WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria

Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria
Ranked #29 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
virginia
“Not too bad (for the price)”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2006

Got this hotel on Priceline for $65 ($81 after tax and fees). They charge $12 to park as well. The location is not Old Town, it is 8 blocks north and pretty far to walk. There are about 2 blocks between the hotel and Old Town that appear to be subsidized housing-may not want to walk past there too late at night. This is the first hotel I have booked on Priceline that would not allow me to put in a request for bed type and smoking preference. When I called initially to inquire, they refused to take my info and told me I would get whatever was available when I checked in. Checked in at 3:15pm (check-in starts at 3) and was told the hotel was full and that the only room they had was a king smoking room. Not my preference, but beggars can't be choosers. There were only about 15 cars in the parking lot the night I stayed-so much for full... The drawbacks-the location is not "Old Town", they would not allow a preference on rooms and a hotel staff member walking through the halls at 5:45am with a walkie talkie that beeped when he keyed it up. The upside- the price. I probably would not use Priceline to book a 3-star in Alexandria again based on our stay here.

• Liked — price
  • Disliked — location, staff unfriendliness
  • Tips/Secrets — don't use priceline for a 3* in Old Town Alexandria
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mdcrim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Austin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2006

I think it's all a matter of expectations. After having read the bad reviews on this site, I was prepared for the worst AND pleasantly surprised. I booked the room on Hotwire for $70 (per night including taxes) which is nothing compared to other hotels in this area. True, the hotel could use an overhaul (especially the hallways and elevators!), but I really liked the huge room and the clean bathroom.

Service was fine too, I requested a different room after my first night and got it with no problem. I also used the metro station and the airport shuttle which were both excellent. There are tennis courts, a playground and upscale office buildings next to the hotel; I didn't feel unsafe in the area.

Slight drawbacks for me were the parking fees, the distance to Old Town (7 blocks to walk) and the shaky internet connection.

• Liked — large, clean rooms
  • Disliked — location
  • Tips/Secrets — find cheaper parking
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
2 Thank Icemink
Selma, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2006

I am shocked at how much some of ya'll paid for the room. Go to priceline and get it for 77$ tax included!!!
So the bad thing is that it is not by Old Town.
The area is Safe!! I cant believe someone said they didnt feel safe. Alexandria is a pricey place to live.
No metro station within walking distance but they have a shuttle that runs to the airport and there is a station there. The shuttle does not run after a certain time so we did have to take a cab from the aiport and it cost like 15 plus tip.
I was not charged for parking, so i dont know why some reviewers were.
The staff was great and friendly, the room was good but we could only kinda see the river from our window. Oh the river stinks, really. but inside it does not smell :-)
The room was great, huge bathroom with nice hot water. I am surprised to see so many bad reviews but i guess thats because you were expected a $150 room? I am not sure. Dont go to the Presidents Inn now that is a scary area!!!
Have fun in DC!!!!! get ready to walk......

• Liked — The bed!!
  • Disliked — No metro station within walking distance
  • Tips/Secrets — Wear comfy shoes when going to DC
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled with friends
Toronto, Ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2006

We stayed at this hotel for a conference from August 8 to 11, 2006 and, since we had read the trip advisor reviews prior to our departure, we were not expecting very much.

Other than the pleasant lobby and the decent food (both room service and served during the conference), the hotel is outdated and in need of renovation. The service, especially at the front desk, was mediocre at best. The location (although only 8 blocks from King Street) is a little dodgy and felt unsafe at night. We also experienced a lack of hot water in the shower in the morning.

The nail in the coffin came on our final morning. As we were packing our things a MASSIVE COCKROACH crawled from under our bags and went INTO THE BED. Needless to say, we will not be returning to this hotel. Ever.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
6 Thank mrsgraph
Ridley Park, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2006

My husband & just stayed @ this hotel on june 22nd. To start off I think I was ripped off.. I paid $250/night from hotels.com. So my expectations of this hotel were very high. The lobby was nice but the rooms were a disappointment. Our first room the air conditioner was broke so we had to move to another. The views from the rooms were nice of the river & the roof top pool was cool.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank nikkib69
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2006

It was one of the worst hotel I haver ever stayed in. First of all, when we went on Hotels and paid 250.oo per night for a room with a king size bed and in the smoking section. When we arrived, there were customer invoices in clear sight on the reception desk, and not only did we pay the most money per night, we received a NON SMOKING room with two double beds on the fifth floor. When we requested a room that smoking was allowable, the guy at the front desk was very rude. The only thing that that front desk knew about was how to get you a taxi. Other than that they were'nt very helpful. The first room we were put in had no a/c. That is when they put us in another room. This one had stains all over the carpets. The pool was nice even though part of the railing is broken and its on the 13th FLOOR! Check out the view from the pool at dusk. The restaurant and room service staff were very nice and the food was good. Our iron was broken and they never sent up a replacement. The final straw was when we were told a shuttle was avaliable to us when needed, we called them after a scenic pm cruise and were told that it was closed forcing us to find a cab service after midnight. It is 12 dollars a day to park on their lot. It is much cheaper to park in a public lot and take a cab to the hotel .
consequently, we will never return to this hotel.

Stayed June 2006
5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2006

The hotel was cheap and also had free wireless, which allowed us to access the internet on our lap top easily. I traveled with my mother and I to explore Old Town Alexandria and it was a decent hotel for 2 nights. The neighborhood does not feel completely safe, but there is a shuttle which can take you right to the heart of Old Town Alxandria and it will bring you back as well.

• Stayed April 2006