“Average in Alexandria” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 53 Hotels in Alexandria
Columbia, South Carolina
“Average in Alexandria”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2007

Visited this hotel for Veteran's Day events in DC and found it to be about average. This property had been several other brands before it took the Courtyard name and went through a renovation. The location is in a quiet side area 4 miles from Old Town Alexandria and off of 395. This hotel is not near a METRO stop making a rental car or the hotel shuttle a necessity. The room was well appointed but the A/C was not working properly and ran the entire stay.

• Liked — Nice interior
  • Disliked — Out of the way location
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
White Plains, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2007

I booked through priceline for about $40 something dollars. Very friendly and helpful staff. The rooms are nice and beds also very comfy. You will sleep good. They have shuttle to and from the airport that runs daily which not only allows you access to the airport but the nearest metro to go into Washington,DC. Easy access to stores and other quick shopping places. Great stay!

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2007

We stayed at this property in November of last year as we did an eastern US tour. This was the first leg of our trip and after a long drive we were thankful to arrive.

We passed four employees on our way from the parking lot and they each greeted us with a hello and a smile.

We booked on priceline and were in no means given Priceline treatment. I cant comment on the vibrations on the expressway side of the hotel, however, we had a room facing the mall and it was a great nights sleep.

Shuttle service - again fabulous service. We would take the shuttle to Crystal City each day and take the subway into Washington. One day after a long wet day in Washington we called for the shuttle from Crystal City. Apparently they had just left and we missed them by two minutes. We went outside to wait knowing we would be out there for some time until the next shuttle, when not two minutes later the shuttle shows up.

Apparently the hotel radioed the driver to turn around and collect us. We were extremely grateful.

As some have noted the location isnt very close to amenities aside from the mini-mall across the street. However, the shuttle takes you where you need to go.
For $42/night this hotel well exceeded our expectations.

• Liked — Service, Shuttle, Price
  • Disliked — Remote location
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SonOfPezcore
Flushing, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2007

very comfy beds... good service, liked free internet access, clean and friendly. only complaints: annoying to pay for parking, no free breakfast, and missing my fav cable stations! but would go there again, def positive experience and a pleasurable stay

• Liked — beds
  • Disliked — no free breakfast
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
FSXFlightman
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2007

I planned a family vacation to Washington DC and I wanted to stay for a minimum of five nights. I changed hotels three times before settling on this hotel based its proximity and value. I took advantage of a long term stay discount (5 nights or more and saved close to $50 a night)
The hotel offers regular shuttle service to the Metro Station at Ronald Regan Airport.(Two vans going at busy times) Contrary to previous comments, I found it to be very reliable and on time, it runs approximately every 30 Min's. I parked my car at the hotel parking lot ($10 a day) and I was able to use this shuttle back and forth to the Washington DC transit trains(very clean and safe).
The hotel offers a large and very clean pool and Jacuzzi with a small but fully modern and working fitness area (also very clean). We used this pool and fitness area nightly and got to know the life guard on duty. A very friendly chap named Centko.The hours of the pool area are evening only (5PM-10PM), and considering the heat wave while we were there (100F+), I think the pool hours should be expanded to include morning swimming hours as well. As most hotels do not have a lifeguard, I found this to be a bonus in knowing the entire area was supervised.
The Internet is hotel wide(WiFi) and free with two terminals in the lobby for complimentary printing if required. I used my laptop in my room, but I found the Internet to be over loaded and rendered almost useless at night. Could it have been too many hotel patrons using the same Internet connection at once? It worked well in the mornings which is when I found myself using it as a result of being unable to at night. The hotel should consider upgrading the ISP provider to a bigger capacity as this did leave me with a negative impression of an otherwise great hotel.
Hotel front desk staff where always extremely friendly and helpful with every demand I made of them, they deserve to be commended for a job well done. The neighborhood was safe, convenient shopping across the street....pizza and quisnos sub as well as a CVS pharmacy and a grocery store. Lacking restaurants in the area(close enough for walking) we were forced to drive an easy three miles(residential drive) to a wide selection of restaurants only minutes away on the otherside of the Interstate 395.
I will stay in this hotel again. In my humble opinion, this is the best hotel secret in the Washington DC area. Great value, I recommend it highly.

• Liked — The Pool and Airport Shuttle to Public transit
  • Disliked — Lack of a Fridge in the room and poor Internet connection
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
tamaqua
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2007

What more can you want, clean room, comfortable, great price. If you want to be pampered and have an elegant room, go somewhere else and pay more.
Here right now with family, wife and three young girls. I feel safe, they are comfortable and only problem was not enough towels, corrected with a quick call.
Yes, it is on I395, but I can't hear it. Yes the A/C is not central, but works very well. Was worried after reading other reviews on many sites, but glad we stayed. Saved over $60 a night compared to other places, used that money to eat better and enjoy our mini-vacation. Don't expect to walk anywhere, but has shuttle to metro and from there you can get to almost anywhere in DC area. Mini mall across the street, decent pizza and small grocery store. Provided everything we needed for a family of 5. Good prices also. Free wireless internet ($10 a night in the more expensive places). We had free breakfast, which was great. Buffet is OK, decent selection with omlet station. service slow, but it is a buffet.

• Liked — value for the money
  • Disliked — pool crowded
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2007

Between the constant vibration from the Interstate and the noise from literally hundreds of middle to high school students bounding up and down the corridors while I was there, this was NOT a good place to get work done in June 2007! Also, if you buy a room via Priceline, beware: (1) This hotel is NO WHERE NEAR Old Town Alexandria (although Priceline says it is and (2) they will hate you before you even arrive because you did not pay much for the room. When I checked in, after normal check in time, everything went fine until.... they suddenly mentioned that I paid via Priceline. Suddenly there was no room ready for me. Fine, I said, I will go to dinner and come back. I reminded the desk clerk that I would need two beds (not a King) and I would like the room to be handicap accessible for my fellow traveler and that I'd called A MONTH IN ADVANCE to secure both. Yes, she said, there was a note about that. No problem.

So I went to dinner and came back and they had a room: it was a king bed and not handicapped accessible. I reminded them I'd requested differently and they simply shrugged and said I'd paid on Priceline, take it or leave it.

So I took it. Got my key card and.... would you believe I had to make 3 trips to the front desk before I get a key card which actually worked in the lock to my room? *Sigh* Yep. When I finally got to my room, the door slamming, hall-running teenage extravaganza began as 5 bus loads of youngsters were doomed to the same fate as me, staying at this Courtyard by the Interstate. A call to the front desk did nothing, of course. The hall roaming continued until about 1:30 am.

The hotel itself was drab and dingy. There is a grocery store across the street for cheaper breakfast items and such. Parking was advertised to cost $10 but I was not charged. No hair dryer!!!

Wouldn't stay there again on business if it was free. Seriously.

• Liked — I did not pay to park
  • Disliked — Service was bad, rest and work were nearly impossible
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business