“Excellent value & experience”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria
Ranked #26 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
Reviewed April 23, 2012

My family stayed here - 4 in a room with 2 dbl beds. Beds were very comfortable. Others have complained about noise, which we did not experience, but we were there over a weekend when it was not terribly full. Staff helpful. Nice shuttle service to King St. and to airport and metro. We used one of the package deals that allowed free parking. Came with one free brunch - which we did not use since the regular price for the brunch was quite expensive and there are many other nearby options. On-site pub was friendly ... we also had appetizers which were tasty. Internet in room is free is you join the CP rewards program. Would have liked an in-room refrigerator, but you can't have everything! All in all I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: View of the Potomac is not great ... it is obstructed ... probably not worth the extra $$!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank pkinva

Reviewed April 22, 2012

As a woman travelling alone on a 4 day business trip, I found this to be a great hotel. Staff was friendly and helpful. I felt safe both in the hotel and in the neighborhood. A free shuttle to the airport is available. The hotel was spotless, bed very comfortable, linens and towels all of good quality. The room had a small refrigerator, microwave, and coffeemaker. Only thing I didn't care for was the $20 parking charge ($15 if you are a member of the Crowne Plaza reward program. Rooms are expensive - I thought the extra charge for parking was uncalled for. I read other reviews and want to mention that I had no problem with keys, it worked fine every time I used it. I also did not experience any problem with noise from other rooms.

There is a great breakfast buffet ($12.95). On a morning that I wasn't very hungry I asked the waiter if they had a banana muffin. He said he'd check and I said that if they didn't, a croissant would be fine. He brought be both but and after serving me coffee left the carafe on the table for refills. The pub had a nice variety of sandwiches and burgers - both the portobella mushroom burger burger and the crabcake sandwich came with a nice salad or fries and were excellent.

No question that I will stay here again should I be lucky enough to be in Old Alexandria again!

Room Tip: Great view from the upper floor rooms that overlook the Potomac.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank rmmaire
Reviewed April 4, 2012

First time here. I'm usually a Holiday Inn customer but was very pleased. Kudos to Nasra on the front desk who bumped us up to a suite and free buffet. However they still haven't fixed the Key thing and I kept returning for a new key. Lots to do in Old Towne including Restaurants,pubs and walking or boat tours. It was a leisurely 15 min walk to King Street or take the Hotel Shuttle which leaves every hour. We also loved the paved Bike/walking trail that hugged the Potomac river. There were about 4 PC's and no waiting in the lobby. The only activity seemed to be in Old towne. Walking the streets around the hotel I noticed it was very desolate of people. It is a Business area but we were there Sat-Tuesday. Lastly, add a star if you like American History. There's plenty here.

Room Tip: Ask for a free upgrade.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank rick c
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I stayed at this property last month. At check in, I was given keys that did not work. The front desk was understaffed. When I went back for new keys, I had to wait about 20 minutes. On the upside, I was given a river view room, which I had not initially reserved.

The room itself was good. Comfortable bed, enough room for two people, clean bathroom, etc. Unfortunately, the walls were paper thin. A family entered the room next to me around 2AM and I could hear word for word what they were talking about. Also, their baby decided to have a crying fit.

Room service for breakfast was prompt and tasty. I accidentally checked off the wrong beverage on my order ticket and the delivery person kindly went back and got a replacement beverage.

I would not stay here again because of the thin walls. Otherwise it's a perfectly good place with a nice location.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank mkeith03
Reviewed March 22, 2012

The people here are great. Very friendly and helpful. Nice restaurant especially for the breakfast buffet.
Location is a 20 minute walk from trendy King street.
Safe location too
Walk to the Royal Restaurant for good diner food, a la Lucia for fine Italian food is 2 blocks away. Great running trail 15 feet outside the doorway. Van service to Reagan that runs on time.
Downside is you have to pay for in room Internet and there is weak wireless service only.
And most aggravating is that every time you leave your room you need to have a new key made to get back in. They say they're getting new locks but they never seem to actually get here.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank ord737fo
IHGCare, ihgcare at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2012

Dear Ord737fo,

Regards,
Brenda J.
IHGCare

Reviewed March 20, 2012

Extremely sullen receptionist - must have been a bad day ...Hoped to get a good upgrade with my platinum priority club membership. But at 3pm when I checked in the best rooms on the 12th floor overlooking the river had still not been serviced. Free wifi with PC - cost taken off the bill. Got a welcome pack of popcorn an apple and some water at reception - ho hum. The bed was comfortable and had my best sleep of the week but the breakfast was poor. If it wasn't free I would have complained. good packages if you look on the ICH website - I got a night b&b plus free parking for USD129 on a Saturday night. they also provide a shuttle service into the main tourist area of Alexandria which might suit some but it was only 15 mins walk from King St. Try o'connells pub for a lively night - they also show rugby if you are that way inclined.

Room Tip: Ask for 12th floor overlooking the river
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JMHGlobetrotter
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Old Town Alexandria, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2012

JMHGlobetrotter,

Thank you for taking time to comment on your recent stay. It is IHG's goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations and your comments are very important to us. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve. We look forward to hosting you on your next trip!

Ben J
IHG Care

Reviewed March 10, 2012

My most recent stay here shows that reinvesting in the rooms makes a huge difference.

The hotel bar/restaurant was quite a surprise, lots of local beers on tap, nice range of good food and not a per diem crusher.

The front desk staff seem bored, but the place is a decent place to stay and grab some food.

Breakfast is nothing to write home about. Typical buffet and unimpressive menu items.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business