appreciate any comments to help us improve our service levels.
I was sorry to learn that your experience in Fin & Hoof did not meet your expectations, I will take this opportunity to speak with the bartender and conduct additional training.
I hope you will give us another opportunity to demonstrate that your experience was the exception not the norm. Please contact me directly should your travels bring you back to Alexandria and I will personally look after your comfort.
Alfred Matter

Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

For a great place to stay, short shuttle ride from DCA, this place offers many amenities. They have a great staff, friendly and accommodating. I stay here around 10-15 times a year. There are many great restaurants and bars within walking distance. Shopping as well. Concierge lounge is average with Sheraton properties but once again, courteous staff! Plenty to see and do and old town is great on the weekends!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

I apologize for the Club Experience not being up to par, we cut our staffing a bit too much during the holiday season and did not provide our usual high experience level.
I was glad to learn that you enjoyed your stay and I hope your travels will bring you back to the Sheraton Suites Alexandria in the near future.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

We have been traveling with 6-8 couples the last 5 years to celebrate New Years Eve in Alexandria, VA. This year we chose to stay at the Sheraton Suites in Old Town. Reservations were made 5 months ago with everyone being on the same floor and adjacent to each other. On arrival the pricing was different for each room. We were on different floors. A buffet was to be available for breakfast. It wasn't. We ordered off the menu and half the items weren't available. Very disturbing start. We were to have our New Year's Eve dinner in the dining room. They were able to place us in a private room and the food was very good and served promptly. Seemed like a recent change in management needs to be revisited. Change might still be needed again ! Still awaiting a response from corporate.

Room Tip: All the rooms seemed very nice and spacious. Quite as well with being a mile from Reagan National Ai...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MarkandJanetG
Alfred M, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2014

We try to honor all preferences for room locations and types, but unfortunately for New Years Eve we had so many special requests that we could not accomodate all of them. The only way that a group of friends will have the same rate is if it is booked as a group, same as airlines, our rates change by the minute.
I aologize that we could not meet all of your expectations and I hope you'll give us another opportunity to be of service when your travels bring you back to Alexandria.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

The Sheraton Suites in Old Town Alexandria, VA provides a great stay near Old Town. It's only a block from the Potomac. The public park along the Potomac was a convenient place to get a great run in everyday. You can walk or take the free shuttle to Old Town. Lincoln Center and DC is a short cab ride away. Make sure you eat next door at the Royal Restaurant.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the Potomac.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank pridged
Alfred M, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Reviewed December 29, 2013

This is a great place to stay on a work trip. It's convenient to Reagan and a few stores for whatever you forgot to pack. It's not a bad walk to King Street but still a quiet neighborhood with street parking available, if you don't want to pay the hotel's valet rate. The suites are comfortable and nicely laid out, and the staff have always been friendly and helpful.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank AirportLoungeLover
Alfred M, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded December 31, 2013

Reviewed November 26, 2013

This hotel is a great find near many attractions in Old Town Alexandria, a suburb of Washington, DC. Not only is the price most affordable, but the suite was really nice and well laid out. The staff was polite and efficient and the room was immaculately clean. The hotel is well situated for many of the tourist and shopping venues and an easy taxi ride to some of the ones a bit farther than walking distance. I would not hesitate to stay again for business or just a romantic get-away.

Room Tip: A Starwood system hotel if you are a frequent flyer. This helps get a higher floor room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Alfred M, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

Good morning,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback from you last stay with us and to rate us on Tripadvisor. We appreciate any comments to help us improve our service levels.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Had our last 3 nights of our 3 week holiday to the States. It was such a comfortable and well appointed hotel, a comfortable 10 minute stroll through a nice residential area or along the river front to King Street where the majority of good restaurants are situated. Friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Alfred M, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Good morning,