New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Kimpton Morrison House
Ranked #13 of 53 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Sugar Land, Texas
“A great place to stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at this lovely boutique hotel last week and absolutely loved it! I cant say enough great things about it. Great location--easy walking distance to the main street in Old Town. Excellent, over-the-top friendly and attentive staff. Clean and beautiful. I'd return in a heartbeat.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
morrison_house, General Manager at Kimpton Morrison House, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear Jane T,

Thanks a million for staying with us while visiting Old Town Alexandria. It is great to read such an overall positive review. We cannot wait to welcome you again soon.

Best wishes,

Tobias

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Halifax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

This boutique hotel was superb little find. We had never heard of the Kimpton brand before. Although we were unable to successfully contact the hotel from Reagan to arrange for shuttle service to the hotel, we were able to use that service on return to the airport. The hotel is about 15 minute walk from the King St. metro station (although we walk briskly and don't view rolling our luggage that distance to be an impediment; others might). Had no problems finding the hotel. We found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. We had a beautiful room on the top floor which was extremely comfortable. We had received several perks as a result of signing up for the Kimpton's loyalty program on booking and took full advantage of those. The complimentary wine and hors d'oevres in late afternoon is a nice touch. We cannot comment on the restaurant breakfast as we found the room service price for breakfast to be so reasonable, we opted for that. We felt like we were treated like royalty and would recommend this hotel to other travellers. Hope to stay again when we return to the Washington area.

Room Tip: In light of some recent comments I see here, and based on my travel experience generally, upper floo...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Leanne_Bear,

Thank you very much for choosing the Morrison House and for your kind words. I’m glad that you discovered Kimpton and I hope that you will have the chance to experience some of our other awesome properties throughout the country. I’m sorry to hear that you were able to contact us from Regan National airport to request our complementary shuttle. It is fantastic to read that you had such a great experience and that you felt that we treated you like royalty. Please come back soon!

Tobias Arff
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

My mom and I enjoyed our stay at the Morrison House. It was not quite as posh as I expected but the room was comfortable, the staff was friendly and attentive, and the location in Alexandria could not be beat.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Chaz717,

Thank you for choosing the Morrison House for your trip with your mom. It is great to read that you enjoyed our location and our friendly staff. The Morrison House is designed to give you European flair, Early American charm, and Kimpton's signature style.
We hope to welcome you back soon.

Yours,

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

The location of this hotel is perfect! It's on a quiet street but right next to all of the action in Old Town Alexandria. I thought the staff was very friendly and accomodating which also made the stay nice. The common areas of the hotel were also beautifully decorated and very nice. The negative points would be the breakfast - it was overpriced (but good coffee, which is free if you walk into the lobby instead of ordering it in the restuarant?) and just overly bad and the room. All in all, I think that I just got a fluke room because it was on the bottom floor of the hotel. Actually had to go down in the elevator, into the basement type area with rooms. Anyway, not much natural light was able to get into the room as the view out of the window which was over my head (think basement) was of another building - so that makes things look much darker and drearier. There was also water damage to the door frame which just made the room look worn. On the positive note, the bed was very comfortable and the hand written note from the conceirge or property manager was a very nice touch.
Overall, not a bad stay, not a great stay. Pretty average.

Room Tip: If they try to put you on floor one, it's the basement, ask for a room on the upper floors.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear amkoesq,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I appreciate the positive comments about our staff and our location. It is however disappointing to hear that our room did not meet your expectations. Please reach out to me directly at tobias.arff@morrisonhouse.com if you plan to come back. I would like to personally assist you with the room assignment to ensure you are in one of our deluxe rooms that are located on the upper floors of our hotel.

Respectfully,

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I love the Kimpton brand, and whenever I go to a city with a Kimpton Hotel I go out of my way to stay at the hotel. They set an industry standard in their friendliness, and provide a very comfortable stay always bringing their own quirky twist to things. Unfortunately I don't think that the Morrison House is a good example of the brand. I had a nice stay there this week but it didn't live up to the legendary Kimpton service.

The hotel is perfectly located in the midst of Old Town Alexandria - an easy .7 mile walk from the metro (or you can take the free shuttle). It is set just a block off King Street, close enough to be right in the midst of things and far enough away that you don't get too much noise. The hotel is really gorgeous inside, and has beautiful classical furnishings. The have the very nice lines (including the double-sheeted comforter with the subtle animal design) that are pretty standard throughout the Kimpton system, the iHome with an iPod dock (another Kimpton standard) as well as the black-label Kimpton amenities (along with makeup remover and ear buds in the bathrooms) and decent if not great pillows. The rooms are small but well-appointed.

