All reviewsold town alexandriaking streetboutique hotelsmall hotelcorner roommini barfavorite hotelthe entire staffvalet parkingstreet parkingroom was clean and comfortableshops and restaurantsdc areahappy hourfree trolleykimptonturndown
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Checked in and was told that the only room available (at a premium price) was in the basement level. The tiny elevator took me down to the subterranean level, where the carpet was old and stained, and the entire floor smells like a recent flood. The furniture is like a 1980's Sheraton, complete with chocolate brown toilet and tub. This is gross - shouldn't be in the Kimpton family. Staff is pleasant though, which is nice.

Room Tip: Try to stay on an upper floor - it must be better.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank J P
Kate E, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Dear J P,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that you werent satisfied with the decor of your room. Our staff prides itself on service and cleanliness and I assure you that we strive to provide this to every guest that walks through our doors. I would be happy to personally assist you with your next booking to find something that best fits your requests if you would like to call me directly at the hotel.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

I have been coming to the Morrison House over the years and have slowly watched it go downhill. The last time I was there I was put in the basement. There was mold on the walls and the place smelled. When I alerted them to this...they said there were no more rooms and that since I have applied the AAA discount...that I was not eligible for a better room.
She BLAMED ME for the bad room............hence......I asked for the AAA rate!
I will never go back

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Pennygizmo

Dear Pennygizmo,

I am sorry that you did not enjoy your stay back in September Thank you for sharing the feedback with us so we can continue to improve. When you are ready to come back to Morrison House I would be happy to personally oversee the details for your reservation with your AAA discount and a great room if you'd please contact me directly at the hotel.

I hope to hear from you soon,

Reviewed June 14, 2014

We chose this hotel because of it's location, within walking distance of most restaurants and the dockside in Old Town. The service was top notch, and the hotel had some special features like tea in the afternoon and free wine from 5 - 6 PM. It has an "Old South" feel but was built in 1985 and has all the modern conveniences. This hotel is an excellent value with most rooms under $150/night. Suggest you upgrade to a room with a king bed.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a room on a high floor with a king bed.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Don M,

Thank you for your wonderful review! I am glad you were able to enjoy our hotel, amenities, service and location. Sounds like a winning combination to me!

Reviewed June 10, 2014

I stayed at the Morrison House for a short trip to DC and was pleasantly surprised by the size of the rooms given some of the feedback listed in reviews. I stayed in a King DLX room which was extremely clean. The bathroom showed some signs of wear (cracked toilet seat/outdated tub) although was updated and also of a decent size. The room service was excellent and the restaurant staff did a wonderful job explaining the virtues of the various entrees on the menu.

I also wanted to commend Rachelle in guest services who was extremely helpful and provided wonderful service.

If my travels take me to this part of VA again, I would certainly stay at the Morrison House again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Dear Sarah F,

Thank you so much for your review and great comments about our staff. I agree that they are a special part of our success! We'd be happy to have you again any time you are back in VA!

Reviewed June 9, 2014

If you're used to staying in Kimpton hotels don't expect this to be as funky. It's a very nice hotel with beautiful communal areas but the rooms in basement are a little worn around the edges. There was a chunk missing from the door frame in the bathroom and the lid of toilet cistern was cracked. Having said that though, it's still a lovely hotel and you can't fault the staff who are extremely helpful. The complimentary wine hour and coffee in the morning are a nice touch. It's in a great location and is very nice with a more traditional feel than the usual Kimpton experience.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear cp-k-v,

Thank you for your lovely review of our hotel and staff. You're right that we're not as funky as some other Kimpton Hotels you may know, but we still offer the same wine services, coffee and attention that you appreciate. We appreciate you staying with us and hope to see you at another Kimpton Hotel (maybe even ours!) again very soon.