“great spacious rooms, perfect for a family, excellent location”

Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria
Ranked #17 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Parma, Ohio, United States
“great spacious rooms, perfect for a family, excellent location”
Reviewed June 1, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. The rooms are very nice, a bit out dated, but clean. I only had 2 issues 1) checking in and 2) the refrigerator. I had reserved a crib with my reservation for my 14 month old, so I did not bring a pack-and-play because I was told the crib would be set up in the room when we arrived. When I checked in at the front desk I was told they were out of cribs! I found this unacceptable since I requested and reserved it with my room which I explained to the front desk. The woman at the desk was nice but did not do much to rectify the situation, she recommended I purchase a pack-and-play. Umm... don't think so. She gave me a few different stories that didn't make sense as to why we didn't have a crib. I would have felt better if she would have just admitted it was their mistake for not checking the reservations before they passed out the cribs. So, while walking to our room I saw a crib in the hallway and called the front desk to see if I could have it. The cleaning staff sanitized it and brought it to our room. So, in the end it all worked out. However I am not sure that would have been the case if I did not take it upon myself to hijack the crib.

The refrigerator. So, your room is equipped with a fridge, however it keeps your items cool, not cold (as it is labeled). If you want a fridge you can call the front desk but they will charge you $25. The charge isn't awful, but the fridge that is in the room is pointless. They should just save on the electricity all together and not even include it.

The room was perfect for a 13 month old. Since there is the extra living room space she had plenty of room to run around and explore. Even with the crib we had plenty of room to play, even though we didn't spend much time in the room, the time we did spend was very comfortable.

The location of the hotel was perfect for us. We don't mind walking to places, we actually prefer it. So the 10-15 minute walk to King Street was great. The neighborhood is safe and clean. The scenery is beautiful. We also walked to the Metro, which was a bit further (maybe 20-25 minutes), but again we like the walk.

So, overall we were very pleased with the hotel and the location.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Thanks so much for your comments and feedback. I am glad to see you appreciated the value, location and spacious suites that we have here in Old Town which is perfect for families and business travelers alike. Our rooms have recently been entirely redone with new carpet, marble bathrooms with granite vanites, new sofas and a fluffy white bedding package that makes you feel you are sleeping on air. The use of earthtones may seem to make guests feel the color package is dated but others like the relaxing feel you get with a simple palate. The green coolers are not ideal for some but our dedication to reducing our carbon footprint requires this. The ice machines are always available and we can provide the refrigerators for a nominal fee.
As a family man myself I understand how important having a crib in your room and ready when you arrive is, and we truly try to satisy all of our guests. Unfortunately, we try to accommodate everyone even when we are not given any warning and this particular weekend was no exception. In fact we went out and bought 3 new ones that evening because of this and we are committed to making sure our guests are taken care of even when we are not notified in advance.
I am glad things worked out and again thank you so much for sharing your experience.

Steve W.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Arabic first
Massachusetts
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We got this hotel for one night after a flight cancellation. Very nice and welcoming. Exactly what I needed under the circumstances. The front desk knew exactly what do and say to calm down the stranded passengers.

Rooms were nice, good comfort, spacious and needed amenities for business travelers.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
A big thank you for your comments. Being close to the airport we have become famous for helping out stranded travelers. After a challenging day at the airport dealing with delays and disappointment we know when you get to our hotel you want to have an oasis of comfort. Again, thanks so much for sharing and hopefully your next visit will be one that you can enjoy Old Town Alexandria and all we have to offer.

Most Sincerely,

Washington, DC
Reviewed May 26, 2012

I am local to Alexandria where this hotel is located but I stay here for in town getaways, have held business meetings here and always book a room for my family and friends when they visit. Everyone always loves the 2 room suites which provide so much extra space. The shuttle is convenient but its also only 6-8 blocks to King Street, which is not bad through the historic neighborhood. I have read some other reviews about the breakfast being pricey, and that's true, but such is the case with most any other room service breakfast I've ever ordered. But the food is great--I've had breakfast, lunch, dinner, drinks and private events here and its always been met with rave reviews. Anyone who's ever stayed in a $300/night hotel in downtown DC with $45/night parking will absolutely appreciate a property like this one. I am very loyal to this hotel because of the great service, spacious rooms and friendly staff. (PS its true what they say about the beds...like sleeping on a cloud).

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thanks so much for your comments and a great big thank you for your loyalty. We believe our success is having great partnerships that endure for the longterm with our local customers. I cannot be happier than to see your feedback and hope you will reach out to me directly if I can ever be of service.

