“Great location with superior customer service” 5 of 5 bubbles

Morrison House, Autograph Collection
Ranked #19 of 53 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Encinitas, California
“Great location with superior customer service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2014

I stayed at the Morrison House for a short trip to DC and was pleasantly surprised by the size of the rooms given some of the feedback listed in reviews. I stayed in a King DLX room which was extremely clean. The bathroom showed some signs of wear (cracked toilet seat/outdated tub) although was updated and also of a decent size. The room service was excellent and the restaurant staff did a wonderful job explaining the virtues of the various entrees on the menu.

I also wanted to commend Rachelle in guest services who was extremely helpful and provided wonderful service.

If my travels take me to this part of VA again, I would certainly stay at the Morrison House again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Kate E, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear Sarah F,

Thank you so much for your review and great comments about our staff. I agree that they are a special part of our success! We'd be happy to have you again any time you are back in VA!

Kate

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Cheltenham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

If you're used to staying in Kimpton hotels don't expect this to be as funky. It's a very nice hotel with beautiful communal areas but the rooms in basement are a little worn around the edges. There was a chunk missing from the door frame in the bathroom and the lid of toilet cistern was cracked. Having said that though, it's still a lovely hotel and you can't fault the staff who are extremely helpful. The complimentary wine hour and coffee in the morning are a nice touch. It's in a great location and is very nice with a more traditional feel than the usual Kimpton experience.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear cp-k-v,

Thank you for your lovely review of our hotel and staff. You're right that we're not as funky as some other Kimpton Hotels you may know, but we still offer the same wine services, coffee and attention that you appreciate. We appreciate you staying with us and hope to see you at another Kimpton Hotel (maybe even ours!) again very soon.

Chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

I've always wanted to try this hotel. I frequently stay at the Lorien but the Morrison House had more favorable rates this time. I was not disappointed this is a great property. Polar opposite from the modern trendy feel of the Lorien, Morrison House is a walk back in time with very traditional furnishings embracing its rich history... Right down to the huge metal keys. My four post bed was amazing. The location is superb. King Street is steps away. The staff is friendly and accommodating. If I had one complaint and I would not call it a complaint really just a personal preference... I was placed on the first floor which is actually one floor down from the main lobby and it's essentially garden level. I had a half window and could see people's feet in the main garden out front. Would have liked to have been on a higher floor. All in all I was pleased and would recommend this property to anyone looking for a great Alexandria hotel.

Room Tip: Try to stay away from the 1st floor.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Sombrero26
Kate E, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear Sombrero26,

Thank you so much for taking the oportunity to try and experience Morrison Hosue! We are glad to hear that you noticed and appreciated the differences between our Kimpton Hotels, and are glad that we can offer something for everyone. We do allow reservatiosn to guarantee rooms on our upper floors, and if I can ever be of assistance in booking a future stay, please do not hesiate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 3,876 helpful votes
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014

My husband and I spent our first two nights as a married couple here, and we thoroughly enjoyed the accommodations! Hotel staff were friendly and accommodating, the room was large and beautiful, and we felt very pampered during our stay. It's centrally located in Old Town Alexandria, so take advantage of all there is to do and see while you're here! I can definitely recommend it!

2 Thank QuickWhitTravel
Kate E, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, May 30, 2014
Dear WhitO,

Congratulations! We were so excited to be a part of such a special occasion. Thank you for choosing to stay with us, and please let me know if you can make it back to celebrate next year!

St. Petersburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2014

When trying to find words to describe our stay at the Morrison House I can't find the perfect word.
Outstanding, Perfect, Unbelievable, Memorable are all words failing to pinpoint just how great our visit was.
From the moment we walked in the door we were greeted by Kate and her entire staff assembled to wish us a happy anniversary. The entire stay remained at that level of person service and attention.
Chef Gary was able to provide me with my personal favorite meal. Behind the bar, Grant took pride in his skills. We could name each staff member individually, everyone of them deserves kudos.
Our room was clean and comfortable and well maintained daily, no complaints at all.
Kate and her staff suggested dining spots that were excellent choices.
The one hesitation that we had prior to our visit was location since our trip was designed around touring D.C.. That was quickly answered by the free King Street trolley and the Metro system into the city. The trolley has limited, but reasonable, hours yet the walk to the Metro station was an easy 10 minutes.
Without a doubt, the next visit we make to that area, the Morrison House in Old Town will be the only choice of hotels.

Room Tip: We enjoyed a 5th floor room.
2 Thank CHOPPERCAM
Dear Choppercam,

It was an absolute pleasure celebrating your anniversary with both of you. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we sincerely hope that we will see you again soon!

Rhode Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014

My husband and I visit Alexandria, VA, Old Town, several times a year to see our daughter and son-in-law. We usually stay at the Monaco but decided to stay at the Morrison House, another Kimpton Hotel, during our last visit. The Morrison House, which is well-located, is supposed to be a four-stay hotel but we didn't think so. We upgraded to a suite, which was spacious but lacked a full-length mirror. We asked for a mirror and were brought a wall mirror, not a full-length one, which they leaned against the wall. Apparently there wasn't a full-length mirror available, which made dressing difficult. The suite lacked natural light even though the weather was sunny and beautiful for the most part. In the bedroom, there was a nail sticking out of the wall, with nothing hanging on it, a real eyesore. The elevator could use sprucing up (major scratches on the walls). There was no wine reception on Saturday night because of a wedding.

We really like Kimpton hotels, for the most part, and were very disappointed with this one. Next time we'll go back to the Monaco.

Dear LNG7,

We were all so sorry to hear that we werent able to make your stay as exceptional as you have come to expect. We do hope that you will come back to visit any of the Kimpton Hotels in the area in the future and allow us to give you the best experience.

Chicago, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2014

I am going to echo some of the past reviews and highly recommend that when booking with this hotel, avoid the basement rooms. For $229, having a basement room is so not worth the money. When I reviewed this hotel last year, I had such a wonderful experience, but I was also on the upper floors. Due to my great experience, I was so excited to book this hotel for a couple vacation. This time around however, I too had a corner basement room and my fiance' and I were not totally happy when we discovered that our room was in the basement, but decided to give it a chance. On a Friday night, around 2AM, we awoke to moving chairs and loud noises from above. I complained to the front desk on Saturday morning and they assured me that the noise would not happen again. At around midnight on Saturday, we awoke to the same noise. Finally, I asked for another room, and they were accommodating and gave us a 5th floor room on our last night. For the amount of complaints the hotel has received regarding the basement rooms, I don't understand why the staff keeps on booking these rooms, especially when they know the room is right under the lounge/bar area. Overall, the rest of the staff is wonderful and the hotel is in a great location, just make sure you don't get stuck in the basement!

Room Tip: Don't book the basement rooms!
1 Thank Dawn R
Dear Dawn R,

Thank you for the feedback from your recent stay. While we do have some rooms that are below the lobby level, our staff always does everything possible to honor requests made on reservations. I encourage anyone booking a reservation to consider the deluxe rooms which gurantee rooms on the top floors of the hotel. If you are in the area again, please feel free to give us a call and we would be happy to help with future reservations.