“A gem of a hotel just off King Street”

Morrison House, Autograph Collection
Ranked #19 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Omaha, Nebraska
“A gem of a hotel just off King Street”
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is in a perfect location on a quiet street off of King Street. The room on the 4th floor was quiet, well sized, with nice if older anenities and a great high bed. The hotel is good on all of the big stuff and is off only on the step between four and five stars---the service was a little argumentative or indifferent at times (as opposed to warm), the minibar was never completely restocked for three nights, there were some cracks and minor nicks in the furnishings. These are minor things and given the location and the price this is an exceptional value.

• Stayed July 2013
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 15, 2013
Dear EWWARIN,

Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write this review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed our location, your room and that you found us to be an exceptional value.
I have to admit that I’m disappointed that our team did not show you the consistent warm service we are known for.
I will defiantly share your important feedback with our entire team and in particular with our new team members.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Tobias

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
frank1212dc
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Well done boutique hotel. Nice touches in the room especially if you are a Kimpton member such as $10 credit for the minibar, IPOD docking unit, cupcake in room upon arrival, and great pillows. Understated rooms in great location. We stayed there and walked to Eve Restaurant 3 blocks away. Be aware valet parking is $25 and I don't think you have a choice but its part of the experience and comfort they provide. Stayed on the top floor (5) and must say their elevator is the fastest I have ever experienced. Unexpected in a historic building!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear frank1212dc,

Thank you for choosing the Morrison House and thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with other travelers.
It is great to hear that you took advantage of the great perks our Kimpton In Touch membership has to offer and that you enjoyed your experience with us.
We hope to welcome you back soon so you can take our super fastest elevator for another spin.

Westborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 30, 2013

The rooms are extremely comfortable and quiet; the food is first-rate; and the location, in the heart of Alexandria, is charming. My wife and I have stayed at the Morrison House 3 times this year, and the quality has always been the same. But what really makes this hotel excel is its staff. Everyone seems effortlessly competent, happy to be there, and focused on making their guests truly comfortable.The Morrison House feels like a well-appointed home with a staff that has been with the family for years.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear ADGrantley,

Wow, thank you for this awesome review. We truly appreciate you great comments and your loyalty to the Morrison House. It means a lot to us to be called “the best in the area” and it will be my pleasure to share your kind words with our entire team.
We are looking forward to welcome you back to your fourth stay this year.

Respectfully,

Massachusetts
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We've just returned from our first stay at the Morrison House and we are so glad we gave it a try. First and foremost the staff were all so welcoming and helpful! The room was extremely comfortable, the public areas are very pleasant and the hotel is in a great location. Congratulations to the Morrison House for getting so many things right.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello aterg1,

Thank you for choosing the Morrison House for your first time. It is exciting to read that you had such a great time with us. I hope that we will become your new home away from home whenever you are traveling into our area. Please come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed June 29, 2013

Thank God only stayed here for one night. Let me first say the staff was great. The young lady at the front desk was pleasant & the bell man & valet were really helpful & professional. We were on the 8th day of our road trip having stayed at the Omni at Championsgate for 3 nights & the wonderful Carolina Inn Chapel Hill the past 4 nights.

We wanted to stay in Alexandria for a night to be close to Old Town. The location of this hotel can't be beaten. Valet Parking is $25. The problem with this place is if you do top secret hotels through Travelocity & win - you will be booked in a subterranean room where it is rather dark. I might guess the rooms in the upper level are nicer. The hotel almost tries to trick you that the basement is level 1 & up from the lobby through its elevator. As for these basement rooms they shouldn't be rented out - rather used for storage. The bed in our room was ok- kept running into the base board of the bed as the room is quite small & we had a 2 poster bed & not 4. Decided to close the window as we were below ground. & people could see in. Toilet flush was weak but adequate I suppose. Bathroom fairly clean. Bed rather squeeky. Worse was the loud air and the noisy hall as the door insulation between rooms is poor. Room had fridge but stocked with hotel beverages. Nice touch was the dimmable lights for the night but you wish the room was brighter in day. I would much rather stay at a regular Holiday Inn express than the basement but I suppose if you pay the regular price the upper rooms would be nice. I would have checked out after one night because it almost felt like sleeping in my parent's basement. So my advice book through Hotel website & make sure you don't book Top Secret through Travelocity.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Golftraveler1
Dear Golftraveler1,

Thank you for your feedback and for the kind comments about the helpfulness and professionalism of our team. I like to apologize that you were not satisfied with your room assignment. I would be happy to assist you to reserve one of our deluxe rooms if your travels bring you back into our area. All of our deluxe rooms are located on the top floors of our hotel and base on your feedback I’m confident that you will enjoy them. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me directly. You can reach me at: tobias.arff@morrisonhouse.com.

Respectfully,

Downingtown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I recently spent a night at the Morrison House in Alexandria. In the interest of full disclosure, I booked my stay through a discount site that did not name the hotel until my credit card had been charged and I paid less than the published rate. Prior to my departure, I read the reviews of the hotel on Trip Advisor and was dismayed to learn that I would probably be given a first floor room, that is to say, a room in the basement and yes, that is what happened. However, the room was fine – nicely appointed, very clean, and adequately sized (certainly larger than most European hotel rooms). Our king bed was soft and comfy, and neither of us found much to complain about. The only drawback was the window which was smaller than most hotel windows and looked out on the street where we could see only the tires of cars. No problem, we simply closed the curtains which I would have done anyway when we retired for the night. Oh, and one of the bedside table lamps did not work properly, but I called the front desk and the lamp was replaced within five minutes. The staff was lovely and very responsive, the public rooms were charming, and the biggest advantage to this hotel is its wonderful location close to the stores and cafes on King Street. Would I have felt differently if I had paid full price? Maybe. But it’s a good hotel, the inconveniences are minor, and for your money, whatever you pay, you get a great location in an interesting and fun place to visit, plus it’s close to the sights of Washington D.C. at considerably less expense than you would pay there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Trina J
Dear Trina J,

Thank you for the great feedback. It is awesome to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I’m glad that you found our hotel to be a great value and that you took advantage of our central location. It is good to hear that our team fixed the lamp in your room immediately but I’m sorry that we did not catch this prior to your arrival.
We hope to welcome you back soon,

Grant-Valkaria, Florida
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Just recently stayed at the Kimpton, and it was a great trip. The staff was great, smiling, and all around met all my requests. My room was well appointed, clean, and taken care of. I enjoyed the wine happy hour, and wished I was able to partake in it more than one evening.
I got a kick out ot the Saturday evening sing along, which appeared to be a singing club, and I was thankful I didn't have to sing. Altough I was working all weekend, my girlfriend and I had a great time while staying there.
It was my first time staying at a Kimpton, and hopefully not my last.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Patrick G,

I truly appreciate that you took the time to write this awesome review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed our friendly staff and that your overall experience with us was such a great one. We hope to welcome you back soon for more free wine, good music and many more genuine smiles.