Warm Regards,

Atlantic Beach, Florida
Reviewed May 12, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 6 days while we toured DC. We were extremely pleased with the service we received. First the Pros:
It is a great location if you are on business or leisure. It's in a nice safe quiet neighborhood where we can feel comfortable getting out and walking. We ate all most all of our breakfasts at the Royal Restaurant which was right across the street except one breakfast we had in the hotel just to check it out. The same breakfast was half the price at the Royal so that was where we went every morning before we headed out. We didn't have a car so we used the hotel shuttle every day to take us either to the airport to catch the Metro or to Braddock. Braddock was closer and easier but if they had people to take to the airport we caught the metro at the airport. We rode the Metro back to King street if it was late afternoon, caught the king street trollley to a restaurant and then called the hotel to pick us up at the end of King Street. Be sure to have the phone number for the hotel with you before you venture out. They were nice enough to waive the internet fee because we were gold members and I thought I had read on the website that they provided bathrobes so I didn't pack one and when I called them about that, they were kind enough to bring us 2 bathrobes very quickly. We also needed more towels in the room and they brought them to us very promptly. The service was incredible. We tried TJ Stones for dinner and another nearby restaurant on the nights that we were too tired to go to King St and we were happy with both of them. The pool is a lap pool which some people like but a little shallow for water aerobics which I like to do. The hot tub was very nice. There were only a couple of things that we would've changed. The mini refrigerator in the room only cools to 40 degrees supposedly but when we put our drinks in there, it didn't seem to get even that cold. Why bother even having one? They do have an ice machine on the floor but a little freezer would've been nice to freeze our ice packs which we needed after walking all over DC during the day. The pool was very cloudy while we were there for some reason.The breakfast in the restaurant was rather expensive. Seems like they would lower the prices so they could keep the business from going across the street. We had a balcony room overlooking the construction so the balcony was useless for us. We could've used a little more draw space for our clothes since we were staying 6 nights but we managed. Overall, we were very pleased so I'm giving it a 5.

Room Tip: You might want to ask for a room away from the construction. The noise didn't bother us because...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank beachlady_8
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, May 14, 2012
Thanks so much for taking the time to write in detail about your visit. While we like the Royal Diner too you have to keep in mind that it is an older diner which for some is not the kind of experience they are looking for. As for the green cooler's you are right they are not designed as refrigerators but a green alternative which keeps cold food cold but does not make room temperature items colder. We do have standard refrigerators available on request and the ice machines are always an option as well. The pool should always be crystal clear but sometimes between treatments it gets cloudy while the filter is running. You can be sure we have strict guidelines that we follow and pass routinely with our inspectors.
I am glad to hear the staff was accommodating as they are always empowered to make sure all of our guests receive everything they expect and more. Please do stay with us again and thanks for spreading the word about your visit.

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 12, 2012

The suites are very nice as is the service. The hot water is gone pretty early..as early as 7:15, then only luke warm. The elevators are sad..very unreliable. Metro is a long walk away and should not be walked after dark. Hotel shuttle is quick and DCA is close.

Room Tip: buffet full price, but service is only ok.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Thanks so much for your feedback. I was not aware of the water problems or the challenges with the elevator you had but let me assure you this is not what our standards allow. A good stary starts with receiving everything you expect and hot water and properly functioning elevators are basic for a good stay. You can be sure I will be reviewing our systems to make sure everything is in good working order. The walk to the metro is only 8-10 minutes and the area is well lit. Nevertheless safety is always a concern no matter where you are although we have not had any crime reported. Please do stay with us again so that we can demonstrate our commitment to your comfort.

Best Regards,

San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Sheraton Suites Old Town is in the best location! 6 minutes or a $10 cab ride from the airport (DCA) This is a great launch off point, you can experience all of the great things Old Town Alexandria has to offer, buzz downtown in a cab in less than 12 minutes to check out the Washington Monument or the Lincoln Memorial, venture out to the biking trails that run along the Potomac, or in my case as a central location for business meetings in downtown DC or in the burbs.

Typical Clean hotel, all of the rooms have ample space, what I expect from a Starwood property. Little older but everything is very kept up! There is a bar and restaurant on the property. I always suggest getting out of the hotel though!

Literally a block from the hotel is TJ Stone's. Insane beer selection. Awesome food. Karen is a great bartender there.

Rates at this hotel are always some of the lowest for this star rating.

You can't miss staying here!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank LostEdge
Thanks, you just about said it all. Great value, convenience and comfort. Please come back soon and next time take a chance on our restaurant. You won't be disappointed!

Alexandria VA
Reviewed May 10, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights while my apartment in Alexandria was being prepared for my move in. I booked the hotel through Priceline to try to save some money as Alexandria/Arlington is expensive during the week. It was a smart decision on my part and I recommend doing so. The hotel was extremely nice, upscale like the rest of Old Town Alexandria chain hotels. It is a little further away than the Marriott and Westin, but the shuttle takes you anywhere you want to go. Parking though is 25 dollars per night and if you push back, they will offer parking for 18 per night, which I did. There is a supermarket right next door so if you are staying for an extended time, you can grab some items to stock in the room. There are a lot of restaurants (Italian, pizza, Chinese) within 1 block of the hotel. The staff at check in was VERY nice and called to make sure the room was ok. The room itself was comfortable, though the bathroom was tiny with a small sink area. Bed was very comfortable. There was construction going on right next door so if you stay during the week, expect to hear jackhammers at 8am if you want to sleep in. This hotel would make for a great "in-town" weekend getaway spot if you can get a great rate. I would recommend it for family members coming to visit us.

Room Tip: any room would be good, but if you have a lot of luggage, ask for a room near the elevator as you ma...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Lisa B
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Thanks so much for your feedback, I am glad you had a nice visit and the staff looked after you. We are very excited about the development next door but rest assured the noise is not overwhelming and similar to what the sounds of downtown DC brings. The project will add a new Harris Teeter Grocery store and we will also be getting a bike share depot which our guests will be able to take advantage of. We recommend when booking to use our web site to get the best rate guarantee and terms but you can also find us on 3rd party sites. While our parking may seem expensive we are less than other hotels in the area and in DC. The secure underground self parking is very convenient and one of the best kept garages you will find. Nevertheless street parking can be found for those looking.

Thanks again for your comments and we hope to see you again very soon as always.

Best Regards,