“Morrison House--charm with some flaws” 3 of 5 stars

Kimpton Morrison House
Ranked #15 of 52 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Boston, Mass.
“Morrison House--charm with some flaws”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I stayed at Morrison House recently while in DC for a one-day business meeting nearby in Alexandria. The location is lovely, on a side street just off King Street near the center of the Old Town district, in a nicely kept brick building with black shutters and a little round portico at the entrance--very Middle Atlantic-looking.

Like a lot of Kimpton hotels, the Morrison House works hard on atmosphere, and mostly gets that right, but gets a few of the nuts-and-bolts things wrong. My room was cozy and tastefully decorated, but the key didn't work on the first try (the doorman who came to help me with it said this was a common problem with their keys), hot water in the shower was lukewarm at 8PM, the air conditioning did not seem to respond very well to thermostat adjustments, and the wi-fi was comically slow.

If these sorts of glitches don't bother you, the place has some genuine charm. The night I was there, they were having a piano bar karaoke session in the dining room, with a two-man band and a DJ running the sound system as a large, convivial group of mostly older patrons sang everything from Peggy Lee to Elton John, some of them quite well. It was fun and different, and almost made up for the lukewarm shower.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank nightchef
morrison_house, General Manager at Kimpton Morrison House, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear nightchef,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. I’m disappointing that your recent stay did not meet the high standards we are known for.
I like to ensure you that the problems you had are not common at our hotel. Our keys usually work flawless, we just upgraded all of our thermostats to one of the newest and most advanced products out there and our guests usually always enjoy a hot shower.
I’m excited to let you know that we just signed a contract to upgrade our wireless internet service. I truly hope that I will get the opportunity to welcome you back so you can experience our new lightning fast internet and the high level of service we are known for.
Please contact me directly at: tobias.arff@morrisonhouse.com if there is anything I can assist you with in the future and again my apologies for our shortcomings.

Tobias

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
America
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed with my new wife for 2 nights at this hotel upon recommendation from my uncle who is a frequent patron of the hotel. I must admit the classic elegance of the rooms blew me away and i was quite pleased with the amenities offered. We didn't get to try the wine specials or the hotel restaurant but we saw quite a few guests having a good time. Proximity to everything in downtown Alexandria was great and we had no problem venturing out . The rooms had actual keys insted of key cards , definitely forced me to take care of my room key.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Monsieur C
Dear TravelLongTyme,

The entire team at the Morrison House likes to congratulate you on your recent marriage.
Thank you for the kind comments about your experience with us. We truly hope that we will be able to welcome you back soon, possible for your 1st anniversary?

All the best,

Toms River, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This was our third stay. Excellent, courteous and helpful staff. Beautiful rooms. In the heart of Old Town in Alexandria, Virginia. Decor of reading room is great. Would highly recommend it. Room rates are not expensive. Do not know if they have a workout facility or pool on site.

• 5 of 5 stars
morrison_house, General Manager at Kimpton Morrison House, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear FHC1,

Thank you for being a loyal guest at the Morrison House. I’m glad that you enjoyed our location the décor and our courteous and helpful staff.
All of our hotel guests are more than welcome to use the pool and the gym of our sister property Hotel Monaco. It is just a few blocks up the road and free of charge for you.
Thanks for your great feedback and please keep coming back to us.

Grove, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I stayed here for about 2 weeks on business. The hotel is in a superb location (1 block away from "Old Town" main drag.) The valet only parking here is about $25 a day which really eats into your wallet if staying for an extended period of time but this cost is comparable with other nearby hotels. My room was rather small and the bathroom facilities a bit outdated but the bed was extremely comfortable and the room clean. They offer complimentary wine every night for an hour which was fantastic. Despite a few aspects about the hotel I didn't care for what really makes this hotel shine is the staff willing to meet your every need. The Morrison House is a quaint and cozy hotel that I would recommend for a weekend, honeymoon or special event stay but feel there are better options around if your looking for extended stay type accommodations.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 5 of 5 stars
morrison_house, General Manager at Kimpton Morrison House, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear CountryBoy70,

Thank you for choosing the Morrison House and thank you for writing this review.
It is awesome to hear that you truly enjoyed our staff and our complementary daily evening wine reception.
Please let me know if you are planning to return to our area. I would like to personally assist you in making your next extended stay as enjoyable as possible. You can reach me directly at: tobias.arff@morrisonhouse.com

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

The Morrison House is a great little hotel in Old Town, Alexandria. The staff really sets this property apart. Without exception they are kind, courteous, and always willing to do whatever you need done during your stay. The hotel is small, which can be a good thing if you're not intersted in being over run with big crowds of people. The restuarant food was good at breakfast and dinner. The rooms are small but nicely appointed and very clean. I will have no problem staying again.

2 Thank travelingcoroner
morrison_house, General Manager at Kimpton Morrison House, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Hello travelingcoroner,

I am glad you found our staff to be kind and courteous and that you had a super stay with us.
Thank you for the nice review and for choosing the Morrison House. We hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Princeton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Morrison House is a beautiful hotel located in the middle of old town Alexandria. The hotel has the charm and coziness of a delightful B&B but with the service and ammenities you would expect from a deluxe hotel. It is only a few minutes walk to the waterfront and historic Alexandria sites. Big hotels can make you feel like you are just a room number, at the Morrison house they make you feel like you are coming home.

1 Thank Michael_S46756
Dear Michael_S46756,

I wanted to send you a quick note to thank you for taking the time to review the Morrison House on Trip Advisor. I’m glad that we made you feel like you are coming home. We try to go the extra mile to make every guests experience as comfortable and special as possible and I’m excited that we accomplished this during your recent stay.

Please come back home soon,

Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

WE stayed at the Morrison House in Late April. We had experience with the hotel prior to it becoming a Kimpton property. There was no question that the service has significantly improved. We did not have one contact with staff that was less than exceptional on their part. From being met by the valet, to the front dest to the house keeping staff they were great. Coffee in the morning and wine in the afternoon were a nice bonus. We found the room comfortable and the online price we obtained was very competitive for the area. It is conveniently located for Old Town as well as the Metro into WDC. We will stay again and recommend to others.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear BuckyandChris,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write this nice review. I’m so excited to hear that you felt that the service has significantly improved since we, the Kimpton folks, took over the Morrison House seven years ago.

We can’t wait to welcome you back!