New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria

Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria
Ranked #29 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Martin, Tennessee
“Excellent customer service and good quiet location.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel, because the conference hotel was booked in the city. I found that the front desk employees (Andrew, Fionui, Ashia, and the manager Sonya Harris) were all very knowledgeable and friendly. I had a minor issue and they quickly responded to my concerns. I travel a lot and I was impressed with their positive approach and quick response taking care of the issue. Actually, it was resolved in a way that was beyond what I expected.
The location is also nice and quiet. It’s a beautiful part of town, right across the street from a park and a shuttle ride away from the Old town on King street. The shuttle drivers (Tom, Juan, a few more I can't remember their names) were quick to point out the location of restaurants, grocery store and local attractions. They also made sure I knew when and where the pick locations were and the times they would be back.
I had a positive first experience with the hotel and the staff. I will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Even numbered room and the higher up the better. You may pay a little more for a river view room but...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

The Crown Plaza in Alexandria is an exquisitely maintained older property that has been updated in every way. It is located about 7 blocks from King Street which is the entertainment district. Not to bad a walk. It's about $7.00 for the cab, or free if you take their hourly shuttle which, unfortunately ends at 10:00PM.

The rooms are reasonably sized. There is room for a comfortable chair, reading lamp, etc. The glass wall overlooking the park across the street made the room seem even larger than it was. My only complaint is that the toilet is sized for a 3 year old.

Amenities were less than a luxury hotel might offer. There is not a concierge, WIFI is expensive (I was told $50.00 set up then free), no bell service. But you are not paying for those services so if you don't mind hauling your own bags, or going to the lobby to use a computer, it is a good value at $120.00 per night that close to Washington and the airport. The restaurant buffet was excellent. I didn't visit the bar or dining room.

They charge $20.00 a day for parking. I didn't quite understand the point of that as there is plenty of on street parking.

There may be better hotels in the area but I thought this was a good value and I would not hesitate to recommend it, or stay there again

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rjr4945
Warner Robins, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

Good accommodations. The room was fine, wouldn't call it upscale, but nonetheless decent furnishings and fixtures. Clean. The price was good, $103/nt for a king n/s with Potomac (side) view. Only negative are the doors, they have a tendency to slam very loudly if you just let them go and don't slowly close them. Could easily disturb other guests. Did not eat there, but the hotel bar has a good assortment of local craft beers and the bar manager was very helpful, born and raised in the DC area, fun to talk to. I did not interact with the other staff members, so can't really comment. Check-in was efficient.

Old Towne Alexandria with its many shops, restaurants and nightlife was very close. Less than a mile walk, or the hotel has a free shuttle that runs at regular intervals (10:20 PM was the latest pick up). I would feel safe walking it at night with a friend or group. DC is right over the river, maybe 4.3 miles if I recall. Also, the hotel is about 2 miles from the airport (Reagan). I had a rental, so did not use the hotel airport shuttle. Wireless was available in the rooms. The charge was $9.95 for a 24 hour period, but it was removed from my bill. I did not ask for it to be removed, but assumed maybe it was taken off due to my being on official military orders? You'd have to inquire on that one.

I was there for military business, and commuted each day over to Fort Belvoir, which was about a 25 minute drive during non-peak traffic periods. Otherwise, some of the side streets can get pretty congested because there seems to be a stop sign or traffic light every block.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
North Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2012

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza when we were visiting my father-in-law in DC. We were able to get it for less than 65/night via Priceline. It was a great deal. The hotel is walking distance from a many bars and restaurants in downtown Alexandria. It's in a beautiful area, very clean and safe. The only downside to our stay was the crowd. We stayed for the entire weekend and it was extremely crowded. I think there were 2 or 3 weddings going on. It's a popular venue for weddings, especially in May.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nick and Diana T
Mobile, Alabama
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here 5 nights. Had a nice room wirh river view on the 12 th floor.
Room was clean and spacious. Furniture a bit worn but ok condition. Could use better pillows. The doors slam and you hear the elevator noise too much. The shuttle was good but a few times were running late. Overall very friendly staff including drivers and housekeepers. Great for $99 rate but not so at $150 or more. Trader Joe's 4-5 blocks was good for drinks and food. A few good restaurants nearby too.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank chucksierke
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 22, 2012

To put this review in context, I am a Platinum Priority Club member, with over 360,000 points. I travel a lot, and I stay at the Holiday Inn/Crowne Plaza chain a lot. I don't think my expectations are unreasonable.

I've been traveling to the Washington DC area once or twice a month on business for about three years, and I tend to stay in Alexandria because it's close to my major business partners.

When I first started going to Washington DC, I thought this Crowne Plaza might be my hotel of choice: good location, nice view, decent rooms. But it turned out that on literally every visit I had to make a special trip down to the front desk at least once a day to get me electronic key re-magnetized. No matter how far I kept the key away from anything that could affect it, it lost its magic at least once a day. After a while that got old, and a year or so ago I stopped staying here.

Due to a mistake in scheduling on my part, I recently ended up staying here once again, and I was equally disappointed once again.

I tend to get up very early, and I really enjoy starting the day with an espresso-laden Starbucks latte. Typically I am up before a Starbucks is open, so typically I buy one the night before and microwave it in the morning.

Well, my room at the Crowne Plaza did not have a microwave. It had a refrigerator and other amenities, but no microwave. I went down to the front desk to ask about this. The manager informed me that they don't have enough microwaves for every room, so they move them around. I asked if he would mind trying to locate one for me, and he said he would. He also said that in the event none were available, I could come down in the morning and use the one at the front desk.

I went back to my room, and a while later tried to call the front desk with an question about the Internet. The phone did not work. Neither the internal nor the external circuits would take a call.

As luck would have it, as I was trying to call the front desk, the manager called me to make sure he had the right room number just in case they found a microwave. I gave him my room number, and that was the last I heard about the microwave. I never got one.

I woke up at about 4:30 am, and went down to the front desk with my cold coffee in hand. But when I got there, the desk clerk informed me that the microwave at the front desk was broken. I repeated my story of the night before, and he just shrugged his shoulders.

And so I sat looking out at the beautiful river view, drinking my ice cold coffee as the day began.

Again, my fault for bad scheduling. I will do my very, very best to make sure I don't end up staying here again on future trips.

Room Tip: For business travels and Priority Club members, book early and stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank rwjones52
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

Parking Should be free...but nice and very clean many of the TV channels were snowy and not many channel options, the bathroom was nice... the Lobby is very stylish and staff were very nice...Sleeping on the bed, made me feel like I was in Heaven!!!

Room Tip: Parking should be free, Compl shuttle to Washington National Airport..lots of airline employees stay...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family