“run don't walk”

Ranked #32 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Manchester Township, New Jersey
“run don't walk”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Horrible and seedy. Would never stay here again. Room smelled. Many long term guests living there. I did not feel safe here. Would have left but after driving all day and was travelling with my dog so no other option.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
rri169, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you for your feedback...I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. It is always our goal to provide a safe/clean environment for all of our guests.Please, if you do decide to stay with RRI in the future, just notify the desk, I am certain they will be more than happy to make it right.

Shirley Jordan G.M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Arabic first
Reviewed May 10, 2013

My sister and I traveled to the DC area while she was in Va for a visit! I booked our room on Priceline, easy enough.Wanted to stay outside of the metro DC area. So location was perfect! We arrived on Monday evening as planned check in was quick and smooth. The clerk even requested I put my sisters name on the top of the check in so if she was locked out they could issue her a room key. I was very grateful!
We pretty much dropped our belongings and left for the remainder of the evening.
Tuesday was a busy get up and go day, showered and left. I opted for housekeeping to just come in make our beds, change out our towels, and empty trash. However I did leave a note on my pillow so I knew housekeeping would see it requesting she leave 2 extra towels. **Note here:** ** I had to use the customer in room servery card as there was no pen or paper in the room that you would normally find.**

Note read: Could you please leave 2 extra towels. Thank you and have a wonderful day!!

We returned around 11PM beds had been made note was flipped over and put back on on the desk area...no extra towels where left. The actual condition of the room was not noted fully until the morning of check out. As I said we dropped our things and where off and running! There was urine and "body hair" around the base of the toilet. While warming up left overs from the night before my sister found a dirty plate in the microwave that had been left there from a previous guest. We had not use the microwave up to this point. Luckly we checked out directly after this! However I did snap a few pics with my phone to show the front desk.

Again the clerk was WONDERFUL (different clerk then at check in). She completely understood how unhappy I was and did issue me a partial credit towards the room after seeing the pics. She assured me that management would be informed of our room conditions.

Yes the rooms where nice, they appeared to of been recently updated. No complaints there...it was just the housekeeping.

Room Tip: Check your room as soon as you get there. DO NOT DROP AND RUN!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Your concerns are very important to us...please note we have taken corrective action concerning your comments. Customer feedback helps us to improve our service.
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 8, 2013

...because everything else was wonderful! We walked into our room and gasped!!! Beautiful clean hardwood floors; beautiful designs/colors on the bed covers; and sleek TV and desk....and a raised and charming country sink!!!! The look and the reality were Clean! NO grungy smelly old stained carpeting or chairs. We wanted to put a few things into the safe which was low on batteries and within 5 minutes a really friendly and funny hotel engineer arrived and did it. We liked everyone we met there...employees and guests!!! This is a true review! No stake in writing this except our feeing brilliant for finding it!! If you doubt it, book Room 106 and see for yourself! Thank you Red Roof Alexandria. We shall return!! MC Barton

Room Tip: Try R pom 106
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Your review made my day...Thank you so much, and thanks for being so forgiving about the coffee-)see again real soon.

Maplewood, Minnesota
Reviewed May 2, 2013

The hotel room was clean. The parking lot and communal areas were also clean. The picture shown is very similar to what our room looked like. We had King sized bed, refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker and full bath. There was a flat screen tv which worked fine. Our room was quiet and our bed was comfortable. Our room was facing the hi-way but this didn't keep us awake. Wi-Fi is FREE with the room. It worked well enough that I was able to watch videos on my IPad. There were only a few negatives. Housekeeping during your stay consists of leaving clean towels on your bed every day. Apparently cleaning the sink, tub and making the bed is your own responsibility. If you do not have a car the walk from the Metro is about a mile. Not a problem except you have to cross Richmond Highway which is very busy. Also there is no sidewalk on the side the hotel is located on. It is also a hike to the nearest restaurants. There are always cabs at the Metro stop. In all fairness there is ample free parking. If you want just a basic room without paying for amenities you do not use this may be the place for you.

Room Tip: If the sound of cars bothers you be sure to ask for a room on the back of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
rri169, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Thank you for the review of our renovated rooms....sorry to hear that the cleanliness of your room did not meet your expectations...We are in the process of retraining our clean team(in this area)....please make it a point to visit us again real soon.

Lynchburg, Virginia
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed here while in Washington DC for a weekend of Washington Nationals ballgames. The hotel was less than 10 minutes from the stadium and not hard to get to. Just past the hotel further in was a Target and Walmart along with many restaurants and gas stations.
Our room on the third floor was basic and clean enough. The air conditioner had not been running prior to our check-in so the room was VERY WARM. We had to turn the unit on and leave for a while so it could cool off. They do allow pets at this motel so it is good for pet owners.
The office staff was very nice and helpful about giving us directions and ideas.
It was okay for just staying overnight but if I had to stay longer, I'd try the Holiday Inn Express just up the road.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
rri169, General Manager at Red Roof PLUS+ Washington, D.C. - Alexandria, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
thank you for your comments...It is always a pleasure to get feedback from our guests.Please accept my apologies concerning the heat in the room-we have informed our clean team on the importance of making sure the heat is in the off position. We hope to see you again.

Darien, Connecticut
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here while visiting Washington, DC, a beautiful place to be in the Spring. The rooms were advertised as newly renovated, but our room, although clean, was still quite basic and small. It did have a fridge which was convenient, but no coffee maker. Our room was at the back of the hotel which was much quieter than the front (which faces a busy road), if you have the option ask for the back.

Although the hotel was billed as being "close" to transportation to DC the train station was actually almost a mile away down several busy roads. We walked since the weather was good, but in the rain your only options would either to drive and park at the station ($6 per day I believe) or take a cab. If you have small children and/or want to be truly within walking distance of the train to DC there are lots of other options in the area.

There is no breakfast available, so bring some bagels and fruit to get a quick start to the day. We were told there would be coffee in the lobby but there was actually only hot water for tea on our visit, thankfully we had brought some packs of Via instant coffee so were able to joe up before walking out the door.

Overall a clean and inexpensive place to stay, if you temper your expectations accordingly it's a good option.

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Your concerns are very important to us...In order to be able to offer clean/safe affordable accomodations, we have to cut out the frills. With the renovations we were able to upgrade our superior kings,they do have coffee pots, a large work station, irons. and blow dryers in each room-Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you-we look forward to seeing you again! And invite you to try the superior king room.

Shirley Jordan
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I booked the room on Priceline. I have been booking hotels with Priceline for 2 yrs.I accidentally selected the wrong star hotel. I usually selected 3 stars or more. This is one of the worst ones. I was excited because it was renovated. Room was not clean and had food particles on the carpet. Bathroom toliet and tub was leaking. This hotel was in an unsafe area, there were weird characters were lurking around. There was a piece of hair on the bathroom floor. Just a bad experience. The staff upfront was friendly but does compensate for the bad experience. I would not stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: If you book a hotel on priceline, make sure you choose a 3 star or more.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Sorry to hear that your stay was not a good one-we really do try to exceed our guests expectations , clearly we dropped the ball -please accept my apology. I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to impress you.
Shirley Jordan