That's the good stuff. Here's the not-so-good:

-Shower water pressure varies wildly throughout the shower, going from strong to dribbling back to strong. Luckily the temperature does not fluctuate as much, but still fluctuates enough to make us have to continually adjust it throughout a <5 minute shower. Annoying.

-No more animal print bathrobes. What?! This is a staple of the Kimpton line! They said they were going for something more "plain" and certainly have accomplished it with their boring beige robes lined with some hideously scratchy microfiber-ish interior. I made mine only marginally wearable by turning it inside-out.

-We had a fire alarm going off periodically and then for a looooong time Sunday morning at 10 a.m. I called the front desk and they neither apologized nor explained just said it was "in error" and we should "ignore it". We tried. I was a little shocked that no one followed up later this evening with a letter under the doors apologizing for the weekend morning annoyance.

-The hallmark for me of a Kimpton stay is the friendly staff. This is only my second Kimpton experience in which this wasn't the case, the first being the rather sketchy Hotel Rouge, but the Morrison House staff don't greet guests coming or going from the hotel, despite the elevator being less than 10 feet from the front door. No "Welcome back!" or "Have a nice evening!" much less greeting longer term guests by name, just silence and clicking keys.

-When we checked in (with 4 heavy bags) we ended up lugging everything except my computer bag up the winding flight of stairs to the front desk ourselves. The hotel "butler" came out, didn't particularly greet us, just took my laptop bag away (thanks guy, the 50 lb suitcase would have been more helpful), then just stayed inside while we hauled everything else inside. Until the front desk told us otherwise, I thought he was another guest who had taken pity on us and helped us a bit with the first set of bags, but ignored us otherwise.

-Pretty significant noise in the hallway outside our door - not because other guests are loud, the soundproofing is just that bad. I could hear every word said in the hall within 20 feet of us in either direction. Luckily the other guests were considerate!

I hate giving anything but a 5 star review to a Kimpton property because I love the brand so much, but I have to be honest. All in all, wouldn't go out of my way to stay here again, and wish we'd chosen one of the other Kimpton properties in Alexandria. I'm really not sure how this hotel received a AAA Four Diamond rating.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
morrison_house, General Manager at Kimpton Morrison House, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear BlueBear92,

Thank you for your important feedback and thank you for your loyalty to Kimpton Hotels. I am disappointed that you did not feel that your recent experience met the high standards we are known for. I’m sorry for the inconvenience the fire alarm caused you and that you felt our communication could have been more effective. We should have communicated to you right after we finished the investigation what the reason for the alarm was. The fact is that one of our compressors malfunctioned which affected the water pressure in our sprinkler system and ultimately set off the alarm. If I would have been in your shoes I would have appreciated to know that the safety was never compromised during this alarm. I like to ensure you that the issue has been fixed and that I shared your comments with our entire team.
The Kimpton animal print robes are indeed a signature item at our Hotels and they life in many of our guestrooms. We believe that the unique look however does not fit in all of our properties and we decided with the help of our awesome design team what the best fit for each of our properties might be.
I fully understand and appreciate that everybody’s taste is different and I would be more than happy to provide the signature robes for you up on your return.
The high level of service we provide is extremely important to us and I need to apologize for the shortcomings you expedited. I truly hope that you will give me the opportunity to welcome you back and to show you why we are the longest standing AAA Four Diamond property in Virginia.
Please contact me directly at tobias.arff@morrisonhouse.com if there is anything I can assist you with in the future.

Respectfully,

Tobias Arff
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Our first visit which will be the beginning of many to come. A true historic gem on Alfred street. Upon arrival we were upgraded to a suite. The decor is traditional to the period. Our room was beautiful. There are so many 5 star qualities here but the brightest is their customer service. We booked a return trip in october. Old Town ALexandria is one block to fanulous shopping and historic sights.

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars
morrison_house, General Manager at Kimpton Morrison House, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Mimi0527,

I truly appreciate your fantastic feedback. I’m glad that we were able to upgrade you to one of our suites and that you had an overall awesome experience.
Please contact me at tobias.arff@morrisonhouse.com before your return trip in October. I would love to meet you and to thank you in person.

See you in a few months,

Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Very nice building with comfy beds and nice rooms. The bar and food were perfect. The bar is not a loud drunk crowd, it's nice with a piano and table seating. Staff was very very friendly. Good location for walking to food and shopping. Great place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Wal-Dawg,

Thank you for choosing the Morrison House for your stay in Old Town Alexandria. I enjoyed reading the nice comments about our location and service. Thank you also for the nice comments about our award winning piano bar and our on-site restaurant the Grill. I hope to welcome you back soon.

Yours,