“A Great Place to Stay”

Morrison House, Autograph Collection
Ranked #16 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 24, 2009

This is a lovely small hotel in a great location. Staff was welcoming and friendly. Early check-in and late check-out were no problem. Our room was elegant. comfortable and quiet. The bed was fabulous. Bathroom lovely. Plenty of hot water and good water pressure. Lots of light for reading. A ten minute walk from the Amtrak station! My only gripe was that they ran out of portable coffee cups in the morning so that I had to use china mugs to bring coffee back to the room. But the coffee itself was way better than what is usually available in a hotel lobby and the staff were great about finding me large enough mugs so that I didn't have to try to bring coffee up to the room in small cups. Actually the staff was great about everything. We dress very casually and sometimes staff at upscale hotels get snotty and offputting if you turn up in jeans but everybody here was fabulous and friendly.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2009

Dear Phoebe Zamboni,

As General Manager of the Morrison House I wanted to write to thank you for the comments you provided regarding your recent experience at our hotel. I'm especially happy to read of the friendliness of our staff; we take great pride in the spirit of our service at the Morrison House and want to make sure that everyone in our community feels welcome in our home.

I also appreciate the feedback regarding the coffee cups during the morning coffee service. We'll be sure to have more available moving forward. I also wanted to let you know to look forward to additional offerings for our guests; we've recently launched complimentary service of cold teas and light appetizers daily from 5:00pm - 6:00pm. It's another way we wanted to thank all of the guests of the Morrison House for their loyalty and patronage.

Thank you again for your feedback and we’re looking forward to seeing you soon. If there’s any assistance I may provide in ensuring the Morrison House remains your hotel of choice whenever you’re in Alexandria please don’t hesitate in contacting me directly.

Reviewed May 18, 2009

From the moment my friend and I stepped out of the car we knew this was a special place. We loved the charm and warmth of the place and the staff. Everyone who worked there took the time to answer our questions and make suggestions. We enjoyed our conversations with the friendly staff and the hotel guests. The room was comfortable and had everything we needed with a sweet touch. This location was perfect for a short cab ride to the Birchmere and then upon our return we could walk to the nightlife and home again. We loved everything about this beautiful hotel as if it was a dream! We would reccomend this hotel to anyone we liked, if it really exists!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2009

Yes Genaud, it really exists. On behalf of the staff of the Morrison House I wanted to write to thank you for the comments you provided regarding your recent experience at our property. I'm especially happy to read of the friendliness of our staff and how moved you were by your experience at our hotel.

Reviewed April 30, 2009

I enjoyed the Morrison House immensely as I returned as a business traveler for the D.C. area recently. The Hotel is minutes from the Reagan/National Hotel (you can even take the Metro!) and it is linked to all of D.C by Metro or taxi. The room costs are usually lower than those for comparable lodgings in the District.

The hotel itself is small and comfortable with exceedingly friendly staff and excellent service. Located in a quiet neighborhood (I slept with both windows open in my corner room), the hotel has the most comfortable mattresses imaginable. I love the human-scale of the Morrison House and the surrounding neighborhood.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business

Dear Hillary_9,

As General Manager of the Morrison House I wanted to write to thank you for the comments you provided regarding your recent experience at our property. I'm especially happy to read of the friendliness of our staff; we take great pride in the spirit of our service at the Morrison House. I also enjoyed hearing about the comfort of our beds. If you'd like to take home more than just memories of a Kimpton Hotel, feel free to shop for one of our beds in the Kimpton Style section of the Kimpton Hotels website.

