WINNER WONDERLAND

Kimpton Morrison House
Ranked #14 of 54 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Austin, Texas
“Amazing getaway and gateway to DC.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

My girlfriend and I spent four nights here in early March, 2013. We both used to work as managers for Four Seasons Hotels, and know good service when we receive it. As soon as we turned the corner off of King St. we were welcomed by Jose who rushed out of the hotel and assisted us with our luggage and welcomed us to the property. While we were there Leslie and Sabrina were so kind and informative of the local sites and what to do while we were in town. We were always met with kind smiles from the front desk, housekeeping, and bell staff whenever we encountered them. We loved the complimentary wine hour each evening, a nice surprise after several long days walking around the National Mall and museums.

The property itself is so beautifully decorated and the neighborhood surrounding it is something we've never really experienced before. It's really an amazing place to stay if you're thinking of visiting DC, just a short 10 minute or so walk (or even shorter complimentary Trolley ride) away to King station.

This is our second time staying at a Kimpton hotel, our first was at the Palomar property in San Diego, CA. We had such a good time at the Palomar that we decided to book with the Morrison House. The next Kimpton hotel we stay at will have to work extra hard to top the service, quality, and charm of the Morrison House. Thanks for making our stay so memorable!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank tanstaafl82
morrison_house, General Manager at Kimpton Morrison House, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Dear tanstaafl82,

It means a lot to us to receive such a glowing review especially as it comes from somebody who is very familiar with the hospitality industry. It was my pleasure to share your kind words with our entire team and in particular with Jose, Leslie and Sabrina. We are looking forward to welcome you back.

Tobias

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Arlington, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

Stayed here for business. Had a meeting in DC and when the hotels are full - I'll stay in Alexandria and take the Metro downtown.

First time staying at the Morrison, but have always been happy with Kimpton service. Well...I walked from the Metro stop to the hotel and passed another Kimpton property The Lorien on my trek and the doorman (being Kimpton) said "Hi, are you staying with us?" "No, at your other property the Morrison House." I liked that, however take a cab from the metro stop unless you like a 10 block walk with the clicking of your suitcase on the pavement bricks. Cab ride will cost you about $9-10.

The minute I walked in to the hotel I was spoiled rotten. Completely informed of everything provided on a complimentary basis, etc. Went to my room and I had been upgraded to a suite Room 509. This is the room that they show on the web site.

I like historic hotels, and since I was only there one night I didn't use the sitting room or need all the space. I will say that I liked the cookies that were left for me! And the bed was super comfy. I always like a makeup mirror and they had one. Wireless worked fine and I got a Wall Street Journal the following morning with voucher for continental breakfast which was yummy in the bar.

The only drawback was a mid-atlantic mustiness; age and humidity. Needed a good airing out.

Outside of that I found it charming and all other guests seemed very happy.

I liked their Grill and will review that separately.

Room Tip: I wouldn't book a room in the basement. I booked a higher floor queen and was upgraded to a sui...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Meenanall
morrison_house, General Manager at Kimpton Morrison House, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Hello Meenanall,

Thank you for your great review. I was happy to read that our staff treated you well and informed you about everything our Hotel has to offer. I’m glad to hear that your enjoyed your room and that you even had time to experience our excellent restaurant the Grill during your short stay.
Have you tried the trolley strolling down King Street? The free King Street Trolley runs every 15 minutes between N. Union Street and the King Street Metro station from 11:30 a.m. to 10:15 p.m. One of the stops is right in the heart of Old Town Alexandria where the Morrison House is located. We also provide complementary shuttle service from and to Reagan National Airport if this is the location you are flying in to.
Thank you again for this awesome feedback. I hope to welcome you back soon.

Respectfully,

San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2013

Positive: The staff is amazing. I mean amazing. The entire team is friendly, efficient, thoughtful, and just all around great at their jobs. The location is super convenient and in the heart of Old Town. Complimentary airport shuttle as well.
Neutral: The building itself is charming. Do not expect modern and new, but rather well-preserved and quaint. Very nice Federal–style architecture.
Negative: None.

