“Not fancy, but works fine”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria
Ranked #26 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Minnesota
“Not fancy, but works fine”
Reviewed May 1, 2007

There is nothing wrong with this place, but just don't expect luxury. It is a classic example of a 1980's hotel. Plain beds, ugly carpet, plain bathroom, etc. In today's world of flat screen TV's and ultra-comfy beds, this place is a little tired. But I found the staff to be nice, the location to be walking distance from some excellent restaurants, and the place to be clean.

This is a good alternative to a Reagan National airport hotel, which can often be ridiculously priced. It is 5 mins away.

Stayed May 2007
1 Thank Hazelmn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Tampa
Reviewed March 22, 2007

I stayed for three nights on a business trip. Less than 10 minuets from the airport, easy and fast check in. Overall there's really nothing alarming to point out. However, it took 10 minuets+ for the water to get hot and the new heating system fluctuated between hot and cold air that was a bit uncomfortable during the night.

• Stayed March 2007
Virginia
Reviewed March 15, 2007

My sister and I stayed for two days at the Radisson Old Town Alexandria to site see, shop and enjoy seafood restaurants. The room was nice and clean, but nothing special and definitely not worth the money even with my AAA discount. The best thing about the hotel is happy hour in Chequers Lounge.

We first arrived a few hours early and were told the room wasn't ready (not surprising). We came back at check-in time and got our keys, then went to the room and discovered that the housekeeper had barely begun cleaning it (big sigh). We hauled our luggage back down the elevator (from the ninth floor) to the front desk and had to get another room. This was all very odd since the hotel didn't seem busy enough to warrant all that hassle.

On my reservation I requested a nice quiet room and made a point to ask for this again in person. However, we found out too late that the second room we were given was on the river side in the flight path of incoming airport traffic! The bathroom was nice except there were no hooks and only one small towel rack across the room from the bathtub. So, we took a small side table from the room and placed it next to the tub for towels and robes.

The hotel is at least eight blocks from centrally located King Street. So, be prepared to walk a lot or pay for parking garages and taxis. Also, it cost $15 a day just to park in the hotel garage -- ouch! This hidden fee was never mentioned until we got the final bill at check out.

• Liked — lounge
  • Disliked — charged for parking
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank BeachBabe15
Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 20, 2007

Our room was for free, so I can't complain too much. We were staying under the auspices of one of those time-share sale deals - can't imagine that hotel would help the company sell a lot of timeshares. We paid for parking for only the first day we were there since it became readily apparent that street parking around the facility was free on the weekend. Breakfast was overpriced, and there is a perfectly good diner (the Royal) within two blocks of the hotel. Location is not good - it's a hefty walk to Old Town, and at least part of it is through a housing project. The hotel runs a shuttle to Old Town once every hour. Nearest Metro stop is a similarly long and dangerous (at night, anyway) walk. The staff was reasonably courteous. The beds and pillows simply were not competitive to modern hotels that advertise the comfort of their beds. While we're talking about modern, it did seem that everything in the hotel was very well preserved from when I went there for a Valentine's Day dinner in the '80s. If I were to have paid for my stay there, I might feel as if I had been cheated.

Stayed February 2007
1 Thank MozeMoose
DC
Reviewed February 14, 2007

My company paid for my stay, but the front desk charged my credit card for the room as well as the incidentals, then it took almost a month before I got reimbursed.

The people at front desk clearly could not have cared less, and the people in accounting are rude and incompetent.

• Liked — Good deli in the parking lot
  • Disliked — billing, bad attitude of staff
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Blacksburg, Virginia
Reviewed February 13, 2007

We stayed there Sat. night 2/10. $79 + tax. Got a big king on 10th floor (1014) looking twds city - great views. Lower rooms wouldn't have this view b/c of other buildings. Older facility in what looks to be an area converting to office/comm. Did not pay the $12 to park - parked right in front on street. Great coffee shop down the street - Perks or some such. Not in what I would call Old Town.

• Liked — view
  • Stayed February 2007
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 9, 2006

I stayed at this hotel for one reason: I was attending a meeting there. This is a very ordinary business hotel. Nothing distinctive about it. I'd say it has seen better days, but it probably hasn't. I would not choose this hotel for a vacation/family stay.

Reception area, hallways look dated. Carpet in lobby areas could use a good shampooing.

My room was clean. Comfortable king-size bed. Harsh fluorescent lighting in the bathroom. Good strong shower. Decent view of the Potomac River (I was on the South side of the building).

I did not visit fitness room or pool.

Nice 10 block walk to King St., the main street in Old Town Alexandria - lots of shops, restaurants, historic buildings.

Quiet neighborhood, although it is in the flight path of National Airport - just a couple of miles away. Planes were landing on this approach for both days I was there, but it didn't bother me. There is an active railroad spur right next to the hotel and I did hear freight trains a couple of times, again, not a big deal.

I took free shuttle bus to airport. nice driver, good service.

Best feature of this hotel: FREE WIFI!

• Liked — Free WIFI.
  • Disliked — That I had to stay there.
  • Tips/Secrets — No.
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)