Reviewed April 23, 2009

Like everyone else we loved the Morrison House. It is a lovely, small hotel with an incredible staff - it took me about a nanosecond to get used to the world's friendliest doorman. I've been trying to have the family open the door for me since we got home and it's not working... We had a suite as we were travelling with our daughters. The bedroom had a king size bed was absolute bliss, a dresser with flat screen tv and two side tables and two nice windows that opened (a pet peeve of mine...love that fresh air). A normal bathroom with shower over tub, marble counter and two sinks- nothing special and a living room area with another television and two couches. The only strange thing was that we looked directly into an office building across a small alley and there was a woman who worked constantly...I guess you get used to this living in the city but we are used to looking out our window at nature...just make sure you have one of the cool leapard print robes on before you open the windows because the working woman across the way can see everything :). We loved the piano playing and singing in the evenings and the friendly bartender. I especially loved the elegant coffee service in the morning - beautiful silver coffee urns and excellent tea choice, cream, milk, sugar... I would absolutely have loved a big pile of flaky croissants but alas had to go out into the streets to find that. They have several papers in the two lovely salons to sip your coffee and check in on the world - or you can take your coffee back to bed because a paper was also waiting at your door. One thing I would like to point out is that it is 8 blocks to the metro...we are very fast walkers and it was a good 15 minute fast walk. The so-called Trolley never passed us in four days of hoofing it along King Street. The bonus is that King Street is adorable with charming shops - fun looking at the windows even at the quick trot to the metro. Metro is easy....yellow line dumps you in the center of the National Mall in 15 minutes. Even so...if you only have two or three days in DC you might want to consider this extra commute time....we had four days and wound up always in DC without time to enjoy the charm of Alexandria except for the restaurants of which our favorite was the Majestic Cafe - dine there if you can - fabulous! We didn't dine at Morrison House and somewhat regret it....they had a little Shakespeare contest - if you could answer some questions about Shakespeare on a card they gave you a coupon for a free appetizer....I jokingly attempted to answer the questions in front of the hotel clerk whilst reading the card and actually got them all correct (who woud have thought?). He handed me the coupons and I didn't think anything of it.... our daughter mentioned that we hadn't used them by the last night (always looking for a deal) so we went down, ordered some wine and were served large, delicious appetizers - mussels with french fries and pork cheeks and sauteed leeks. I was floored...I thought I'd get a little crostini or something! Needless to say we tipped large on that freebie. We were too exhausted to have a big dinner that night but next time we are enjoying the chef at the Morrison House. We used the Metro to get to a baseball game one night and it was incredibly easy and quick...fun if you have kids - friday nights they shoot off fireworks after the game.
I'll definitely stay at the Morrison House again and take advantage of the bike trail all the way to Mt. Vernon and a boat on the Potomac and some other non-DC activities (as much fun as they were...)

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2009

Dear Calzini06,

As General Manager of the Morrison House I wanted to thank you for the comments you provided regarding your recent experience at our property. I'm extremely grateful for the depth and detail about your stay with us; I felt I was reading about us in a travel guide!

I was very happy to see your feedback regarding our Butlers and agree that they a very special part of our success at the Morrison House. I'll be sure that we pass along your feedback to them and thank them for another job well done.

I also appreciate the feedback regarding your experience in our restaurant. Our Piano Bar is a staple of our community and is an extremely enjoyable way to spend an evening with us, whether you're staying in the hotel or not. I'm also happy to hear you enjoyed our Shakespeare contest and the rewards that come along with it.

Thank you again for your comments and we’re looking forward to seeing you back soon. Let me know when you're joining us again and I'll be sure to have croissants waiting for you in the morning.