Sometimes you meet a hotel team that is so welcoming and professional that they make you feel at home. This is what happens at the Morrison House.

Room Tip: I was given a corner room on the top floor with a gorgeous view of the George Washington Masonic Mem...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear mirandajjl,

Thank you for the wonderful review and for choosing to stay at the Morrison House. I appreciate the nice comments about our staff, your guest rooms and our unique style. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and I’m happy to read that we made you feel at home. I hope we have the opportunity to see you again soon.

Burke, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a anniversary get-away for one night. The hotel staff went out of their way to make it a completely enjoyable from the moment we arrived at the door until the minute we drove away. They provided a beautiful room, provided a complementary bottle of wine, turned down the covers while we were out for dinner, and stowed our bags at the front desk while we stepped out for breakfast.

The hotel is right off King's St and the perfect location to stroll through Old Town. The hotel was easy to get to. If I have one critical comment, it would be that the parking fee ($25) was a bit much, but it was a wash when we looked at parking further away and then taking a taxi. If you can avoid the fee for a car you won't use while in Alexandria, do it.

The great surprise of the evening was in The Grille restaurant/bar after spending most of the night out. There was an informal group of folks singing songs with the jazz duo (piano and trumpet). The singing talent was truly impressive and the atmosphere made the night for us.

Room Tip: Room 512 (or other corner rooms, have two walls of windows and great views.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear garykramlich,

Happy Anniversary from everyone at the Morrison House and thank you for staying with us.
I’m happy to read that you enjoyed your room our service and our awesome piano bar. I’m glad that my team surprised you with a little amenity to celebrate your special occasion. Hopefully we'll see you for your next anniversary.

Palo Alto, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

This is a small, intimate hotel/Inn in the heart of Old Towne Alexandria. It has a very historic, residential feel and they have done a great job of creating a peaceful environment - elegant sitting areas, classical music, friendly staff - you get the picture. The rooms are small, but comfortable and nicely appointed. There is a cozy bar with a friendly bar tender and they have an elegant restuarant with high quality food. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Basement rooms are a good value, and perfectly fine for 1-2 guests
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
morrison_house, General Manager at Kimpton Morrison House, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear venturer2009,

I’m glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you took advantage of our great restaurant the Grill. I hope you also had the chance to check out our piano bar. I suggest that you treat yourself to one of our deluxe king rooms or even a suite to get some extra space the next time you are in town. Please don’t tell anybody but they are actually not that much more expensive.

Thanks for the great feedback,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

From the minute we walked in we felt like we where not only welcome but also that they wanted us there. The general manager greeted us and everyone we encountered as far as the staff, we're wonderful.
We dined in the restaraunt the first night and that was very nice the food was great and the service was perfect. We will go back again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear innkeepercg,

Thank you for this great feedback. I’m glad that I had the opportunity to personally welcome you that you enjoyed your recent experience with us. We are looking forward to welcome you back.

Thanks again,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

My beautiful bride and I were married at Morrison House on Feb 9th 2013. We wanted an elegant, intimate affair for 20 guests and we couldn't have chosen a better location. Sara and Anne in catering were fantastic from the very start and all the other staff we're detailed and responsive. We stayed in a suite Rm 509 and were greeted with freshly baked cookies and a card. The suite itself was well appointed and quite roomy with a seperate sitting area. If you're a foodie do consider The Grille, which is really quite good, preparing locally sourced ingredients with an obvious attention to detail. All in all Morrison House feels more like a grand manor house rather than a hotel. It's elegant, sophisticated and charming, befitting the character of Old Town.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
morrison_house, General Manager at Kimpton Morrison House, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Colin M,

Congratulations to a beautiful couple. Wishing you a wonderful journey as you build your new life together.
We hope to welcome you back to the Morrison House for your anniversary. It would be my pleasure to assist you in the planning.