“Great Hotel, Awesome Location”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria
Ranked #24 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Huntsville, Alabama
“Great Hotel, Awesome Location”
Reviewed April 11, 2008

I got this hotel recently for business for the week; government rates $201 per night. I love the location right near the Potamic and Old Town Alexandrer, VA. That is the reason I chose it for the historical area which is awesome. Small Bistro's and cafe's on corners, and places to wander for hours. Just a short 8 blocks to King St., great restaurants and once you step away from the tourist area and enter the old neighborhoods, your taken back into history. The hotel treats you well, nice clean rooms, some small flaws like dryer placed in closet, have to remove it, coffee machine below TV stand, have to move it to bathroom to plug in, and blower noisy in bathroom. But, I can deal with that for the awesome views and airplanes flying down the Potamic to land nearby. Get the 11th floor, view can't be beat.

• Liked — The view from the room of the Potomic and Old Towne, History
  • Disliked — Too many instructions, at front and info when checking in; especially after traveling all day
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
westminster, md
Reviewed January 26, 2008

The hotel was under construction, which meant that we were awoke on a SATURDAY by the sounds of jackhammers. The hotel had given us a notice saying that Monday through Friday the hotel would have construction, but they never mentioned anything about Saturday. On top of the ever present construction, I went to get soda for my husband and myself and the room where the soda machine was supposed to be, had black markings all over the floor with trash and no soda machine. I was told I had to go downstairs if I wanted a soda. SO, any time we wanted something cold to drink, we had to go from the 8th floor (where our room was) to the lobby. That was a real pain. The wallpaper was torn around the top of the walls in the hallway, and the entrance was covered over with construction coverings. The staff were, for the most part, helpful in getting around the town, but I was unimpressed with the way the hotel looked. Also, the toilet did not flush properly, which was a big pain. The water was very cool for the first part of your shower and then got warmer as it went on.

• Liked — I liked its location
  • Disliked — I didn't like the construction, the bathroom situation, lack of attention
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank irishluck09

Travelers are raving about these Alexandria hotels

san francisco
Reviewed November 19, 2007

Don't get spooked by the bad reviews. I booked this on priceline for $87.00 and it was fine, though you could probably get it for even less. I travel extensively and I'm really picky & was concerned after reading some of the reviews. Ignore them. Get a high floor for nice city and river views and upgraded beds. There's construction onsite and it's loud during the day, but temporary. THere's a free shuttle to Olde Town and the staff at the front desk is very friendly and helpful. The hotel is going through lots of renovation, so 08 will be much better.

• Stayed November 2007
2 Thank Love2travel999
Albuquerque
Reviewed November 14, 2007

The usual story when a hotel is being renovated. That doesn't stop them from continuing to rent rooms. In addition to noise and half the parking lot being closed and a snow-like substance filling the air in the entrance and lobby (lung damage?) there were problems not associated with renovation. The bed-side phone didn't work in the room, lights were burnt out, carpet was old, ripped and stained. It was listed as a suite but there was no refrigerator, the desk chair was broken -- and they charged $255 a night for this!!

Stayed November 2007
Southern California
Reviewed November 11, 2007

Alexandria is the national headquarters location for two professional associations I belong to, one of which hosted a working weekend for a certification exam it was about to launch. At a large-group rate of $109 a night, this hotel was the association's lodging of choice for those of us on the certification committee in '05.

As I write this review 2-1/2 years later, I'm not surprised the Radisson unloaded this property. The front desk staff back in May '05 was pretty brain dead to the point where some of my colleagues and I had to rouse them through informal coaching on basic customer service. (The Radisson clearly made out that weekend with $3,000 to $5,000 worth of training for $0!!!)

The inattentiveness extended to the housekeeping staff. My room, clean as it was, had a mini-bar containing a USED—yes, used, single-sip—bottle of water some cheapskate customer thought he or she could simply re-mix among the unused beverages in order to skip paying! I turned in that backwashed bottle, making sure I wasn't charged for it.

Although the remainder of the room was perfectly livable, I felt our association could've done better. And, after reading reviews reflecting more recent stays, you can bet I won't be returning to this place—even if I am a Holiday Inn Priority Club member!

Stayed May 2005
Virginia
Reviewed November 1, 2007

I got a room on the 10th floor and I could see the Washington Monument and the Capital Dome from my bed!!!

They had the government rate of $201 available and it included breakfast and bonus priority points.

The parking lot was undergoing renovation, and the staff said they are doing top to bottom renovations, all of which will be completed in the spring. At $201, this place was a steal, and I can't wait to come back when they are finished. I just wished my meeting was in the summer so i could use the rooftop pool.

• Stayed October 2007, traveled on business
North Carolina
Reviewed October 23, 2007

I stayed here on business at a rate of $201. This is not a two hundred dollar a night hotel but it is fine. The views from the top floors (I was on 12) were spectacular. The bed was excellent. The furnishings are comfortable and adequate. The carpet and bath are worn and showing age, but function without problem. The breakfast buffet was not particularly good. The food looked unappetizing so I stayed with the fruit, which was tasteless, and cereal. Service is pleasant.
I had difficulty getting the shuttle and ended up in a cab which cost me $15 from National Airport. The hotel is right on a great bike trail, so bring your bike or rent one...and take a ride. Gorgeous area for walking.

• Liked — room views
  • Disliked — pool was closed and the temps were in the 80's
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled on business