“not so good”

Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria
Ranked #33 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed October 27, 2008

do not stay...the noise level was terrible outside ALL NIGHT ACTIVITIES...and the room was stuffy and did not smell like a non-smoking room. The toilet was clogged and overflowed! We left one day early to find another place to stay....

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank laurie10

Reviewed August 16, 2008

We had a basic, though smallish room with a king bed which had recently been renovated (meaning fresh paint, new cabinetry, and bathroom countertop). Decent for $79 per night and that close to DC. Room was clean and well maintained.

For that price range I don't expect much more than safe, clean, and well-located, accommodations. One good thing, is that the hotel (and most other Red Roof Inns) is pet-friendly and does not require any extra fee or deposit to have your pet in your room, so if you are traveling with your dog, its a good choice.

If you stay here, you MUST have a car, since there is virtually nothing within walking distance.

• Stayed: August 2008
Reviewed June 6, 2008

This location was so-so and wouldn't be at the top of my list. The man behind the counter was nice and was willing to work with me by giving me a discount on top of my already discounted rate when I reserved a non-smoking room only to find out he had none left. I then went to my room after he told me it 'shouldn't smell too bad'..He was right, it wasn't unbearable, but I had no electricity in the room upon entering. Since I had arrived at night, this was a bit unsettling. Once again, he checked the maintenance area and took care of the problem. Apparently storms in the area had cut the power to some of the rooms. There were some shady people hanging out in front of their rooms drinking when we got into our rooms, so between our room not having lights and being late at night, I just wanted to get into the room and lock the door! Once we finally got settled in, it wasn't too bad. quieter than I expected given the drinkers outside. The room was clean and roomy, but there was the slight scent of cigarette smoke!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 2, 2008

I stayed at the Red Roof Inn in Alexandria, Virginia while attending two living history programs in the area; one at Fort Ward Museum and Historic Site and the other at Fort Washington National Historical Park this past weekend, May 31-June 1, 2008.

I encountered some problems. One when I pulled down the bedsheets, I noticed what looked like a "wet spot" stain on the bottom sheet, poked at it with a piece of tissue paper and then put a towel over it and went to sleep. It was too late in the evening for me to change rooms (if that would have been allowed by the hotel staff and even if that had occured, the hotel seemed to be full, so it may not have been possible).

The next morning, I went to get my re enactor shirt and some other items laundred in the hotels coin operated self service washer and dryer. As I was loading my items into the washer, I noticed ants coming from underneath the washer / dryer area. Some were the normal ants and some had wings on them but mostly crawled around the ground but did some flying. Gross, I thought. I don't want to get any sort of infestation here to be brought back home with me and then cause a problem in my house. But I was short on time and had no choice but to go through with the laundry in that room. When I walked out after the laundry was done, I noticed more ants coming out of the wall near the door.

Eariler reviews said that there were no places to eat within walking distance, well, sort of. There is a Five Guys burger restuarant about a ten or fifteen minute walk south on Richmond Highway (Route 1). About the same distance north is a Great American Steak and Buffet restuarant. I ate there on Sunday for breakfast, remarkable food. If you have a car, the "hoighty-twoidy" restuarants in Old Town Alexandria are to the north and the national and regional chain restuarants are to south on Route 1, Richmond Highway.

If you need access to the Metro subway system, ask the hotel staff where the nearest Rex Line bus stop is. That' s the Richmond Highway express bus line that will take you to the Huntingdown metro station. Once you are on the Metro, the Washington, DC area is open to you.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled solo
2  Thank HFC
Reviewed November 3, 2007

A very decent place to stay. If you have a car, stop reading.

I just wanted food! A restaurant! Maybe a liquor store! NOTHING within walking distance. I ended up ordering Domino's pizza just to eat.

As far as the room goes, it was fine, clean, inexpensive. Have no worries.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed April 21, 2007

This hotel was okay. The location is great as far as convenience, but there is a busy highway right out front. I think it's good for those who like motor hotels, but I don't. I give it 3 stars. The place was clean and everything, but the room was small and the bed was kinda hard. I think there are better places for the money, but maybe not in such a good location!

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed April 16, 2007

Check in was quick and easy. When in the room within the 1st 5 minutes, noticed bed linens had hairs on them. Front desk was notified, quickly gave us another room and sincerely apologized. The next room was fine and very clean. Bathroom very small, separate sink area was nice but only needed to stay one night. There are restaurants close by. For the price, the room wasn't bad - No Regrets.

• Stayed: April 2007