“Not Bad at All, Took My Pets and had Many Very Helpful Amenities”

Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria
Ranked #32 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Alexandria, Virginia
“Not Bad at All, Took My Pets and had Many Very Helpful Amenities”
Reviewed April 7, 2010

I was displaced from my home due to a flood and so had to find a place to stay for 11 nights. Although the neighborhood that this hotel is in has traditionally been a little shaky, it is looking up and this Red Roof is getting two new very nice suites hotels as neighbors. The hotel is on a major street but I asked for a room in the back which faced a woodland and 3 million dollar mansions.

My room was quiet, the other guests were friendly as were the hotel staff. The hotel was recently renovated and has clean and nice looking rooms. What was great was the refridgerator, safe, microwave and coin-operated laundry. The laundry-room and ice-vending machine were a little grungy, hopefully this will be fixed.

I needed to bring my two cats with me and this hotel obliged with no extra fee. I put a sign on the door to let the staff know I did not want the door opened without me there and they did not open the doors.

There is limited free internet but no free WiFi. I think that may be changing but I would inquire. Overall, it was a good stay at a very reasonable rate.

• Stayed March 2010
1 Thank eggmanten

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Arabic first
Miramar Fl
Reviewed March 22, 2010

Recently I stayed in the Red Roof in Alexandria and had a very nice experience, the staff was corteous and very helpful, stayed for 4 nights and had the pleasure of finding a clean and confortable room and staff that helped me in finding my way around, I definitly will be staying with them in my upcoming trips to DC

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank tata000
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Reviewed March 22, 2010

Clean, friendly, basic but nice; close to the Washington DC subway which makes it very easy for the appts. I'll be back!!!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Bucarica48
Virginia
Reviewed December 11, 2009

I am a regular guest at this property and one of the reasons that this is the only hotel in which I'll stay when in the area is the warm friendly staff that always greets you with a warm welcoming sincereity that says they're really happy to see you. The room is always very clean and comfortable. I truly find this to be my home away from home.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank SRhome
New Jersey
Reviewed September 4, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Alexandria, VA Red Roof for two nights in April 2009, and our stay evolved into a nightmare. My wife had about a dozen bites over her body the first day. We couldn't figure it out. It was too early in the year for insects. The next day she had even more.

It was only on our four hour drive home that it occurred to both of us that it must have been bedbugs. We had never experienced bedbugs before.

We stripped in our home entryway and put all clothes in the wash. We sprayed our bags. We thought we were safe, but in late June we realized we had a problem. We called in an exterminator. Bedbugs! If you've ever fought bedbugs, it's an expensive, time consuming and stressful situation.

We emailed Red Roof both locally and nationally. We got no response to either email.

We have stayed at the Alexandria Red Roof at least a dozen times over the last ten years. (It is convenient to the Metro). I have been a Red Roof customer, using them for business accomodations over the last twenty-five years.

However, Red Roof has changed. The chain has been sold a number of times in recent years and it shows. I will never again stay at the Alexandria location (reading other reviews, they often seem to have problems with bugs) and I'll be very careful about which other Red Roof locations I use.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank wjbnj
alexandria, VA
Reviewed June 8, 2009

From the Outside the hotel looks alright, not horrible, not fancy. The inside of the room is freakin disgusting. Don't Get Me started on The TERMITES just yet. there was some kind of faded stain on one of the sheets, then i went to use the bathroom and barely used any toilet paper and the toilet got stopped up, went downstairs to get the plunger, plunged the damn toilet a zillion times and nothing happened. Then I Moved to another room a couple doors down. This room had TERMITES, all over the desk, by the dresser!!!! IT WAS DISGUSTING. I Killed three of them, then seen two more on the wall by the bathroom and called the front desk. By this time it was late in the evening and i just wanted a refund, guy at the front desk said he was new and didn't know how to do that. [--]!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
philadelphia
Reviewed April 11, 2009

website claimed that this inn had been remodeled last year, maybe they got new sheets.
mold around bathtub,cramped room, had to pay for Internet service. Fire alarm in the middle of the night. Had to wait for manager to come and turn it off-this took 2 hours. Left shortly after.
I found a Quality Inn about 10 min. away at Mt. Vernen. They let us check in at 8:00a.m.
I could not get over their kindness. The rooms were so much nicer,cleaner,safer.
And a little cheaper.