Reviewed April 20, 2009

We stayed almost a week here and the hotel was wonderful with great service. Jose at the door was most helpful in planning our day trips as he was so knowledgeable about the sites in Washington DC. The fruit, cookies and glass of complimentary wine when we arrived was lovely and much appreciated. Our King room was spacious with flat screen TV and the added benefit of a two sink vanity with the wonderful French products. The King size bed was luxurious and comfortable. Our room on the top floor at the end of the building provided lots of light and was quiet as well. The maid service is excellent and everything is kept very clean. Location between the Metro at one end of King to the Potomac River at the other end of King, made walking everywhere easy. The only reason we gave the hotel 4 starts instead of 5, was the Grille Restaurant. When we ate there for one dinner, they were out of a selection we wanted and the waitress was not helpful in describing dishes and presentation. Also we are serious martini fans, and the ones here were just awful even though we were specific on the gin and how we wanted them. They tasted watered down at best. Also breakfast was very expensive as two coffees and two cereals were over $18 not counting tip. We never ate another meal there because of these things as there are so many choices on King Street. This is the only disappointment we had at this hotel. Instead of going to the restaurant in the morning, we had coffee in the Parlor and read the WSJ's provided there which was relaxing and nice before we headed out for the day. Also $20/day for parking seemed rather steep. We would, however, recommend this boutique hotel for all the best reasons of service, friendliness, cleanliness and charming interior spaces.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2009

Dear OHgram,

As General Manager of the Morrison House I wanted to write to thank you for the comments you provided regarding your recent experience at our property. I'm extremely grateful for the depth and detail about your stay with us, as it will allow us to continually improve our product.

I was very happy to see your feedback regarding our Butler Jose and agree that he's a very special part of our success at the Morrison House. I'll be sure that we pass along your feedback to him and thank him for another job well done.

I also appreciate your honest feedback regarding your experience in our restaurant. I will share it with my colleagues and assure you that we will use it as a training tool for our service presentation as well as a review of our drink preparation. I also want to thank you for your comments about our parking charges. We have reviewed the costs of overnight parking at our hotel and found them to be in line with many of the local hotels in our community. I'd encourage that for future stays please review our 'Specials and Packages' page on our website. We have offers that include parking, as well as some other great alternatives to driving here such as our 'Ride the Rails' promotion. Being an eco friendly company, we also discount parking for all guests that arrive in a hybrid vehicle.

R Hannigan

Reviewed April 20, 2009

From the moment I stepped out of my cab, they knew my name and attended to my every request with ease. I thought my hotel room had been paid for by my client on-line, yet it was only reserved and they put me up for the night and allowed me to have dinner in the dining room while waiting for them to fax over the necessary information the next day. They were especially careful not to charge me personal card for anything. When I needed cash for cabs I was able to sign for it and be on my way. Also, I needed breakfast early one morning and my cab on time in order to make my appointment on Capitol Hill, I let them know this and everything was done on time. Not only were they helpful, but they made feel respected, and the waite staff followed my mood and were entertaining while I had dinner alone in the dining room making me feel as if I had company yet respecting my space. I have stayed at the Hay Adams, the Mandarin, the Georgetown Ritz, and the Morrison House never fails to give me the best experience due to their personalized perfect service! Oh, and the food is outstanding, right up there with Citronelle only less expensive and more flavorful! They don't have a fitness center, but you can't beat the views for running in Alexandria!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business

Dear CapitolGirl,

As General Manager of the Morrison House I wanted to write to thank you for the comments you provided regarding your recent experience at our property. I'm especially happy to read of the friendliness and responsiveness of our staff; we take great pride in the spirit of our service at the Morrison House.

Robert Hannigan

Reviewed April 17, 2009

We thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the Morrison House Hotel.
My wife, Birgitta, and I love Alexandria and this hotel is one of the true
gems of the city.
My wife is from Europe and we are accustomed to
the small, often charming, inns which are popular there; and we have
also stayed at some larger "top of the line" deluxe properties. The
Morrison House combines the best of both of these worlds, beautifully

Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2009

Dear RobertBirgitta,

As General Manager of the Morrison House I wanted to write to thank you for the comments you provided regarding your recent experience at our property. We were very pleased to see your comparison of our hotel with the great service tradition of European hotels as well as top of the line American luxury properties. At the Morrison House we do our best to personalize the stay of each of our guests. Thank you again for your comments and we’re looking forward to seeing you back soon.

Morrison House