All reviewsfrench doorsthe club loungeharris teeterking streetold townroyal restauranttrader joesbraddock roadacross the streetfront desk staffairport shuttlenice suiteliving roomsuite hotelpool and hot tubstreet parkingshuttle service
Reviewed July 21, 2012

This hotel is pretty standard for the Sheraton Suites Hotels.

Although they have signs up in the hotel stating that they want to “earn a 10” in satisfaction from their guests, they have a ways to go. My stay was satisfactory, but there are many excellent Starwood properties in the greater DC area. Here is my assessment of the positives and areas for improvement:

Positive
• Front Desk Staff – Very good service. They seemed genuinely interested in assisting me at check-in. First impressions are important.
• The Airport Shuttle – The hotel is close to Washington National Airport. The free shuttle is an attractive reason to stay at this property.
• Rooms – Looks like they were re-decorated in the last 5 or 6 years. It is starting to look dated.
• Microwaves and refrigerators in the rooms.

Areas for Improvement
• Beds – The mattresses are not up to the normal Sheraton standards. Time to replace those.
• Towels – These are the type of small … thin towels you expect to find in discount hotels.
• Club Room – The food in the club room was minimal and not very appealing. I noticed that room was not staffed so there was no one to ask where the hidden flatware was being stashed.

Would I stay at this hotel again? Yes, but I have now calibrated my expectations for my stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ServiceMatters86
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2012

Thanks so much for your comments as we always appreciate good feedback and we always are striving for improvement. I want to apologize that we did not meet the standards you are accustomed to. While the Sheraton Suite Sleeper bed is the most comfortable bed on the market not everyone prefers them and we appreciated your feedback. The towels are of the 300 threadcount variety but we will make sure the quality is maintained and any over washed towels are discarded. As for our club, we have set hours for service and you may have missed the evening hours when everything is stocked. We will adjust our signage. Again, thanks so much for your comments and we hope to have you visit again so that we can demonstrate our commitment to your comfort!

Reviewed July 14, 2012

Extended our 4th of July vacation for one day and stayed here, wish we had stayed longer. The gentleman who picked us up at the airport was very helpful and informative. After we checked in the same gentleman drove us to Old Town. It was extremely hot out and he brought us each a cold bottle of water, gave us his card and said to call whenever we wanted to be picked up. Totally unexpected and much appreciated. Next time we come to the area, we're staying here the entire time.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Cmore50
Management response:Responded July 16, 2012

Thanks so much for your comments and glad to be of service. The best part about being on the Sheraton Team is the great people that truly care about our guests. I am glad you had a nice visit and hope to see you back!

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Stayed in this hotel off and on between January and April 2012 and some other times before. Great location just south of DCA and convenient access to GW Parkway, Route 1 and the beltway. Rooms are clean and spacious. Getting a bit dated looking, but the sweet sleeper bed is still amazing. The Internet speeds aren't anything to call home about - incredibly slow, but maybe not as slow as the Westin down the road. Street parking is readily available in the evenings for free for those who'd rather not pay for hotel parking. Breakfast in the lounge is sparse but typical in the US (I've been spoiled living and traveling in Asia). It's nice to be able to access the lounge for a snack or a drink in the evening time. The green choice program here is nice as well--a quick way to accumulate some points if you don't want room service for the day. What looks like a refrigerator in the rooms is actually just a glorified cooler. Had an actual fridge brought up to me one time but the knob to control the cool was missing...didn't think anything of it and put my drinks in - had some amazing exploded/near exploded cans in there the next day! Anyway housekeeping found the knob and brought it up. Housekeeping staff is great. Breakfast downstairs in the restaurant is good as well. Being a pet friendly hotel, there was a distinct dog smell in the elevator at times...or it could've been someone's body odor... BGR is a burger joint about 10 minutes down the road from the hotel. Trader Joes is nearby as well. If it's your first time here see if you can get a room that faces the Masonic temple - the sunrise is beautiful with that temple in the scene!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank bevmark
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Thanks so much for your comments and for staying with us for your trips to Alexandria. Since your last visit we have replaced all the carpet in the guest rooms and for the most part the hotel is in excellent updated shape. I am sorry about the refrigerator but I am glad they got it fixed during your stay. Spacious suites, central location, and great service is what our guests expect. I am glad you had a great experience and look forward to having you back again.

Reviewed July 8, 2012

My daughters and I were in DC while my eldest teenage daughter attended a conference. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. The rooms were incredibly clean and spacious, the housekeeping staff is amazing! Everyone, especially Max at the front desk, Charlie in the restaurant and Modesto the shuttle driver were all so incredibly helpful and accommodating. I am so pleased, we are absolutely coming back. Thank you!

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Jennifer A
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Thanks so much for your comments and for sharing your experience. We are truly very lucky to have such a great hotel and staff. Please do come again soon and feel free to call me direct so that I can say hello.

Have a great summer,

Reviewed July 2, 2012

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel June 7-10, 2012, as part of a group of about 47. We were visiting DC for the Girl Scouts Rock the Mall event, so we were in a large group of people. We checked in on the evening of the 7th and our room was ready. We found the room plenty big for the 2 of us and rather unique in the set up, but we liked it. Housekeeping was good, room was clean and had 2 TV's. The bed was very comfortable and hotel looked well maintained. The continental breakfast was some what limited to coffee, juice, cereal, fruit and granola bars (no hot food unless you paid extra, so some of our larger party was disappointed). The hotel is several blocks from Old Town, but it was walking distance to shopping and many restaurants, and several blocks from a Metro stop, so the location is VERY good. We did not use the shuttle, it may have not been offered due to us being part of a tour group, but overrall our experience was very good.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank pbryan1
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Thanks so much for your comments. The Rock the Mall was a great event and the hotel had over 650 people here just for that. The group terms and offerings were pre arranged so we made sure that for anyone that wanted additional breakfast items could have that option. I am glad you had a nice visit and hope should your travels bring you back to our area that you will think of us first. Again, thanks for your comments and we hope to see you soon.

Warm Regards,