“Broken elevator, broken sink with poor drainage”

Courtyard Alexandria Pentagon South
Ranked #27 of 53 Hotels in Alexandria
Northeast
“Broken elevator, broken sink with poor drainage”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2008

My family was stuck in their elevator for, I don't know, 20 minutes or so. The fire department was called to extract them. As they were leaving, the firefighter said "that elevator does that a lot."

I asked the front desk staff when the elevator would be fixed. They said they couldn't guarantee anything, as this was the first and only time this ever happened. When I told her that the fire fighter told us this was a chronic problem, she pulled me aside and offered me a free breakfast.

Not a very nice place. Amenites are pretty antiquated for a Marriott. Plus, the staff lied.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Mummy210

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Cocoa, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2007

My husband and I stayed there for the Marine Corps Marathon at the end of October 2007. The hotel was clean, nicely decorated and had a reasonable buffet and table service restaurant in the lobby. They also provided special bag breakfasts and transportation to the marathon start area, so we didn't have to fight the Metro subway crowds. The staff was gracious and attentive, nice sized rooms and great linens. Housekeeping was quiet and timely. It is not convenient to a subway station, but the hotel shuttle was convenient and also stopped at the grocery store across the street. Billing was accurate and they accomodated a large group that we traveled with, with no problems. Nice indoor pool and whirlpool area, and also outside patio. We would definitely stay there again.

• Liked — Great rooms and pool area
  • Disliked — location is a bit remote from Washington DC but central to Alexandria
  • Stayed October 2007
1 Thank id72
Columbia, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2007

Visited this hotel for Veteran's Day events in DC and found it to be about average. This property had been several other brands before it took the Courtyard name and went through a renovation. The location is in a quiet side area 4 miles from Old Town Alexandria and off of 395. This hotel is not near a METRO stop making a rental car or the hotel shuttle a necessity. The room was well appointed but the A/C was not working properly and ran the entire stay.

• Liked — Nice interior
  • Disliked — Out of the way location
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
White Plains, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2007

I booked through priceline for about $40 something dollars. Very friendly and helpful staff. The rooms are nice and beds also very comfy. You will sleep good. They have shuttle to and from the airport that runs daily which not only allows you access to the airport but the nearest metro to go into Washington,DC. Easy access to stores and other quick shopping places. Great stay!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2007

We stayed at this property in November of last year as we did an eastern US tour. This was the first leg of our trip and after a long drive we were thankful to arrive.

We passed four employees on our way from the parking lot and they each greeted us with a hello and a smile.

We booked on priceline and were in no means given Priceline treatment. I cant comment on the vibrations on the expressway side of the hotel, however, we had a room facing the mall and it was a great nights sleep.

Shuttle service - again fabulous service. We would take the shuttle to Crystal City each day and take the subway into Washington. One day after a long wet day in Washington we called for the shuttle from Crystal City. Apparently they had just left and we missed them by two minutes. We went outside to wait knowing we would be out there for some time until the next shuttle, when not two minutes later the shuttle shows up.

Apparently the hotel radioed the driver to turn around and collect us. We were extremely grateful.

As some have noted the location isnt very close to amenities aside from the mini-mall across the street. However, the shuttle takes you where you need to go.
For $42/night this hotel well exceeded our expectations.

• Liked — Service, Shuttle, Price
  • Disliked — Remote location
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SonOfPezcore
Flushing, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2007

very comfy beds... good service, liked free internet access, clean and friendly. only complaints: annoying to pay for parking, no free breakfast, and missing my fav cable stations! but would go there again, def positive experience and a pleasurable stay

• Liked — beds
  • Disliked — no free breakfast
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
FSXFlightman
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2007

I planned a family vacation to Washington DC and I wanted to stay for a minimum of five nights. I changed hotels three times before settling on this hotel based its proximity and value. I took advantage of a long term stay discount (5 nights or more and saved close to $50 a night)
The hotel offers regular shuttle service to the Metro Station at Ronald Regan Airport.(Two vans going at busy times) Contrary to previous comments, I found it to be very reliable and on time, it runs approximately every 30 Min's. I parked my car at the hotel parking lot ($10 a day) and I was able to use this shuttle back and forth to the Washington DC transit trains(very clean and safe).
The hotel offers a large and very clean pool and Jacuzzi with a small but fully modern and working fitness area (also very clean). We used this pool and fitness area nightly and got to know the life guard on duty. A very friendly chap named Centko.The hours of the pool area are evening only (5PM-10PM), and considering the heat wave while we were there (100F+), I think the pool hours should be expanded to include morning swimming hours as well. As most hotels do not have a lifeguard, I found this to be a bonus in knowing the entire area was supervised.
The Internet is hotel wide(WiFi) and free with two terminals in the lobby for complimentary printing if required. I used my laptop in my room, but I found the Internet to be over loaded and rendered almost useless at night. Could it have been too many hotel patrons using the same Internet connection at once? It worked well in the mornings which is when I found myself using it as a result of being unable to at night. The hotel should consider upgrading the ISP provider to a bigger capacity as this did leave me with a negative impression of an otherwise great hotel.
Hotel front desk staff where always extremely friendly and helpful with every demand I made of them, they deserve to be commended for a job well done. The neighborhood was safe, convenient shopping across the street....pizza and quisnos sub as well as a CVS pharmacy and a grocery store. Lacking restaurants in the area(close enough for walking) we were forced to drive an easy three miles(residential drive) to a wide selection of restaurants only minutes away on the otherside of the Interstate 395.
I will stay in this hotel again. In my humble opinion, this is the best hotel secret in the Washington DC area. Great value, I recommend it highly.

• Liked — The Pool and Airport Shuttle to Public transit
  • Disliked — Lack of a Fridge in the room and poor Internet connection
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family