“Will be known as 'my usual' hotel when in D.C./Alexandria area” 5 of 5 bubbles

Kimpton Morrison House
Ranked #14 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Savannah, Georgia
“Will be known as 'my usual' hotel when in D.C./Alexandria area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2010

Everything about our stay here was superb! We checked in 9/17/10, after convenient hotel shuttle pick-up from DCA, and were greeted enthusiastically by the staff, along with "we've complimentary upgraded you to a king suite for your stay". This was our first experience at any Kimpton Hotel - I had just joined their "Kimpton InTouch" membership a couple of days prior to our trip. We had booked a queen suite for 6 nights @ Alexandria's convention/tourism website for an AWESOME internet rate. We felt like we were paying $600/ night with the treatment we received. I ate breakfast each morning at The Grille- it was both delicious and reasonable and the service was extremely attentive. The bed was very comfy, my husband and I slept very well our entire stay. You cannot beat the location- convenient to Old Town restaurants, shops, waterfront on one end of King St, the metro rail station the other end. My husband and I walked all over and it was quite safe and pleasurable. There is also the King St Trolley running 1130am-10pm from metro station to waterfront with many stops along the way= for those who need a break from putting in a lot of walking already. This is a five star, world class hotel. I had also looked at the Monaco and Lorien, other Kimpton hotels in the area, but I believe we were in the BEST location. The Monaco would be my 2nd pick if the Morrison House is booked. I wish I knew all the staffs' names to THANK THEM ALL for their kindness- this place KNOWS and exemplifies service. For all my return trips to the DC area, guess where I'll be sure to stay? Thank you Morrison House team for making our vacation so wonderful! You will see us again!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
morrison_house, General Manager at Kimpton Morrison House, responded to this review, September 27, 2010
Dear GATravler007,

I’m glad that you had a great experience at our Hotel during your recent six day stay with us. It was a smart move from you to sign up for our loyalty program Kimpton in Touch as it gives great perks to all travelers such as: Complementary Internet access, a $10 coupon for the honor bar and most importantly the personal touch. We are trying to personalize the experience of all of our Kimpton In Touch members based on the preferences they shared with us. This might include room location, pillow types, likes and dislikes as well as special occasions. In your case it even resulted in a complementary upgrade to one of our suites. I truly hope to get the opportunity to welcome your back in the near future. Please contact me directly the next time you are planning to be in the area. I would like to thank you personally for the great review and the nice picture you posted.

Yours,

Tobias

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Burlington, Kentucky
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2010

This was our first stay at the Morrison House. The room was comfortable, clean, and well stocked. A/C worked well. Maid service was excellent. All staff members were wonderful. Very helpful and friendly. Right in the heart of Old Town. Midway between the Metro and the river. Very safe area. Had breakfast at The Grille. Was OK. Very pricey for eggs and bacon. Recommend very highly.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2010

We are happy to chime in along with all of the other great reviews of the Morrison House hotel in Alexandria. Customer service from all staff members was top notch. Our room was a smaller queen room but was still plenty spacious with an awesome bathroom with his-and-hers sinks. We had cookies on our bed upon arrival and turn-down service each night. The hotel is simply gorgeous, inside and out. It's hard to say anything that hasn't been said already (yes, they love to call you by your name) but if there's one thing we would recommend experiencing at this hotel is the piano bar. We walked in late on a Tuesday night and were simply blown away by the "sing-a-long" going on in the bar. Well-dressed people from their 20's to 80's were crammed into the bar taking turns at the mic to sing the classic piano songs of yore. It was a fantastic experience. The hotel's location is ideal, just off of Old Town King Street. We walked to breakfast in the morning and dinner at night. The Metro station is 10 blocks away so it's a bit of a hike but there is a free trolley that runs the length of King Street that helped make that trek easier. If you are going to stay in Alexandria, stay here. We found a great deal on Expedia and actually overheard some other people on the street, in front of another Kimpton property, say, "We should have stayed at the Morrison House."

1 Thank Misha22
Irvine, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2010

Location is great since it's steps from my company's Alexandria office but maybe a little bit distance from the main Alexandria restaurants ...

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2010

I hosted my small September wedding at the Morrison House and stayed at the beautiful hotel for three days. The experience was perfect, from top to bottom.

I was a little stressed prior to checking in late on a Friday evening and phoned the hotel to request they hold my reservation. They immediately recognized my name and provided me with a warm greeting and assurance that they would not release my room. My experience with the Morrison House was wonderful before I even arrived!

Check-in was seamless, despite a very large and loud cocktail party happening in the lobby simultaneously! The bell and valet service at the hotel were consistantly excellent throughout my stay. My family and I were always greeted warmly and by name. Service was not only top-notch, but also sincere. The public areas truly reflect the historic nature of the hotel, but also have a funky twist in keeping with the Kimpton brand. Also, the hotel smells amazing... I'm not sure what they are doing, but it is working!

I selected a one-bedroom suite for my stay. All rooms have King or Queen sized four-poster beds, which are really in keeping with the decor of the hotel. The "living room" was also a good size with two couches and a large flat screen television. There was ample room for moving around, which worked well for my bridal party while getting dressed. The bathroom was on the smaller/older side, but it was perfectly acceptable. The only drawback was the older, nailed-to-the-wall hair dryer. I expected something a bit more powerful and modern from a luxury hotel. Regardless, it didn't affect my experience.

The actual wedding went off without a hitch - the Catering team at the hotel were outstanding. We had our ceremony in front of the building and they did a great job of taking guests on a detour through the side entrance. The food and beverage was wonderful in taste and presentation. We received so many compliments. Service was prompt, but unobtrusive.

There is a piano bar in the restaurant ("The Grille", I believe?) where are guests convened post-wedding. It was so lively and again the service was lovely. We were in celebration mode and the bar-tenders totally appreciated that and were able to keep up with our drink orders.

I honestly can't say how much I love the Morrison House. I was excited, but very nervous for my big day. I work in events, so I know how much goes into keeping a bride happy and making sure any mistakes (which inevitabley happen) go unnoticed by guests. The Morrison House did a perfect job. I actually got to experience and enjoy my wedding because I was not at all worried about anything going wrong. I would highly recommend this hotel for a special event or accommodations. Six stars!

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank CityGirl610
binghamton ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2010

Stayed at the Morrison House for 3 nights[9/2-9/5]. It is a fantastic hotel. Staff go out of there way to serve you. Hotel is conveniently located near King St; about half way to Metro and the waterfront. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
morrison_house, General Manager at Kimpton Morrison House, responded to this review, September 7, 2010
Dear creagh5,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel. My team and I are very excited that you enjoyed your recent experience with us and we hope to welcome you back soon. Please do not hesitate ton contact me directly if there is anything I can assist you with in the future.

Respectfully,

Tobias Arff
Montgomery, AL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2010

Morrison house is pretty much everything you look for: comfortable, friendly, well-appointed, unique. And it's in a great location...steps from King Street in Old Town Alexandria. The people who run this hotel are from the old school. They have attention to detail. They are focused on the guest. The whole experience is very personalized. I have nothing negative to say about this hotel. I highly recommended it.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business