All reviewsfront deskdc arearoom was cleanbudget hotelmetro stationper nightpublic transportationfridge and microwaveold townfew blocksfree parkingpetwalmartredroofmilebeltwaytarget
Reviewed May 7, 2012

If you are heading to the Old Town Alexandria area and want to spend your hard earned money on other things besides a hotel room, I recommend the Red Roof Inn in Alexandria.

This hotel has most of the modern amenities and is currently undergoing a low key renovation...but what makes this place truly specal is the staff...Sarah at the front desk is extremely kind, helpful, friendly and informative..the housekeeping staff will assist you with any additional item you might need.

Is this a high end high cost hotel? No but it offers a comfortable room with a great location within 2 miles of the center of Old Town Alexandria at a fraction of the cost of the $ 200 and up rooms that are in the city. Given the free parking, Metro access a half mile away and the fantastic staff, this hotel is worth a visit.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the back of the hotel if you are a light sleeper, the morning commutes can make the Richmond Highway a little loud for some tastes
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Customer service is excellent. A must stay. Staff member Debbie was very friendly, and helpful; "A+" for customer service. Thank You

Room Tip: stay on the upper floors, better WiFi signal.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank reginald p
Reviewed April 28, 2012

This hotel is definitely no frills and if you are looking to be pampered this is not the place for you. What it is is a clean, basic place to stay with a friendly staff. They also have free wifi (every Red Roof Inn has free wifi) and they also have guest laundry facilities on the premises. The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet considering I stayed on the side of the hotel that faces Rt 1. If you need quiet then ask for a room on the back side of the hotel.
There are plenty of food options within 2 miles of the hotel including the really killer Thai place directly across Rt 1 from the hotel. There is a mall (Beacon Mall) a little over a mile from the hotel with a grocery store, restaurants (BBQ, Outback, etc) and a bank. There is also a Chili's and a Five Guys up Rt 1 if you are looking for a burger. The hotel also provides a delivery menu if you want to stay in.
The hotel is also centrally located if you want to get somewhere else. Located 1/2 mile from the Rt 1 and I-95 interchange you can head in any direction from there (by car). The Metro bus stops in front of the hotel and you are also within walking distance of the Huntington subway station. From there you can get to anywhere around or in DC. The subway is also an easy and efficient way to get to National Airport. All in all it is a fabulous location.
The hotel is inexpensive ($80/night with AAA) and if you are going to stay at a Red Roof Inn anywhere, be sure to sign up for the RediCard. You can earn free nights at Red Roof Inns very quickly! Red Roof also will give you an extremely reduced rate ($59/night at this location) if you stay five nights or more. I prefer staying at nicer hotels if I can afford it but Red Roof Inn almost always provides a clean, basic place to stay. This one in particular is a winner, especially considering that the cost of ANY chain hotel in the surrounding area will start at $130/night.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank David H
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Flew in to visit niece in MD. Very convenient to the airport and to old town Alexandria. Sara, the desk clerk who checked us in made our stay fun and exciting giving us clear directions to the metro station so we could leave our car and enjoy the sights. When my niece realized she forgot her toothbrush and paste, she asked Sara where we could buy some and viola!!, Sara handed her both. Saved us having to look for a place to purchase it. It is a short walk to the metro which took us to Alexandria where we picked up the free trolley down to the water.
The room was clean and quiet. My husband and I travel for business and stay at motels about 20 weekends a year. We've stayed at many Red Roof Inns. Most are satisfactory, this one was great! The a/c was noisy, but after all that sightseeing it didn't keep me awake.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank gwap49
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Stayed here with my dog because it was the only pet friendly hotel in the area that didnt charge $50+ for a pet fee. I trusted the reviews on trip advisor and booked from the road so i didnt have time to research thorughly. But i wish i had stayed someplace else. To start, its not the best area, and it looks like a shabby run down motel. The rooms are small, no fridge, no micro, and the worst was the loud construction they had going on all day. It said they stop at 5 pm but they went well into 6pm with the noise. I felt like a prisoner in the room because there were men working directly outside my door. The drilling and jackhammering was so loud i thought they were going to drill right through the wall and into my room. I feel like they should have mentioned this before i booked the room. The large windows face the outside walkway so people can see right in. This means you have to keep it closed all the time so you end up without any natural light. My dog was freeked out with all the noise amd workers outside our door. They left buckets and equipment outside my door which made it weird and awkward everytime i had to enter and leave my room. The grounds are small with only a small grassy area for dog walks, they do offer bags but it looks like no one picks up here. There is no restaurant on site, and no breakfast. I didnt trust to walk barefoot on the carpet and instead wore flip flops. They only give you 3 small pillows the size of cotton balls, and i also decided to sleep in long sleeve and long pants. It just didnt seem clean enough not to --granted this is my first time at a red roof inn, and i know the construction was a huge factor in me not liking this place, however i could only see someone stayng here as a quick one nght sleepover and then get back on the road. Definately not a family place, dfinately not a vacation. Seems dangerous and run down. I only left the room once to get food - plenty of chain restaurants nearby. Also seems overpriced at $99 with tax, when i paid that much at a Hampton Inn that also took dogs and was like the ritz compared to this. Definately more like a $50 a nite place.

Room Tip: Request a room with a fridge because not all rooms have them
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo