“My first stay here --> Wonderful!”

Morrison House, Autograph Collection
Ranked #18 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
“My first stay here --> Wonderful!”
Reviewed July 11, 2009

Once again I begin a review by saying what a hotel is not: It is not a 5-star property.

Now, after getting that out of the way, this is a wonderful hotel, very conveniently located (for Old Town Alexandria visits), staffed with employees who give outstanding attention and service.

The rooms are clean and comfortable. The bathroom in 407 was small, basic, but spotless and servicable.

I can easily recommend this property with no hesitancy. By the way, if you see pictures of the hotel's front entrance and the staircase is a concern, there is elevator accessibility to the lobby and rooms.

Kimpton Hotels has become my favorite group. Morrison House is another reason for Kimpton to retain my growing loyalty. Lorien (to the left up King Street) and Monaco (to the right down King Street) are also solid choices for Old Town Alexandria.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 21, 2009
Dear DonWest48,

On behalf of the staff of the Morrison House I wanted to write to thank you for the comments you provided about your recent experience at our property. We appreciate the kind feedback about about our staff and we're also grateful for the photos you included. Based upon the first image you posted, we've decided to keep the flameless candles in our fireplace on at all times. It's definitely brightened that room up, thank you for the extra set of eyes.

If there’s any assistance I may provide in ensuring the Morrison House remains your hotel of choice whenever you’re in Alexandria please don’t hesitate in contacting me directly at the hotel. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.

Morrison House Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Chambersburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 28, 2009

We just returned from a weekend stay at the Morrison and had a wonderful time. Everyone was friendly and willing to go the extra mile to help up. Rosen, the bartender was great and we had a good time discussing different beers! I highly recommend this enchanting hotel. The wife and I will be visiting again in the near future!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ccg1978
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 2, 2009
Dear ccg1978,

On behalf of the staff of the Morrison House I wanted to write to thank you for the comments you provided about your recent experience at our property. I'm grateful for your comments about Rosen at our bar and agree he's a very special part of our success. He recently found a new beer from a microbrewery based right here in Virginia, I'd definitely recommend you stop in and give it a chance during your next trip. Rosen is very excited about it!

Boynton Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 25, 2009

We have stayed at the Morrison House Hotel many times over the last 10 years. In fact, we were married there in October of 1999. At the time of our wedding and up to a few years ago the hotel was privately owned and was then purchased by the Kimpton Hotel Chain. It is centrally located on a quiet side street one block away from the main street in Alexandria. It is within walking distance to the metro into Washington. The building has an old world charm to it without actally being old. The staff are friendly. The rooms are on the small side but were clean and the mattress extremely comfortable. Great bath towels and L'Occitane bath products.

Be prepared to pay top dollar for food and beverages. Our breakfast of juice, eggs, toast and coffee came to $45 with tip. A beer and martini at the bar $27.00. Parking is an additional $20/nite.

One of the things that always impressed me on previous visits was the way I was greeted when I pulled up to the hotel. There was always someone watching out the front door who would then run down and get my bags and at times even greet me by name. Upon our arrival this time, we had to look for someone to take the car and bring in the bags. We got the feeling that the hotel was understaffed both at our arrival and departure.

If you are looking for a romantic getaway and price is not an issue, you should definitely try the Morrison House.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Childrens1,

On behalf of the staff of the Morrison House I wanted to write to thank you for the comments you provided about your recent experience at our property. I was especially happy to see that you're returning as an old friend of the Morrison House; we have many couples that have been married at our hotel return to see us. I have no doubt even 10 years later you saw many familiar faces on our staff.

I want to also acknowledge your feedback regarding the perception of staffing presence and apologize for any impact that may have had during your stayl. We have not had major changes to our staffing levels and it could have been that our Butlers were assisting other guests on arrival. To ensure that we don't have any guests inconvenienced by that issue, we've recently installed a signal bell in our courtyard for guests arriving. Ringing it will bring additional staff to assist with luggage, our management team and myself included!

Massachusetts
Reviewed June 10, 2009

We have stayed at many very nice hotels, and there have been times when they were not able to honor their regular check-in time, so we were very pleased that the Front Desk Manager at the Morrison House made an extra effort to get the early check-in we requested.

