“Nice Location”

Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria
Ranked #17 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed July 3, 2011

This hotel is just 6 blocks from all the exciting places on King Street and from the metro. We had no trouble walking to King Street or the metro. The hotel does offer a shuttle to the airport and King Street but we found it to be inconsistent even based on its published schedule. The staff was very nice and helpful and the rooms were spacious and clean. The hotel charges for in-room internet access which is a little unusual in 2011.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2011

Location Location Location. Thanks for your comments. You are right, we are convenient for those comfortable walking a few blocks but for some a shuttle is a must. We do our best to offer complimentary shuttle service but sometimes the demand is very high. We hope those guests understand that we are happy to help but taxi's are always an option and easily called. Again, thanks for your comments and please do visit again!

See you soon!

Reviewed July 2, 2011

This is a great hotel for sightseeing in DC with families. Here are the main reasons to stay here: (1) The suites. Everyone who's traveled with small children and found themselves creeping around a dark hotel room at 9 pm, trying to entertain themselves without making any noise or turning on a light, so as not to wake up the kids, will appreciate having a separate room from the bedroom. The bedroom has curtained double doors that close, leaving a sitting area with a desk, couch and chair, where you can read, watch tv, etc. after the kids go to bed. (2) The prices are quite reasonable compared to a hotel downtown. (3) The location - while not walking distance to any real sightseeing, the hotel is actually a short and easy drive to the Mall, all the monuments, the museums, etc. We had a car and drove, but the hotel has a shuttle that will drop you at the Metro station. The hotel is also very close to Reagan airport. The hotel is walking distance to King Street, the main street in Old Town Alexandria. Old Town is extremely charming, with tons of shops and restaurants; many restaurants are kid-friendly, and there are ice cream shops, etc. as well. The shopping is great, too, if you get a break from the kids! (4) Quiet rooms and comfortable beds. The hotel has thick walls; it was completely quiet in our room every night, and we were relatively close to the elevator.
The hotel is not particularly special with its lobby area or decor, just standard issue hotel decor, and we didn't try the restaurant. Parking is not free but is very convenient, in a garage with an elevator into the hotel. There is a small fitness room and an indoor pool, but we didn't use either.
All in all, this is a good choice for taking in the sights of DC with children.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family

Thank you very much. I could not have said it any better. We hope to see you again soon.

Best Regards,

Reviewed July 2, 2011

We had a very nice 2 room suite....Very comfortable. No noise. Everything went well. Had a free computer..Took a little time to get through. Would stay here again. Next door, excellent restaurant for breakfast, The Royal, Only difficult thing $22 to park your car daily. Restaurants in Alexandria, were excellent. The hotel had a free service of a shuttle to the Metro that goes to Washington D.C. all through the day. Went to see Mt. Vernon, near by...Waste of time. Every student in America was there the day we visited....

Room Tip: I always ask for a upper floor room.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo

Thanks so much for your comments. We are glad you had a great visit and hope you visit again!

Warm Regards,

Reviewed June 29, 2011

I made the mistake of reserving a room at this hotel in April. My kids have specific dietary needs, so I booked this hotel, as they advertised a refrigerator in the room. On arrival, there was an appliance in the room, with a sign noting, "This is a refrigerated cooler...If you need a refrigerator, contact the front desk." I called the front desk, and was told a refrigerator would cost $25 a night. I was told that the cooler in the room would keep cold foods cool, but the hotel was not responsible for spoiled items. When I stated that my reservation stated, "Refrigerator included," they ignored me. I went down to the front desk, and was agian told that I would be charged $25 a night. I had my printed reservation with the refrigerator advertised, but to no avail. They did send an engineer to the room, who told me that the cooler was working, but food would go bad if left in it. On my 2nd trip to the front desk, they relented, and begrudgingly gave me the refrigerator. This process took over an hour. Rude and non-responsive people at the front desk.
Website does state, "Internet for a fee." It does not state, "Refrigerator for a fee." I couldn't leave the hotel, as I had prepaid 2 nights. Charging for an included item is a bait-and-switch. That is, it is FRAUDULENT, illegal, and unethical.
It gets worse. Wireless internet didn't work. Went to front desk, and was told, "Here's the number for our vendor. If you have a problem, call them!" At least I didn't get charged for my non-working internet, but had to go elsewhere to get work done.
I've already filed a clain with the Better Business Bureau. Response from the hotel? "We already apologized." No, they didn't. They sent me an e-mail stating that their new "green policy" is to charge guests $25 a night for a hotel. In other words, they ignored their own website, and stated that their new "green policy" allows them to rip off their guests. After I responded that I did not receive an apology, and their website has not changed to reflect "Refrigerator for a fee," I received another response that stated, "We have nothing left to say," from Steve W., the general manager...who seems to respond to (but ignore the concerns) of all the negative reviews on TripAdvisor.
Room was OK, and location was very good. But, the entire experience was the worst I've ever received.

