Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewspotomac riverking streetold towngastro pubextra perksflight pathreagan airportfree shuttlebraddock roadfront desk staffseveral blocksshuttle serviceblock walkhotel shuttlehotel restaurantparking feerestaurants and shops
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 15, 2012

We thought this was a bit closer to King Street but it was a good 15-20 minute walk - about 8 blocks. Rooms are comfortable with nice linens. Parking was additional $20 but it's outside with no protection so seemed a bit high. Check in was fast and easy.

There was a bit of confusion on the deposit required for "incidentals" - they charged a very odd amount of $32.88 and this should have gone back on our card after several days as we had no incidentals. The $20 parking fee was charged in a different transaction. Upon returning home I noticed the deposit amount had actually cleared and charged to our card and not cancelled or credited back as promised. I called the hotel and was promised a call back. This did not happen. I finally sent an email which quickly resulted in a phone call from them saying they would look into it. No response as of yet so I finally had to dispute with my credit card company.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Malcolmsmom
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded January 1, 2013

Dear Malcolmsmom,

Thank you for submitting your review of our hotel. I certainly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention. We take comments such as these seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Lera M
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Stayed here on business. Staff friendly and helpful. Room was clean. Hotel has shuttle to and from Reagan airport, and to King St for shopping and restaurants. Quiet area and away from hustle and bustle but not too far to get to DC area attractions.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Not the best Crowne Plaza I have ever been to, but wonderful location to experience Old Town Arlington, which is worth the visit. The rooms are average, but very clean. The staff will go out of their way to accommodate you. I would without hesitation recommend or stay again.

1  Thank Wanda R
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed here for five nights on business. The hotel and room itself were clean and well presented. Alexandria Old Town proper is about 15 minutes' walk south of here and the nearest Metro station (King Street) is around 30-40minutes' walk.
The location is a mix of good and bad, it's right on the shores of the Potomac and there's a pleasant promenade area along the waterfront with a view into the centre of Washington DC and the Capitol Building. However, the river is the approach for the National Airport so aircraft noise is noticeable (or was in my room) but not oppressive.
If you're going to regularly be using the Metro I would recommend staying somewhere slightly closer, that being said it is a pleasant walk through the suburbs and there is a shuttle bus.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the DC side, from the higher floors there will be a view to the Capitol.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Hotel S, Administrator at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

We thank you for you comment. We strive for guest to have a pleasant stay with us. When you stay with us in the future, we do have sleep amenities for your room to help suppress any disturbances while you are sleeping. You are right about the view, we had many compliments of the rooms view of the Capitol. Again we hope that next stay with us that will be just as pleasant.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

I made a reservation here for myself and two colleagues and really only did because something was going on in town and everything else in DC and Alexandria was booked. But I was pleasantly surprised.

It's nothing to take pictures of, it's very functional, but it's clean and the staff is very nice and helpful. It does the job and is priced appropriately.

Feels a bit like a commuter hotel - lots of airline staff, military, business people and some families.

The beds are very comfy (though I'm not a fan of high pillows which is all they had in my room), the food in the restaurant is surprisingly good, there's a shuttle every thirty minutes starting very early in the morning to the airport. One of my colleagues is a runner and loved the nearby trail. If you can get a high floor the views are good. Free wifi and b&w printing in the lobby. It's a quick trip into the city.

A couple small things that bugged me - in my room the bathroom fan was quite loud and always went on whenever the light was turned on, and the paid wifi is not very strong but adequate if you don't have massive files to transfer.

The place itself clearly hasn't been renovated in a long time but the staff is doing a great job with what they have to work with.

There are a couple restaurants within a block or two and a ton about ten blocks away.

The parking is an open air lot. Twice heard a train over my four night stay but wasn't bothered by the planes at all. There's a Trader Joe's nearby which is helpful for longer stays.

This is not a trendy luxury hotel, but if you're ok with that, for the price, it's a really great option.

Room Tip: high rooms have good views