“An out of the way hideaway”

Morrison House, Autograph Collection
Ranked #15 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 7, 2014

About two blocks off of King Street, close to absolutely everything in Alexandria, including the Metro connection to the Baseball Stadium. Rooms are a good size, everything IN the room worked well, wifi performed as expected, no glitches, no down time.

Good continental breakfast made a great start to the day and left room for street food and stadium food.

One of our fellow guests was a Landseer Newfoundland and we got to pet him and get a couple of very refined woofs. Next time we are bringing our terriers....they will fit right in!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank nigel'smom
Kate E, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

Dear nigel'smom,

Thank you so much for the review! We are excited for your "next time" too, and can't wait to meet your terriers. Please don't wait too long to come back, we have plenty of baseball weekends left!

Cheers,

Reviewed April 22, 2014

Their "first floor" is a basement floor, below the lobby level. A couple of their receptionists even tried to argue with me that I'm on the "ground floor, not the basement floor." When the window, at eye level, look out to the asphalt line of a dark alleyway, and straight on at recycle bins that haven't moved all week in the day time, it is not "ground level."

My room is an "upgraded" corner room, which, instead of one small window looking at one alley, is now two directions facing two dark alleys. Yay me. I did not feel comfortable or safe with my placement and made that clear to the staff. I asked my room to be changed each day. While I can understand they were fully booked, they did not make an effort to offer me an alternative in one of the other two Kimpton hotels, just 5 minutes walk each direction from the Morrison House, which I asked for.

The basement was bad enough, but I was directly below the bar. So I was listening to heels clacking on the hardwood flooring directly above me into the late night hours. For someone with hearing loss, that's saying a lot. Then I was also surrounded by service closets on both sides, so I hear the movements when the house keeping staff came through in the morning to set up.

I didn't have a single restful night. As I was traveling on business and had meetings all week long, I had to check out early to go to another hotel to get any semblance of sleep. I had been a loyal Kimpton member.. this definitely killed my enthusiasm for the chain, and, hands down, one of the most disappointing in the area. I echo the complaints of the Dec 2013 reviewer- run if you find out your room is on the first floor.

Room Tip: Don't agree to a basement level room.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
7  Thank Jade_Unearthed
Kate E, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2014

Dear Jade,

I am sorry to hear that our avaialble rooms did not live up to your expectations. We try our best through for all of our reservations that certain room configuarations are below the lobby level. However, rest assured that booking our queen deluxe or king deluxe rooms will guarantee room placement on the hgher floors of the hotel. We do hope that you will come back to Kimpton, in Old Town or anywhere else around the country. If I can be of any assistance with futire reservation to help with a restful night's sleep, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Regards,

Reviewed April 21, 2014

I love Morrison House. The staff is welcoming and friendly, the interiors are elegant and comfortable, and the food is very good. The early evening reception is a great opportunity to meet other guests and sit and talk while nibbling on grilled french bread topped with various treats and sipping a nice white or red wine. The van service to and from Reagan National is pleasant and convenient. I was on a lower floor but my room was perfectly quiet. I had a corner room, so I wondered if I'd hear traffic or street noise on one side or the other, but blissful silence ruled.

The hotel is wonderfully convenient to the shops and restaurants of Old Town, and within walking distance to so much. I left rested and happy.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear Tom M,

Morrison House loves you! We're so glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience in Old Town with us. Remember us next time you are ready for a little R&R.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

The Morrison House is perfectly located in the middle of Old Town Alexandria, midway up and down King St. This property, one of the three owned by Kimpton in Alexandria, is a classic Federal style building with corresponding furnishings in both the public and private rooms. All of the staff make it very clear that they want your stay to be as pleasant as possible--whatever you need or want is yours for the asking. As a member of Kimpton (just sign up and receive newsletters and deals if you want), we received a weekend special that was significantly below their rack rate so then it was an extra special treat. All of Kimpton's properties are "pet-friendly" but we, sans pets, requested a pet-free room which they keep on a separate floor from all the others. I was concerned about a possible cacophony of barking dogs, but I heard not a single one, and when I asked they said that they are very serious about keeping on the owners to keep their pets inline to not bother others; so it seems to work for everybody. Kimpton has many other properties around the country that I am looking forward to trying as well for a hopefully similar experience.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cliff F
Kate E, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2014

Dear Cliff,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed the perfect Kimpton experience our staff strive to provide. We're sure to have some more deals over the summer, so please stayed tuned and we will look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed April 7, 2014

We lucked into a stay at this lovely property by way of the Hotel Monaco (an overbooking situation). Normally I would have been very put out with this inconvenience but the staff at both hotels could not have been more accommodating and helpful. Location is excellent, close to upscale shopping and a variety of restaurants - within walking distance. Convenient on site parking which is hard to come by in and around King Street. We enjoyed a suite with lovely sitting room, nice size bedroom and adjoining bath. Accommodations were updated, bedding luxurious and top shelf amenities. The piano bar was a nice surprise and offered a variety of entertainment. Complimentary wine hour and coffee/tea in the mornings a plus. We will return when in the area.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
ManagerKateEllis, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Dear Travelmom29,

So glad that you happened upon us and we were in the right place at the right time to help. We'd love to welcome you back (on purpose this time!) so please let me know when you will be in the area again. Wine hour happens daily, and we host the piano bar on Tuesdays and Saturdays, so come on by!

Reviewed March 24, 2014

The Morrison House is a beautiful hotel. The location is perfect. Go right out the front door and you are in Old town. Lots of shops and restaurants.
The rooms are small but well appointed. If you want to stay somewhere outside the city of DC with charm and sophistication this is the place.

Room Tip: The rooms with the king size beds are below ground level but we did not feel closed in. There is a w...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Cheryl G

Dear Cheryl G,

We are so glad that you enjoyed the hotel, and that you were able to appreciate all Old Town has to offer just Like us Locals. Spring has finally sprung so come back and visit us in full bloom!

Cheers,

Reviewed March 24, 2014

We love staying here, quick walk to all the shops. Very nice having valet service. bellman, is always on top of everything. My only disappointment was that they have open mic with the piano on Saturday night instead of Friday night, so we missed the big show. We would have had breakfast on Saturday morning, but they did not open till 8 am, we are early risers and had to hit the road early to get home. I would think 7 am would be better.

Room Tip: Make sure you hit the Piano Bar.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank john b

Dear john b,

Thank you for the five star reviews! Hopefully you will come back again soon and allow us the opportunity to earn back that last star on the overall rating. When you are ready to stay with us next time, please reach out to me directly and let me know what we can do to make that happen!