Room Tip: If you need a refrigerator, do not stay here!!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
11  Thank DocNiel
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2011

Sometimes an apology is not enough and while our intent is to make things right we certainly by no means meant to mislead you or any of our guests. Our refrigerated cooler is a "green refrigerator" and is perfectly satisfactory for 90% of the needs of guests. It just did not make sense to have 250 operating refrigerators that get little use increasing our carbon footprint. Our internet is like most internet service and some computers are not easily compatible which is why we recommend a helpdesk. Regardless, we want our guests to be happy and I am sorry I let you down. You can be sure we will learn from this experience and be better prepared in the future. Thanks so much for reminding us.

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed June 29, 2011

My wife , daughter, and I stayed here on a "park and fly" package on June 17th before cruising out of Tampa and could not have been happier with the hotel. It was easy to find, located within walking distance of the Old Town section of Alexandria, and only a five-minute free shuttle ride to Reagan.
Our suite was very spacious and comfortable and clean - everything you could ask for in a hotel. The parking garage was a real plus since we left our car there while we were on the cruise and the staff was very helpful and courteous at all times.
All and all a great place to stay if you're traveling out of Reagan or visiting the D.C. area and we will stay there again in the future.

Reviewed June 28, 2011

I stayed at this hotel in June 2011 and had a great experience here. My wife and children were extremely comfortable and the service was great. I originally booked this through Travelocity and had an issue I could not correct through them. When I called the hotel, the general manager, Steve W. was not only super responsive, but corrected the issue and made things right. I would highly recommend this hotel if you are staying or planning a visit in the D.C. area. The rooms are much more conducive to families and were clean and neat. The next time I'm in D.C. I will stay here again.

Reviewed June 22, 2011

We stayed here June 17-20, 2011. We had a graduation to attend at Gaylord Convention Center so this hotel was very convenient to everything we wanted to do, including the airport, the Metro, downtown DC, and Old Town Alexandria. They have a free shuttle that took us to King St. and the Metro, and the Airport. All of the staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were very nice and very clean. I liked the idea that you separate the bedroom from the living room area with French doors. There’s a free coffee maker, iron and board, and hairdryer in the rooms. No free Internet in the rooms but I didn’t find that to be a problem if you have work to do on the Internet then this may pose a problem. They have free internet downstairs in the lobby. Some of the furniture in the room (the coffee table) was a little worn but nothing we found to be unacceptable. We had drinks at the bar and ate breakfast buffet in the restaurant, the buffet was decent, $15 per person is not unheard of in my experiences. A couple of times during the night very loud talking people could be heard out in the hallways but nothing I haven't experienced at other hotels. They have an indoor pool and hot tub that we used the first night we were there, both the pool and hot tub were in good condition and very clean. I will look to stay here again on my next trip to DC.

Room Tip: signed up for rewards program and got an upgrade.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
sheratonsuitesva, General Manager at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2011

Another nice comment about the Sheraton Suites. We are very fortunate to have such a nice facility and will continue to work hard to offer friendly service and quality products. We hope to see you back soon! Regards, Steve W.