My daughter was arriving in VA at 10:40AM, after a red-eye flight from Seattle. She needed to get some rest so she could participate in early evening events. Without that much required rest she never would have enjoyed her very brief stay in VA. We truly appreciate the extra effort made by the Front Desk Manager, and we will definitely stay at the Morrison House on our next visit!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, June 13, 2009
Dear WhiskasMassachusetts,

On behalf of the staff of the Morrison House I wanted to write to thank you for the comments you provided about your recent experience at our property. I was especially happy to about the assistance our Front Desk Manager and team were able to lend your family in ensuring they had enough rest to be ready for their special event. We're happy to help in any way we can!

Miami, FL
Reviewed June 9, 2009

Stayed here for 8 mights for a mixed business/leisure trip to DC. The hotel staff was incredibly warm and friendly from the moment I walked through the door, and did not hesitate to accommodate any requests. The rooms were spacious, comfortable, and the bed was heavenly. I could not have imagined a more refreshing change from the large chains, and will definitely continue to try Kimpton properties wherever I go.

We had the opportunity to dine at the hotel restaurant one night - also an experience not to be missed. Absolutely delicious food, perfectly prepared, in a quiet and elegant setting.

The metro station is a good 8 block walk along King Street, but it is good exercise and a charming walk.

Everyone from the desk to the waitstaff in the restaurant was friendly and professional and made a long stay utterly enjoyable.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank BronteJD
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, June 10, 2009
Dear BronteJD,

On behalf of the staff of the Morrison House I wanted to write to thank you for the comments you provided about your recent experience at our property. I was especially happy to read your feedback given the length of your visit; thank you for spending a week with us. I encourage you to check out more Kimpton Hotels in your future travels, where you'll find the same great service.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed May 24, 2009

This is a lovely small hotel in a great location. Staff was welcoming and friendly. Early check-in and late check-out were no problem. Our room was elegant. comfortable and quiet. The bed was fabulous. Bathroom lovely. Plenty of hot water and good water pressure. Lots of light for reading. A ten minute walk from the Amtrak station! My only gripe was that they ran out of portable coffee cups in the morning so that I had to use china mugs to bring coffee back to the room. But the coffee itself was way better than what is usually available in a hotel lobby and the staff were great about finding me large enough mugs so that I didn't have to try to bring coffee up to the room in small cups. Actually the staff was great about everything. We dress very casually and sometimes staff at upscale hotels get snotty and offputting if you turn up in jeans but everybody here was fabulous and friendly.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, May 26, 2009
Dear Phoebe Zamboni,

As General Manager of the Morrison House I wanted to write to thank you for the comments you provided regarding your recent experience at our hotel. I'm especially happy to read of the friendliness of our staff; we take great pride in the spirit of our service at the Morrison House and want to make sure that everyone in our community feels welcome in our home.

I also appreciate the feedback regarding the coffee cups during the morning coffee service. We'll be sure to have more available moving forward. I also wanted to let you know to look forward to additional offerings for our guests; we've recently launched complimentary service of cold teas and light appetizers daily from 5:00pm - 6:00pm. It's another way we wanted to thank all of the guests of the Morrison House for their loyalty and patronage.

Thank you again for your feedback and we’re looking forward to seeing you soon. If there’s any assistance I may provide in ensuring the Morrison House remains your hotel of choice whenever you’re in Alexandria please don’t hesitate in contacting me directly.

crozet, va
Reviewed May 18, 2009

From the moment my friend and I stepped out of the car we knew this was a special place. We loved the charm and warmth of the place and the staff. Everyone who worked there took the time to answer our questions and make suggestions. We enjoyed our conversations with the friendly staff and the hotel guests. The room was comfortable and had everything we needed with a sweet touch. This location was perfect for a short cab ride to the Birchmere and then upon our return we could walk to the nightlife and home again. We loved everything about this beautiful hotel as if it was a dream! We would reccomend this hotel to anyone we liked, if it really exists!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, May 22, 2009
Yes Genaud, it really exists. On behalf of the staff of the Morrison House I wanted to write to thank you for the comments you provided regarding your recent experience at our property. I'm especially happy to read of the friendliness of our staff and how moved you were by your experience at our hotel.