WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria

Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria
Ranked #29 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Dubai
“Nice hotel close to old town Alexandria walk”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2012

Good hotel location close to famous old area of Alexandria. Good hotel rates but service was average and hotel needs some renovation

• Stayed July 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

After reading some of the negative reviews, my wife and I was cautious about staying here. Nevertheless we decided to give it a try. We booked for four days and we really enjoyed our stay. The front desk folks were very nice, helpful and professional to us and all guest in our presence.The room was very clean. We had a late night dinner on our first night in the pub, the food and the service was great. The remaining evenings we ate in D.C. We had buffet breakfast 2 mornings at the hotel and 2 mornings at a local coffee just a 3 minute walk from the hotel. As expected the coffee shop had a wider selections menu and less costly. If you are the out doors type there is an excellent bike/walking path behind the hotel that is very active and extends all the way to RIA. The shuttle service is limited, it only goes to RIA and back every 45 minutes. We were advised by the shuttle driver to take the shuttle to the airport then the metrorail to D.C. This worked great for us as we toured D.C.The front desk will arrange for taxi service if asked. We would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: The river view rooms over look the Potomac River.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bob C
Sagamihara, Japan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

Stayed in one of the suite rooms for a couple weeks. Was going to stay for longer but there were a few things that bothered me: 1) When I first checked into my room, the carpet was very damp. There was no other suite room available to switch into so I had to deal with the dampness - it dried eventually. 2) The room keys. If they didn't demagnitize, they were keyed wrong, or the door handle was just a bit off so it wasn't accepting anything. 3) Breakfast - it sounded like there would be a lot of options available, but if something is not out on the buffet table, it's not available...odd. 4) The HVAC units were too loud in the bedroom; luckily the one in the living room was less rattley so I blasted that one on at night time. Other than that, the room package was great - included internet, breakfast, parking. Yes, it is a bit far from Old Town but the view of the Potomac is beautiful and walking around the "boardwalk" at night is refreshing. Nice sized refrigerator in the suite, and the internet had pretty decent bandwidth. No in-room safe. Bed is super comfortable, which was a pleasant surprise. That comforter will hug you to sleep! Overall decent, but I'll probably be choosing other hotels before this one.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Highland Village, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

Nicely done but showing signs of being dated. Staff was pleasant the entire stay but this hotel is WAY WAY out of the loop for dining, shopping and just about anything else.

PROS: Right next to STG if you are here for business. One of the closest hotels to Reagan National Airport and offers Free parking. A dry cleaner is just 1/2 block away, plus two small mom-pop dining choices. View of the waterfront in the distance, from our hotel room was quite nice to see. If Crown Plaza had balconies I would raise the rating because of the view.

Neutral: There is a small neighborhood grocery about 3 blocks east near Holiday Inn and Best Western Old Town. But that's about all within walking or bus.

CONS: Essentially convenient to none of great places that make Old Town Special. Water front is 7-8 long blocks due south to King Street, half hour walk - so take a cab. All travel without a rental car is by cab. Far cry from the other choices closer to King Street.

I would recommend this as your backup option. We paid $109 night thru Travelocity for 3 week nights. Nice breakfast buffet for $22 person without mimosas, just coffee. It was pleasant start to each morning (about average $$ in this zip code).

I prefer a fresher looking place to stay once you get past the lobby. Other choices I'd consider include Embassy suites (paid parking), King street Hampton Inn (paid parking), Westin (my favorite, yet paid parking) or the older yet friendly, quaint and comfortable Best Western (free parking).

Overall it was a clean friendly place to stay, but I felt disconnected from Old Town because of the distance barrier.

Room Tip: Shop expedia, travelocity and orbitz. Nice water views north or south above the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Galashiels, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

On arrival at The Crowne Plaza I was allocated a room on the 5th floor.There are three lifts located in the lobby area,so access to the higher floors posed no problem.The room was clean and spacious with two large beds,wide screen TV,Coffee/Tea maker and Iron/Ironboard.The en-suite was a good size with a plentiful supply of towels.
While I was staying at The Crowne Plaza there was a real heat wave going on,so the air-conditioning was in constant use for the duration of my stay.There was no mini-refridgerator in my room but there was an ice-making machine a few metres from my room which was the next best thing.
There are two computers and a printer located in the lobby area for hotel guests to use,which was ideal for me.Safety deposit boxes were available,but all of them were being used during my stay,which was a bit of a disappointment.There is a guests laundry service located on the 3rd floor with a washing machine,tumble-dryer and detergent machine(very handy).
The hotel also provides a free Shuttle bus service which goes from the hotel to King Street,a popular and busy area,every hour,starting just after 2.00pm.I did not have breakfast in the hotel,so I cannot comment on that.But,all in all,I was very satisfied with The Crowne Plaza,Old Town Alexandria and would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Good views from the higher floors.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Surfers Paradise, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

hotel was out of town had a complimentary coach to town, driver gets confused,not much around hotel area quiet

Room Tip: overlooked the car park nice room
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Lakeville, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2012

Got the feeling right from the start that we weren't the kind of customer they like to serve. Didn't really feel welcome, but decided to stay anyway. Getting an answer to a question like, "when is breakfast," was like pulling teeth. Hotel staff didn't want to share any information that wasn't specifically requested. The room was fine and the price was probably reasonable for the area. However, the next morning my wife was surprised that there was over $40 in taxes. When I looked at the bill, there was a $20 charge for parking. I suppose that was somewhere on the paperwork that was pushed in front of me to sign, but, come on, get real. Just put the cost of parking into the initial cost of the room. This makes you look like a cheap hotel just looking to soak any unsuspecting customer for any convenience possible.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear Terry B,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I’m very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I would like to address this with you further. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Connie D